5.0 out of 5 stars I don't know what the person under me was thinking!
Published on 15 May 1998

2.0 out of 5 stars Good in some ways, VERY BAD in others.
Okay, I'd like to begin by saying that I thought the story of how Sierra found her faith in God again was very touching. But, the story of she and her husband was very disappointing. I mean, sure, I believe in forgiveness, yet I also believe that repentance is equally important. Alex cheated on his wife and never really apologized or showed her that he was...
Published on 1 Feb 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't know what the person under me was thinking!, 15 May 1998
This review is from: The Scarlet Thread (Paperback)
The person under me who put down a 6 doesn't know what he's talking about! I'm not usually this foward...okay, I'm NEVER this foward, but I have to say my part. It is very true, this book isn't like her other works; she is dealing with the here and now, not ancient times. This book is so very true, and it's one of my favorites by her. I am not one for sappy love stories; they make me sick, especially when the woman does whatever the man says. In this book you see not a sappy woman but a woman torn; she loves the man she married, but is embittered by his decisions without her. And when he betrays her, I personally felt ready to kill him. I URGE you to read this book! This book is one in a million for all ages! I believe that this book ranks up there with her Mark of the Lion series. It's truly a masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Beautiful story of a marriage turned around., 7 Jun 1999
This review is from: The Scarlet Thread (Paperback)
This book was hard to put down. I wanted to get to the end but wanted everything in the middle. It is a story of priorities turned around for the good of the marriage. If only things were done like this in real life. We could prevent alot of divorces. With God all things are possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read book about real life struggles and hope., 6 Mar 1997
This review is from: The Scarlet Thread (Paperback)
"The Scarlet Thread" is a must read for anyone feeling isolated or alone in their struggles. The real life issues that the characters experience shed light on how we all are in this journey together.

From traveling across country not knowing if you'll live or die to the pain of abandonment or divorce, this book offers the reader hope and assurance that there is someone who understands your fears and is always with you -- whether to guide, to listen or to carry you through.

Francine Rivers offers two stories in one and touches on everyone's desire to find purpose and meaning in life. Read this book, you'll be glad you did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 8 Aug 1999
This review is from: The Scarlet Thread (Paperback)
I read this book for the first time a few years ago, and need to come back to it every now and them to reread it. I have to say that in all the years since I read it, I've never quite managed to forgive Alex for making their family move. However, after that first decision was made, all of the characters had bad decisions that they made that they could have reconsidered. I think I liked it because it had real problems, and was realistic; no villains, no perfect saints, just ordinary human beings trying (and sometimes failing miserably) to get along and care about each other. It was also moving to see how truly aiming to live a better life (as Sierra did) could truly change circumstances even when they had gone so far awry. I also realized again that although others may make bad decisions, we are only responsible for our own, but we are thoroughly responsible for those. Someone we love may hurt us greatly, but we can still choose our reaction to them. I would definitely recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow. Why was I so affected?, 4 Nov 1998
This review is from: The Scarlet Thread (Paperback)
This was one of the first Christian fiction works I've read and it really made me think in a way that books don't usually cause. I couldn't forget about it. I thought it was real. I was so drawn into Sierra (who was so stupid, but came around). And I could kind of understand Alex (but that does not excuse him). As Christians we are taught to forgive, but when it comes down to it, it's a tough thing to do. Maybe I liked this because it made me question how I would handle myself in this situation. But I loved it and have recommended it to many friends!

4.0 out of 5 stars Many of our lives have a "Scarlet Thread", 1 Oct 1997
This review is from: The Scarlet Thread (Paperback)
The romance of pioneer spirits that many of us enjoy reading about make this book, not only very relevant and current but a wonderful positive message also.
We see the bridge of generations connected, through the quilt, of those that have left far greater legacies than money ever will. A sense of strength in difficulty, values that never change.

This is the first work I read of Francine Rivers and have since read her new book, Atonement Child and provided copies for my two daughters, 17 and 20. This is the type of book that we can each read and find something relevant to our world of 1997, revisit the romance of the early 1900's and bridge culture, social, economic and spiritual diversity for all.

5.0 out of 5 stars A definite Can't-Put-Down Experience., 28 Jun 1999
This review is from: The Scarlet Thread (Paperback)
The Scarlet Thread was enthralling from start to finish. Ms. Rivers has captured the heart of relationships in America. I could see myself in almost every page. She brings together both the problems and the answers in such a way, that you see not only where you went wrong, but also how to change direction and correct your mistakes. This was the first book written by Francine Rivers that I have ever read....I can't wait for more. Thank you Ms. Rivers for an enlightening and entertaining piece of art.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read it!, 16 April 1999
This review is from: The Scarlet Thread (Paperback)
I love all of Francine River's books. This one was not her best but it was really intresting. Once I started reading I didn't want to put it down. You don't want to miss this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing, real life situations - I'd recommend., 23 Feb 1999
This review is from: The Scarlet Thread (Paperback)
The heroine did make me want to shake her sometimes and yes, it was hard to see her forgive her far from perfect husband. Powerful forgiveness message - that no matter what - deserving or undeserving, right or wrong, we need to forgive. For ourselves first. If you didn't get it the first time, read it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Two centuries, two journeys, one God, 25 Jun 2012
'... it is the men who dream of Oregon. It is as though Heaven itself beckons them and we must all cross hell to get to it.'

Set across different centures, The Scarlet Thread follows the lives of two women who are joined through an old journal as they grapple with their husbands' ambition. Twenty-first century woman Sierra Madrid is less than thrilled when her husband Alex announces that he has accepted a job offer which means they must move hundreds of miles to Los Angeles. She is so upset about the family being uprooted that she fails to see how God could have a hand in any of this, despite her mother's insistance that God has a plan for her life. Suspicious of her husband's new work colleagues and superficial new friendships, Sierra begins to feel like an uneducated country bumpkin and worthless. In her loneliness, she turns to an old family journal for solace and finds her life becoming intertwined with her ancestor Mary Kathryn McMurray.

Mary is a feisty young woman whose husband James insists on travelling to Oregan in a covered wagon in the 1840s. Like Sierra, Mary is reluctant to uproot her family and move hundreds of miles away but she has promised to obey her husband and so - with bad grace - she packs up and prepares for the long journey through Indian territory with her young family.

The hardships - both modern-day and in the 1800s - are real and Sierra and Mary have some real ups and downs. They doubt themselves, their husbands, and God. But eventually, they come to recognise that God really does have a plan for each of them, and their separate journeys build their personal faith in God. Mary's faith journey is carefully embroidered in scarlet thread onto a 'friendship' quilt. It's only when Sierra submits herself to God's plan for her life and learns to forgive and be reconciled with Alex that she understands what the scarlet-embroidered quilt means.

I loved this book. Any wife will identify with some of the things Sierra and Mary go through with their husbands; every marriage has its ups and downs. The fact that it is set in two different times drew me like metal to a magnet - I love this type of storyline. Like all of Francine Rivers' books, there is tragedy, drama, love, forgiveness, grace. Wondering how Sierra and Mary will cope with each new incident that comes along kept me turning the pages, eager to read on. Skillfully written, it brings history to life while showing us modern-day women that we can learn from the past.

[...]

Scarlet Thread
Scarlet Thread by Francine Rivers (Paperback - 1 Dec 2000)
4.99
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available