5.0 out of 5 stars I have grown as a Christian reading this book

3.0 out of 5 stars Dragged in Places, But Still a Good Read
Published on 4 Oct 2003 by Imperial Topaz

3.0 out of 5 stars Dragged in Places, But Still a Good Read, 4 Oct 2003
Imperial Topaz (Marrakesh, Morocco) - See all my reviews
This third book in the Left Behind Series dragged a bit in places, but that's OK-you can't expect every book in a long series to be equally good ! Part of the reason it draggged is that there was some summarizing of previous books added in for readers who may have picked up this book without seeing the former books. Even so, don't skip this book, because some important things happen, and you need to know those things for the following books.
For me, the most interesting thing in this book was Nicolae's ongoing relationship with Hattie, and what happens with that.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have grown as a Christian reading this book, 25 Nov 1997
By A Customer
This review is from: NICOLAE VOL 3 HB: The Rise of Antichrist (Left Behind) (Hardcover)
This book keep me wanting to run with the people in this book. I never knew I could feel fear and excited joy at the same time! This series is one of the best stories that I have ever read. If the Antichrist is just a little like Nicholea then I sold for Christ. I am giving out my books to everyone I know. My wife who does not like to read read Nicholea before I could finish Tribulation Force. She loved the book too and pushed me to get through the book. I await the next book with impatients...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Reading, 20 Jan 1998
By A Customer
About a year or two ago, my wife and mother in law and others in my family began reading the books in this series. I didn't notice them til this last August. Then I read Left Behind. I took me about a week. Immediately I was hooked. Since they'd already read Tribulation Force and were working on Nicholea, I was able to read the second book right away. This took 4 days to read. By the time I was ready to read Nicholea some one else was reading it. I had to wait about a month before they finished and got the book back. This book took 3 days. It's now hard for me to read anything else. Nothing else seems so real and alive. Now I get my first real taste of a wait, EIGHT MONTHS!!!! That's okay, take your time. It apparently works. God Bless you two for this Book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the first two, but good nonetheless., 5 Nov 1997
By A Customer
I am a frequent traveller and find that I always need something to read while on the plane. I happened to pick up Left Behind and had finished it in two 3 hour plane rides. I did similarly with Tribulation Force. Nicolae, however, did not live up to the other two. I found the begining and ending to be fantastic, but the core of the book seamed stale to me-Especially after the way the first two gripped me from cover to cover. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I didn't like it, I loved it. It's just tough to top perfection. Tim and Jerry have set a standard that is extremely tough to beat-even for them. I cannot wait for the fourth book in this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Third time is definately a charm!, 20 Nov 1997
By A Customer
The best of a 3, soon to be 7 book series! You will, with out a doubt, be reading this one without being able to put it down! Things are getting a little "heated" in this sequel! The last days seem to be drawing closer to an end, I mean, how much worse can it get for Rayford, Chloe and Buck as they struggle to survive the endless onslaught of evil that seems to reign without end? Set plenty of time aside to read this one, you won't want to stop until you are finished! (Tim, if you are reading this, a good title to the last book would be "The Lamb", you agree???) Happy reading!

3.0 out of 5 stars Maybe i'm expecting too much...., 29 Oct 2007
After reading 'Tribulation Force' (the second book in this series which i scored a 5) I presumed that the next book would be just as good. But no, afraid not. It took 195 pages before the 'story' started to interest me. There's an escape, which is good but hardly enough for a 400 page book! And what other little action there was seemed to be squeezed in as an after-thought into the last 10 pages! The sixth sign is suppose to be a huge earthquake which shakes the very foundations of the earth....this was more discriptive of a wobbling jelly when the spoon falls out! So much happens to make you FEEL for the characters in book 2, but in this book there's hardly anything to get excited about. There's too much going over old ground and as i've already said, the ending is rushed which makes it less of a 'cliffhanger'. Seriously, the first 2 books are great, but this one is a filler, and was very disappointing. Why it was called 'Nicola rise of the Anti-christ' i'm not sure, he isn't in it as much as the first 2 books. Should have been called 'Buck's Great Escape'
I have nothing against missing out 18 months (this is a seven year story after all!) and yes Amanda comes from nowhere, but unlike Left Behind and 'T.F.' the excitement and wonder is flat. I will be getting book 4 'Soul Harvest' because this series showed so much promise in the beginning. I just hope it will get a 5 or 4 star rating from me, because 3 is all 'Nicola' can manage. One thing that does get on my nerves (same as when i read Stephen King or any American author) is the word 'GOTTEN'....it's GOT!!! As in 'He got away', not 'he GOTTEN away'!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars An OK Read, 7 Oct 2007
M. A. Ramos (Florida USA) - See all my reviews
This is the third book in the Left Behind Series. And as I mentioned in the title, this is the best one yet. Though I should have rated it 3 stars, I couldn't. It deserves only three because the plot is not plausible and they do not explain the scriptures well. Just quote them. But then, I could not put the book down. That is why I gave it a four. I just had to read until I finished it.

Two other things bothered me about the book. First I found in the book was the repetition of material from the previous books. Where they trying to bring you up to date without having to read the first two books.... or just trying to fill up enough pages to have a book. Second, I felt as if I was watching a Land Rover commercial.

This book covers the time of the Seven Seals. We actually watch the characters live through six of the seals, and the book ends with the silence of the seventh. We once again focus on two of the tribulation characters again, Buck and Rayford.

Rayford mainly deals with his dilemma about actually working for the Anti-Christ as his pilot. After all, not only is he Born Again now, he is part of the Tribulation Force. But something happens that places him in the position to hear some of the inner planning's of the Anti-Christ, so he stays.

The action packed part of the book is with Buck. Though he works for the Anti-Christ as well. He still writes cover stories exposing the Anti-Christ to those who will pay attention, in an "objective" way. And is instrumental in helping a famous Jewish Scholar, who the Anti-Christ wants dead, out of Israel. And it is this exciting exodus that keeps you on the edge of your seat.

2.0 out of 5 stars Captivating, but too many tangents, 24 July 1998
By A Customer
LaHaye and Jenkins, once again have created a most interesting page-turner. The third in a series of novels that promise to line their pockets full of cash, the authors present a believable story of what the final days will be like. *Nicolae* is packed with horror derived from the book of Revelations consisting of terror, death and mass destruction. Those who believe in the Biblical teachings will be reassured in their faith; those who do not might think twice. Written from a Christian perspective, this book, at times becomes quite a sermon. Those who do not believe in, but are interested in the Apocolyptic error, will find themselves skipping sections to avoid religious tangents. Though the vocabulary of the authors reflects that they are well educated, much of their Christian rhetoric and anachronistic jargons is quite simple and annoying. However, as irritating as I have found much of the book, I could not seem to put it down. The same applied to the previous volumes! , *Left Behind* and *Tribulation Force.* Though the work is captivating, much fat can be cut from each volume, and the whole story can be condensed into one book. It appears as if the authors intend to draw the readers in and leave them with a dissapointing suspense at the end of each volume - guaranteeing a sure sale for their upcoming works. The writing is most creative, however, the authors should get to the point that they are attempting to make and close the story -- before the Rapture occurs, leaving readers with an unfinished message.

2.0 out of 5 stars What's with all these high reviews? People are deceived, 29 April 1998
By A Customer
OK, I've read the three books. Nicolae just plain doesn't live up. I mean, the only reason I finished it, and the only reason I'll read more, is to understand the WHOLE storyline (I'd like to find out what happens at the end of the world).

The writing was trite, the characters are one-dimensional, and it's just not as exciting. We have Rayford and Buck being disrespectful to Nicolae, yet Nicolae decides to not get rid of them, knowing they are with the enemy? I mean, if you're spying, ACT LIKE THE ENEMY! Ray and Buck wouldn't even do little courtesies like say thanks or act deferential or apologize to Nicolae, while everyone else does, and they think that no one can figure them out? puhleeeze... Nicolae even reveals his knowledge of their association to them, intentionally, without any reason to do so.

The authors also pull out too many deus-ex-machinas. It takes 20 years for an airplane to be designed and built. Earl Halliday, a mere pilot, couldn't have done it. Just because you're a pilot doesn't make you an aerodynamics expert. Not only that, Nicolae decides to kill Earl after the plane was designed? noooo, I think that if a new (experimental?) plane was designed, you'd better keep the engineer who designed it around to maintain it (since no one else would know how!). The Internet being completely anonymous from Nicolae? Doubtful. Although it may be anonymous to the average user, if someone had the power to (e.g. Nicolae), he could definitely track down where send their video feeds from (this is in relation to the Rabbi preaching over the Internet). Same thing with cellular phones being untraceable. Nothing is untraceable. Especially in a controlled world that Nicolae has. One can say that God has provided in the background, but this goes too far. Citing divine intervention doesn't lessen the effects of a deus ex machina. People may say that I'm picky, but let's drop that technological problems for now. The writing was just not good. How many times did we have to re-read the story about how people came to be saved, or how their families were gone while they were left behind? Forget that, move past it, let's get on with the story. I skipped maybe 1/4 of the text while reading this book.

I still want to know what happens in the end, but I hope that the authors improve their writing and character development. Don't be blinded because the storyline is cool - the writers fill in every detail (Rabbi saying "I think in Hebrew" when meeting Buck to emphasize the fact that he hears the witnesses in Hebrew later) and the characters are predictable, frustrating, etc. Add some excitement, please!

Although the use of the number 216 is a nice touch :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Splendidly written and God breathed, 13 April 1998
By A Customer
This is the best book series I have ever read. I am glad that these books plot out the plan of salvation so clearly. So few "christian" books do that to my liking. The way the author mixed in all of these mircales along with the everyday life of a regular person. These novels are very well researched and obviously God inspired. If someone that knew nothing about God would read these, they would have all they need to know to become a strong chistian. Well done, Mr. Lahaye, well done.

NICOLAE VOL 3 HB: The Rise of Antichrist (Left Behind)
NICOLAE VOL 3 HB: The Rise of Antichrist (Left Behind) by LAHAYE & JENKINS (Hardcover - 29 July 1997)
Used & New from: 0.01