4.0 out of 5 stars Great text but the illustrations leave a lot to be desired
This book goes beyond what is suggested by the title. Not only does it give you a thorough resource for planking period ships, it will also help you to build a good hull structure first.
Published on 20 Nov 2005 by Paul

2.0 out of 5 stars Bad printed photos
I did not think many of the photos were very good for an instructive book,
may be due to the printing.
Published 16 months ago by Arthur Albert Chinn

4.0 out of 5 stars Great text but the illustrations leave a lot to be desired, 20 Nov 2005
This review is from: Planking Techniques for Model Ship Builders (Paperback)
Planking model ships is a difficult skill to develop even with external assistance and precious few good guides have been published - or at least I haven't found them. I bought this book to improve my skills in some particular areas and it has helped me achieve that. However, I had to read it three times, together with another book (by Keith Julier) in order to get the maximum out of it. Why? Because the diagrams and photographs are not as sophisticated as one might expect in the 21st century. OK, so it was first published in the 1980's. Authors, please note, colour photography first appeared in the early 20th century and it is amazing what you can see that is otherwise invisible in B&W pictures - especially if the photos are taken by a professional photographer with controlled lighting. Also, with little effort, an arrow can be printed over the picture to identify the point you are trying to make.
Who will benefit from this book? Anybody who builds model ships and wants the planking to look good without having to hide it behind a veil of filler & paint. Would I buy this book again? Yes, it is worth having. Would I buy a second copy of a new edition at a higher price if it had colour photos? Definitely - and that would earn the 5th star on my rating.

4.0 out of 5 stars Reveals many "tricks of the trade!", 6 Dec 2010
Ned Middleton (British professional underwater photo-journalist & author) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Planking Techniques for Model Ship Builders (Paperback)
There is a certain magical quality about ships - especially the sailing vessels of yesteryear. Anyone who has visited an historic ship will (or at least they should!) marvel at almost every aspect of the vessel from the way it was built and fitted out to the way in which those on board lived and worked when at sea. That sense of awe should be reflected in any serious model ship and this book goes a long way towards helping the builder of such miniature representations produce the best possible results.

As I have mentioned elsewhere in other reviews, I am not an expert or "advanced" modeller. Nor can I lay claim to any of the other titles some devotees give themselves. My approach is to apply common sense and demand a high standard from whatever task I set myself. If the hull isn't square or I get the planking (or whatever) wrong, it has to be dismantled and I start all over again. Consequently, when compared to the models produced by those so-called experts and proudly displayed on the internet, I am happy that my own versions of the same ships compare most favourably.

In this book there are several tips which, I have to admit, I wish I had known before embarking on some of my earlier models. They would have saved much heartache. The first is; place the newly assembled keel, stem and sternpost between two pieces of glass so that this important feature dries straight and square. Yes, I hear all those who knew this trick saying "but we all know that!" Well, I for one did not and I am grateful for the tip.

Some will, therefore, consider this as a minor point - but a warped keel leads to a warped ship and I would rather get that vital aspect of the model right first time than struggle with several attempts.

Another not-so-obvious comment relates to solid hull models. Instead of constructing the keel, stem, sternpost followed by the network of frames onto which the planks are then fitted, a solid hull removes the need for such individual elements and is shaped as though all those features exist below decks but out of sight. That solid piece of wood, however, will not have the lateral lines created by planks and must, therefore, be reduced to a size slightly smaller than the finished ship so that when the planks are added they bring the vessel to her true proportions. Not quite so straightforward.

Perhaps it is because I have never worked with a solid hull that the subject never crossed my mind. Now that it has, like so much in this book, it makes sense.

Altogether, there are many more tips and ideas for the serious modeller. OK, if you already know it all - bully for you, but for those who don't, this book will teach you so much and is not likely to disappoint.

NM

4.0 out of 5 stars planking techniques model ships, 24 Sep 2013
This review is from: Planking Techniques for Model Ship Builders (Paperback)
I find this book very helpful it's packed full of hints and tips to help build better model ships. this book will be a handy guide for many years to come. glad I brought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 8 May 2013
This review is from: Planking Techniques for Model Ship Builders (Paperback)
Some good stuff in this book but to be honest folks if you get the book ship modelling simplified you might not need this this book is more for scratch builders but still of

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for reference, 7 Jan 2013
This review is from: Planking Techniques for Model Ship Builders (Paperback)
This book can be really helpful for someone who needs alternative solutions for their build. A good book to have on the shelf.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bad printed photos, 19 Jun 2013
I did not think many of the photos were very good for an instructive book,
may be due to the printing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Planking Techniques for Model Ship Builders, 16 May 2014
Mr. R. Evans (Dorset UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Planking Techniques for Model Ship Builders (Paperback)
I am working towards building my first planked models and this book has helped greatly. Personally I find it essential

5.0 out of 5 stars Planking techniques, 26 April 2014
This review is from: Planking Techniques for Model Ship Builders (Paperback)
Much needed book for the beginner to planking to help guide you through the process and the pitfalls of such models

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good service, 29 Jan 2014
This review is from: Planking Techniques for Model Ship Builders (Paperback)
No complaints what so ever, would strongly recommend. Prompt delivery, exactly what I am after for my hobby of model ship building.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 12 Jan 2014
This review is from: Planking Techniques for Model Ship Builders (Paperback)
This is a good guide to the various methods of serving planks and boards and how to install them correctly and a few tips to get out of a tight spot when it goes partially wrong.

Planking Techniques for Model Ship Builders
Planking Techniques for Model Ship Builders by Donald Dressel (Paperback - 1 Aug 1988)