Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 10 May 1999
It was great, I couldn't put it down. Ryder gets kidnapped by Apaches and while there meets a blonde beauty. It is heart wrenching when this beauty must give up her child made with the Apache cheif of the tribe who caught her. And she and Ryder must learn to forgive and stay together to defeat what seem like imposssible odds to have a love and a child of their own.
on 4 June 1998
This book has everything that makes great books great. It had love, romance, murder, hate, excitement and suspense. I really could not put this book down. I wanted to know what would happen next. Madeline Baker is a great romance writer in the truest sense. Apache Runaway is a must read, because it is Indian romance at its best!!!
on 28 May 2013
This is the first book I read of Native American romance books and I must say that I greatly enjoyed it. Madeline Baker really sets the scene in the first chapter well. I like how the chapters are thought out, always leaving you in excitement and guessing what comes next! I really didn't want to put this book down.

Ryder Fallon is a 'half breed', brave, strong and handsome. Jenny Braedon's character is lovely, very feminine, soft and caring. Very romantic. Not much sex scenes though, if you really want a lot of sex depictions, then this may not be the book for you. However, it keeps you on edge the whole time. What I love about Baker's writing is that she greatly describes what both characters are thinking and FEELING, she doesn't leave you in the dark about that. She depicts anger, great amount of jealousy, happiness. All the characters' psyche is greatly explained which intensifies the story line even more.

The only thing I may criticize is that I thought some events were pretty unrealistic and exaggerated in the story. For example, Jenny ran away from the camp with Ryder, HAD THE BABY in the middle of no where. Then, the chief (the father) came and took the baby, with Ryder's permission as she was laying there just on the hour of birth. Of course she was devastated, and the rest of the story depends on going back and fourth to take the baby away from the Indian camp...which I thought was a little naive. These Indians are Apache's after all, and I doubt Apache Indians would be THAT patient and forgiving with Ryder. After the last kidnapping, Jenny just suddenly realizes that her baby would be happier and safer living with the Indians. Totally just switches her mind! She conveniently gets pregnant then, with Ryder and forgets all about her first son, which I thought was a little insensitive...of them both. But hey, it's just a story and that's only my opinion. I always thought that the Indian chief Kayitah would have killed Ryder already because of his foolish, betraying acts towards the Indian tribe. Ryder and Jenny may have been a little foolish and naive but this book is a great read and I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in Indian romance.
on 27 January 2014
This book had all the makings of a great read. Once Fallon and Jenny had escaped the Apache I expected Jenny to still exhibit that feisty trait of hers. She's been four years in an Apache camp - to survive that and then turn into a silly naïve woman took some accepting. Fallon as well changed and it was as if someone else had taken over the writing and we were seeing their versions of the lead characters . Also for me the passion between the two right from the start wasn't quite raw enough and (this is only a personal observation) I really got fed up with the way he kept calling her 'Jenny girl.' Agree with one of the other reviewers that for the birth scene and stealing the baby back you needed to suspend belief. Madeline Baker has written some great books, but for me this was not one of them.
on 28 January 2010
i enjoyed this book very much. would like to read more with same sort of storyline