on 2 October 2009
Hide this book from the senior management team of your school and use the ideas to dazzle them when being observed or 'dropped in' on! Filled with top tips, I found the sections about afl, differentiation and delivering ICT content (when you have no access) particularly useful. It's a book that we mere minions should keep to ourselves. I've used some of the ideas and found them really helpful even when not being observed. A book that I'd definitely recommend to any teacher regardless of length of service, but do us all a favour - don't tell the management!
on 15 October 2007
This is an excellent and very useful book. From first dipping into it, I thought it was a compulsively good read. A superb catalogue of really helpful advice. Accessible and practical. A refreshing look at how to prepare, survive and enjoy inspection / observation.
on 6 April 2009
I really love this book. Its a great fun read and makes loads of sense. Although for mainly for secondary level , its ideas can be easily adapted to any lesson. A popular book with my friends, they need to buy their own!
on 31 July 2014
I work in a special secondary and I'm a Head of English, I'm also Head of Drama and I co-teach History in a double GCSE with Drama. Alongside this I always have maths ever present in my schemes of learning/medium term planning and I develop cross-curricular activities in the plan (as much as I can) to allow the students favourite subjects to appear within their least favourite (mine!). Therefore this book was great. I can see all secondary teachers finding a use for it and if your subject doesn't explicitly appear then everything is adaptable. I've found activities that I link well when we're doing cooking within English (linked to the novels), art, English, maths, geography and history (to name a few). I'd have loved this book when I worked in mainstream teaching and I'm sure there's a good use for FE as well (more under 20s but I'd have still enjoyed them at Uni!!). For primary there's still plenty of use but I do think it settles more within secondary. Obviously with the recent removal of levels some ideas need to be done behind the scenes but it is still good. I'm using it to help focus my new planning for the new national curriculum and hopefully within there the accolade of "outstanding" may happen. A great purchase.
on 25 November 2009
As a PGCE student, I unashamedly implemented all the recommendations in the book, resulting in a great first official observation my by Uni

Basically, I did everything the book said, and got a rave review.

A quick read, packed with advice which, for me, really worked.
on 11 December 2013
Good info, but as an experienced teacher there were several things that I have been doing for years - an excellent way for an old stick in the mud (like me) to get up to date with the latest developments in teaching - especially when you are too busy BEING a teacher, marking, assessing, reporting.....blah blah blah
on 12 June 2011
From reading reviews I expected this to be a brilliant book. While there are one or two useful pieces of information, overall I found it not to be something I would not recommend. I think advice such as bribing children with chocolate and removing the badly behaved pupil for an observation is horrendous advice! Does not promote inclusion and is it any wonder Ofsted now do drop in lesson obs, if this is that was the quick fix solution that was being offered? Some useful practical advice for differentiation but as a fellow AST I was concerned by some of the solutions offered as they might avoid the problem for one lesson but in terms of long term support could create more issues.
on 18 May 2011
I was frustrated by what seemed to be my inability to break through to the outstanding Grade 1 when I was observed. In desperation I looked at various books and then I came across this one. By reading it through, which I did in double quick time, I was able to see where I was going wrong or at least where I could tweak things - mostly in picking up how to rewrite paperwork. It made all the difference Grade 1 next observation. Others have bought it since and have found it really useful. In my opinion, well worth the time and money.
on 11 December 2009
I'm in two minds about this book, on the one hand it is full of useful tips for teachers to get the best out of their lesson and it is written in an upbeat way, but on the other hand it is not really a book for student teachers as it doesn't go through the basics of a good lesson plan. It could really have done with an introductory planning chapter or two to at least set the scene and help us to establish their lesson planning idealogy.

So, buy this book if you've got to a point where you can't think what to do to make your lesson more interesting, but not before.
on 30 November 2013
Fantastic book! Really easy to read which is a refreshing change in comparison to the majority of books about teaching which are usually dreadfully dull and difficult to understand. Has a lot of great ideas for starters, plenaries, how to plan your lessons, how to work in AiFL (assessment) into your lessons and lots of other handy tips! Useful for anyone who is about to go on placement or be observed!