Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 21 January 2003
I kid you not this is the funniest book I've ever read, I actually fell off my sofa whilst reading this book I laughed so much and my boyfriend threatened to have me committed.. Noble and Gillian are fabulous characters, He the hapless hero always one step behind the beautiful and courageous heroine and she the delightfully forthright heroine to whom "things just happen" like her unfortunate habit.. this book is a definate keeper if only for the carriage scene which is the most brilliant piece of comic writing I've ever read...Honestly buy it you won't be disapointed.
on 31 October 2011
In one of the reviews the reader said she fell off the sofa laughing. I believe her. A brilliant book. The story in itself is good. A lord believed by the ton to be so cruel he killed his wife because she wanted to leave him for the man she really loved. Apparently she had been barren so he had a child with another woman! He is rumoured to have come to town and is to attend the ball where Gillian (who has been raised in Boston, America) and her younger cousin, having her first season, are attending. Gillian is a fiery red-head, highly intelligent and down to earth. She is also incredibly accident prone and, being half American, gets confused by the ways of the ton. Hence the book starts with her setting fire to the curtains at the ball... Somehow Noble is drawn to the 'Amazon' even though during their first dance she tramples all over his feet and actually asks him if he murdered his wife!!!! Despite all the accidents and her two beloved dogs who have a serious flatulence problem he quickly marries her. After their wedding night at his country estate, Noble returns to town. She follows him with his son Nick. Someone is trying to kill Noble or Gillian or both! Gillian has started to delve into the events surrounding his first wife's death. The situations and catastrophes not to mention the confusions that Gillian gets herself into and her husband's attempts to control her impulses is absolutely hilarious. I laughed so much my eyes were streaming. I'd no sooner controlled myself than Gillian did or said something else that sent me into hysterics. If I'd been in public I'd have been arrested. Hence the warning. I recommend this book to anyone who loves historical romances with a bit of mystery and some beautiful sex. Just be prepared for the funny bits.
on 25 June 2002
I absolutley loved this book. I couldn't stop laughing at the situations the Hero Noble found himself in all because of his new wife. All he wanted was a quite life with a nice biddable female. He was drawn to Gillian but found her to be the opposite of every thing he believed he wanted yet she was everything he needed. The characters and wonderful and endearing. The story is not all light hearted as Noble has dark history that he wants to forget but Gillian is determined to find out everything about her husband so she can win his love. Overall a strong storyline with witty and amusing characters.
Katie MacAlister joined my writers' community at MSN recently, so naturally I dashed off to buy her books since I had not read anything by her. I have been lucky at getting so many really talented writers that I love joining, so I am thrilled to say there is another!!!
This Victorian charmer is funny, heartwarming. I found myself with a big smile on my face nearly all the way through this!!!Her voice is sparkling, perfect for the period!!
25 year old, half-American Gillian Leigh is in London to attend her cousin's coming out season in the ton. She is quite delighted to be a wallflower - provided she could stop doing clutzy things like setting the Dutchess' favourite gold curtains on fire!! She does not waltz - she murders toes!!! She is outspoken, has dogs with a 'problem' that has everyone fanning the air!! She is a quick judge of character and is not afraid to blister her aunt for going along with the ton in giving the cut direct to the Earl of Wessex.
The Earl is in town for the first time in 5 years, following the death/murder??? of his beautiful wife, supposedly at his hands when he found her in the arms of her lover. He wants a wife to produce an heir, a mother for his illegitimate son, but most of all he wants a wife that will cause no problems, no gossip.
Gillian's cousin quickly sets sites on the dark earl knowing reformed rakes make the best husbands, but she sees the earl has eyes for her tall, amazon, redheaded cousin. He is drawn by her open honesty, and despite the smashed toes, black eye, bashed head and broken nose, he thinks Gillian is just what he needs. He will make her a countess, giving her everything - but his heart. However, Gillian is not about to settle for anything less and will wage a war of attrition to get it!!!!
A delightful, wonderfully writen read! Hope to hear more from Katie MacAlister!!
on 13 December 2002
from the first moment I read this book,I giggled like a mad woman.The combination of the unorthodox heroine, the dark handsome hero and the mystery of his wife's murder made sure I couldn't put it down for more than five minutes at a time.
I shall definately keep this one.
Can't wait for her next offering.Hope it will be as funny.
on 24 May 2003
I have rarely read a story that can make me laugh out loud from start to finnish but here is one of the very few.
I picked this one up on the strength of its' reviews but i was still fairly dubious, as i usually prefer to read the blurb before i buy a book. However the previous reviewers were soon proven to be exactly right and i read the book from cover to cover in a couple of hours!
Immediately upon finnishing it i passed it around to all of my bookworm friends and they loved it just as much. I am waiting impatiently for another to to be published but in the mean time, in between re-reading it for the third time and searching for more stories that reach up to its' high standards, i am busy forcing it down the throat of anyone who has yet to enjoy the side-clenching humour!
Hurry and write another Katie!
on 1 April 2013
Excellent funny and totally different than the everyday serious sensible historical novels which are usually the same thing over and over again. This was a first for me by this author and I will defiantly will be checking out her othef works. I smilmed the whole way through and when finished thought about the book for several days, usually once read it will take something unique to make it stay with me. A defiant read for those who want to s how humour and innocence can break down any walls. Would have given it ten stars if I could have. Well done to the author pleae give us more
on 10 September 2012
From the start to the end I was laughing to myself at some of the characters remarks and actions. Really would recommend this book to anyone looking for humour.
on 1 September 2013
I've always loved Georgette Heyer with her authentic writing and tongue in cheek humour. However whilst Georgette had me chuckling, this book had me laughing out loud.
It is NOT a comedy, it is just a fabulously written book with amazingly funny parts. Please don't pass this book by, I got his for free but if I'd known how good it was it would have paid three times the asking price from Kindle.
Go for it..............you won't be disappointed.
on 21 August 2012
Loved it! Hilarious but interjected with very tender moments between Gillian and Noble as well as some hot - and often very funny - sex scenes. Not historically accurate but that doesn't matter in the least because it's one of the best books i've read in ages. Gillian is a fantastic heroine and Noble fully deserves his sobriquet, the Lord of Magnificence. Wonderful stuff!