Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 21 September 2008
I wasn't sure what to expect of this book as it was the first I had read by the author, but the premise of a book where a character literally goes to hell had me interested and I had heard nothing but good things about it so I decided to give it a try. I have to say I was very very impressed.

Shortly after Cassie's twin sister, Lissa, commits suicide, Cassie and her father move into a new house in a small town to try and get on with their lives.

I cant say much about how Cassie gets to be in hell because I dont want to give away plot spoilers but basically, Cassie is something called and Etheress, which is very rare and special in hell, meaning that she is capeable of entering hell despite being alive. She agree's to go to hell - which is a massive city called the Mephistopolis - when two ghosts tell her they will lead her to her sister if she agree's to go there and help them...and so Cassie literally goes to hell to save her sister.

It goes from a 5 star book to a 5 million star book once Cassie enters hell and things really pick up. Edward Lee certainly has an incredible imagination. His descriptions of the city of hell and the horrifying events occuring in endless ways everywhere Cassie looks, are very clever and extremely origional and creative.

As well as this, I found Cassie to be a very likeable character and the book is funny in places, which is always a good thing :)

Extremely highly recomended to all horror fans.
on 11 September 2013
I've recently become familiar with the horror god that is Sir Edward Lee after purchasing the brilliant Header film on dvd (his novella of the same name), and then I went on to mentally salivate and indulge myself to my heart's content of his superb Brain Cheese Buffet book, so, after recently reading THIS masterpiece - City Infernal - I thoroughly enjoyed visiting 'Hell' with him and his characters by my side as we explored, observed, experienced and emerged from the other side terrified and turned-on at the same time, it's THAT good. Now that is a talent if an author can induce such strong emotions within a reader and leave them yearning and aching for more, much more of the same and disheartened when getting to the last page and wanting to continuing reading so, I am delighted to know that there are a few other books in this series! *Bites hand gently with glee and joy and orders them from Amazon immediately.*

Edward Lee's unrivaled talent of descriptive prose, the way he effortlessly and masterfully heightens the anticipation of the reader and then releases it like a pressure valve, and then pounces again upon your mind and senses with seductive skill, is the work of a literary genius.

Even Satan himself would applaud and approve of this book I reckon. (I don't personally believe in Satan myself, but if he does exist, then I recommend this book to him lol, asap!)

I can't wait to read Mr Lee's other brilliant books in this enthralling gripping series of them!

I am progressively building my collection of his stories as I've heard that within each of them he injects his famed and powerful orgasmic doses of: spectacular suspense, thrilling terror, sinister smiles, and a feeling of 'what the f...' as you pore over certain sentences and yet STILL want to read more as it really is that good in my opinion. When funds allow, I'm getting hardback versions to treasure on my bookshelf.

I highly-recommend City Infernal if you have: a vivid imagination and are not easily shocked by graphic images and terminology, a cast-iron stomach (I am partial to tucking into a sandwich and glass of vodka when reading, as bugger all shocks me lol as that's how I am), and a warped yet healthy sense of humour as Mr Lee has one himself.

Love it! More please Mr Lee! *Bows before the horror god, claps and smiles*
on 23 November 2005
Cassie, a young dispossessed goth in the middle of a family crisis finds a door to hell and unflinchingly steps through. I loved this book, I was intrigued from the first page. Edward Lee's style reminds me very much of Clive Barker, his descriptions are stunning and his imagination vast. I was right beside Cassie every second of her bizzare and fantastic journey.
on 11 May 2002
I never knew visting Hell could be so interesting. This book is pretty gory and gross, do not read this before you go to sleep. But once you start reading you WILL not want to put it down. The chacters were great and the story line was very interesting. Although the book could have ended a little better. Now I have to wait for City Infernal two, to come out. Buy this book you will not be sorry...
on 4 May 2002
I have read other Edward Lee books but this as my favorite. Sure it was gross as well as very good. I could not put it down. Be prepared to have nightmares if you read it before you go to sleep, I sure did.
on 21 January 2007
Edward Lee pitches camp firmly in the elder teen market. The story is interesting fare, with the story of Cassie, a Goth searching for the damned soul of her sister within hell. The notion of hell as a place is clever and the images suitably debauched. Lee's style is well suited to the graphic and the perverse.

Cliches run with abandon but then that is symptomatic of this genre. Good value for younger fans.