5.0 out of 5 stars If you buy one recipe book buy this!
This is the recipe book that your mother neglected to pass down to you. Our family of four can now happily live on forty pounds grocery bill a week. Our food tastes ten times as good, and there is ten times the amount.
Published on 24 July 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good or healthy as I thought it would be ...
Published on 11 Jan 2007 by Gingernut

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars If you buy one recipe book buy this!, 24 July 2002
By A Customer
The actual book is spiral bound (so you don't need to stick a jammy spoon in it to keep it open! There are favourite authentic recipes from contributors all over the world and, to celebrate its twenty-fifth anniversary there are comments throughout by users of the recipes giving tips on substitutions and options. This makes the book extremely easy to use (you will always have the ingredients in the house to make some recipe!).
The recipes do use American 'cups', teaspoons, and tablespoons rather than weights so it is worth finding a cheap plastic jug with these written on (or finding out the equivalent on your own jug).
Many recipes are coded TS (time-saving)for when you want a cheap and fast dinner/lunch.
The book was commisioned by the Menonite Christian community who are similar to the Amish but more open to the world. I am not a Christian but this book is an inpiration to anyone interested in making the most of their own and the wider world's scarce resources.

5.0 out of 5 stars The only cookbook I use regularly, 19 Nov 2003
By A Customer
especially as a lot of the receipes work even if you don't have the exact ingredients! For those of us with a busy lifestyle (and therefore not enough time to follow Delia) it offers plenty of inspiration how to produce a quick and interesting meal on a Thursday night when the fridge is virtually empty.

5.0 out of 5 stars A challenging book to think about., 12 Feb 2003
Angel Jem "Angel Jem" (Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I waited a couple of years for the reprint of this book and wasn't sure I'd like it when I got it. How wrong I was! Commissioned by the Mennonites, a simple living branch of Christianity, it aims to encourage all of us to think about the world's resources and not to squander them. Part testimony, part bible study, all cookbook, if there is a thing you want to make that isn't in here, it's probably not that good for you and the world. It has made me re-focus on what I prepare and why; that food is sustenance and love but not a showing-off sort of love. I thoroughly recommend it as a mainstay of the kitchen library for anyone practising frugality or ecology or simply biblical principles.

5.0 out of 5 stars A challenging book to think about., 12 Feb 2003
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the Bible of My Kitchen, 9 Oct 1997
By A Customer
Nothing has affected the way I think about the world and my place in it as much as this book. I've read it front-to-back, back-to-front, randomly, and selectively, and have never left it uninspired. The first part calls for everyday actions that effect global, local, and personal change, offering hope to those of us who feel we can do little. The second part offers extrodinarily beautiful and simple recipes which help the reader to change the world through diet.These are recipes to treasure -- they create family heirlooms, foods I crave when far from home, foods I long for when alone. So far, my family has gone through five copies of this cookbook. No book is better for vegetarians on a budget or for people who want to change the world in prudent ways.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every kitchen should have this cookbook!, 12 May 1998
By A Customer
I'm ordering a new copy of this cookbook from Amazon because the copy I was given as a wedding present 13 years ago has completely fallen apart. This is a cookbook with a difference - it's not just a compilation of recipes, but can change the ways you think about food and cooking. It's been one of the biggest influences on the way I cook - second only, perhaps, to my Pennsylvania Dutch grandmother. Many recipes are written with optional ingredients and/or procedures, and cooks are encouraged to substitute and use what is on hand and most economical for their own situations. Besides the recipes, the book is packed with ideas: ways to use up left-overs; gardening, canning, and freezing suggestions - you name it! This is a cookbook for EVERYONE - vegetarians and meat eaters, city and country folks, singles, couples and families.

5.0 out of 5 stars My absolute favourite cookbook, 12 Dec 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: More-With-Less Cookbook (World Community Cookbooks) (Paperback)
I am a cookbook addict, but amongst all the Jamies, Nigels and Nigellas on my bookshelf this modest little book is the one I actually cook from. The recipes require a set of U.S cup measures(easily obtainable), are all easy to follow and to adapt, and call for cheap, basic everyday ingredients. The introductory pages consist of a thought provoking call to all of us in the west to consume less so that others might simply live. I now have two copies; one for my bedside and one for the kitchen. I have read it cover to cover many times and always leave it feeling inspired.

5.0 out of 5 stars my all-time most useful cookbook, 4 Dec 2000
By A Customer
Citing my most-used, most-adaptable, most-recommended cookbook is easy - More with Less is it! The recipes are a good mix of the quick and simple and what Americans like to call "elegant", are easy to follow (providing you have access to American-style measuring cups)and provoke me to be adaptable and creative. They were all contributed by Mennonites around the world and give thought to how we can live more simply "so that others can simply live". Now that I've given away my second copy, to a friend in Zimbabwe, I need to order a replacement copy quick!

5.0 out of 5 stars So Simple, and So Useful, 6 Dec 2005
By A Customer
My family are Mennonite and I grew up with this cookbook in the house. It was the first thing I asked for when I moved out and started to cook for myself in earnest. Do not be put off by the Christian theology at the beginning, this is really about making the best use of the worlds resources, while still eating well! I often find myself re-reading the introduction while waiting for a kettle to boil - no how many cookbooks can you say that about?
I've made almost everything in the cookbook to rave reviews from my decidedly gourmet friends. This book is particularly relevant with all the information coming out about how horrible the diets in the West are, and how it is the urban poor who are really suffering.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good or healthy as I thought it would be ..., 11 Jan 2007
I love cookbooks, and as someone who likes saving money too I was keen to purchase a copy of this book. I have to say that I'm a little disappointed with it. It has some good recipes in it - cakes and biscuits particularly, but on the whole I can't see that it's *that* useful a book to use as a money saving device unless you live in a rural area and are able to grow, kill and preserve your own food.

I can see the reasoning behind lots of the recipes - they are written by and for people who may be in situations where 'common' ingredients may not be available - but that doesn't change the fact that many of the recipes in here are, quite simply, home-made junk food, made using canned and preserved food rather than fresh ingredients. Pesonally I'd rather spend a few pence more and use fresh or canned tomatoes in a recipe than use condensed tomato soup. As someone who has studied food and nutrition, I would also add that there is a fairly urgent need for some of the misleading nutritional information in the book to be updated. All of the recipes I've tried are oversalted and oversugared, as well as being underseasoned. Yes, you can change this but the recipes in this book aren't quite as healthy as they're made out to be. Equally, many of the money-saving tips are fairly useless unless you actually do live in the rural mid-west of the USA - I honestly can't think of anywhere in the UK that I could actually buy fresh wheat to grind to make breakfast cereal.

I don't mean to be critical of a book which does have some good ideas, recipes and theology in it - certainly the message to consume less and be more responsible about how we live is incredibly important, and if this book manages to get that message across then it's worth it just for that. This isn't a *bad* book at all, but I wouldn't feed my family exclusively from its recipes.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

More-With-Less Cookbook (World Community Cookbooks)
More-With-Less Cookbook (World Community Cookbooks) by Doris Janzen Longacre (Paperback - Oct 2003)
11.90