Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Shop now

VINE VOICEon 21 November 2002
This book is fun to read, yet presents an in-depth view of the competing opinions on morality.
Presented as a conversation between several characters, each holding to a well-known view on the origins and nature of morality, the book argues for a Theistic interpretation of moral issues.
It offers important criticisms of views such as the evolutionary view of morality; however, I suspect that many non-theists will remain unmoved, there being so many variations on moral theory. Still, a worthy read for anyone who hasn't studied the subject in depth already.
The author isn't a particularly good writer as far as characterisation goes: I don't really think it matters, though. It makes the whole thing easier for non-academics to stomach, I think.
on 1 February 1999
the authors way of presenting competing ideologies in dialogue by embodying them in "real" people was cute for the first few pages, but then grew tired reeeallly quick. the characters became shallow and predictable, and little more than distractions from the ideologies they were supposed to be holding, and led away from what could have been more involved discussion of the ideas themselves, which were what the book was supposed to be about to begin with. Maybe if he'd dispensed with the whole plot idea, and used the characters as simple props, with no story lines or relationships, and just led you through the issues, I would have given it the 5 stars it deserves, but the manner in which it was written hampers its arguement.
on 29 August 1999
I liked the dialogue idea...it made what I find to be an otherwise boring subject more interesting. I can't think of any other college textbook I have sat down and read straight through of my own free will lately. All in all, a good, solid introduction to the important questions and philosophies of life. If you want to go more in-depth, buy one of the many thick, squinty-small print tomes available on the subject.