5.0 out of 5 stars Must be read!
Published on 21 April 2005

1.0 out of 5 stars A poorly argued book
Published on 31 July 2012 by Dave

5.0 out of 5 stars Must be read!, 21 April 2005
By A Customer
Like other reviewers, I started out a little unkeen on the writing style - BUT I quickly became enthralled by the evidence pressented, the author's reasoning and fascinating conclusions! I couldn't wait to get home from work each day and read more. This book should definately be read by anyone interested in the Exodus, miracles, and biblical accuracy, and probably by everyone else too. Colin Humphreys' suggestions are surely worthy of further acedemic scrutiny.
The unusual conversational writing style does have the advantage of making the book very easily readable, and totally understandable even for someone with little biblical knowledge. The author has taken pains to set out explicitly what he is and isn't asserting. Though, as others have commented, this can be a little laborious in places, it must have been essential in order to prevent misunderstandings, maintain accuracy, and ensure bringing the reader along as the chapters progress.
Wonderful!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating Content; frustrating Style, 20 Sep 2004
Geoff New "Geoff" (LONDON United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Other reviewers have written at length about this book. Most agree that the content is fascintating, and I would personally want to give the book 5 stars on this basis. Everyone with a serious interest in Old Testament theology shoujld read it.
Very mixed opinions have been expressed about the presentation. For me, the grossly repetitious style seriously detracted from my reading experience. I felt that if a copy editor had gone through the text and put a red line through about half of it, the result might then have been truly prize winning!
Incidentally, for a book published in 2004, the quality of the pictures and the maps is extremely disappointing, but I guess the fault here is more down to a publisher keen to cut costs than to the author!
Overall, I'd give the book 4 stars. As I've implied, I'd give it few if any stars for style, but the fascinting nature of the basic content has to be the thing that counts here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very readable and highly enjoyable, 28 Dec 2003
By A Customer
I completely disagree with the previous reviewer. I found this book highly readable. It was like a bag of peanuts - once I started reading it I just couldn't stop. I really enjoyed the chatty style of the author, and his quirky anecdotes and analogies. He makes complex arguments and evidence highly accessible, without ever talking down to the reader. I think this book is of interest to Christians and non-Christians alike; we should all welcome attempts, such as this one, to uncover the facts behind the Biblical accounts using modern scientific methods. Read it and make your own mind up!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Acts of God?, 25 Aug 2004
David A. Heath "aurora899" (Oxford, England (UK)) - See all my reviews
"The Miracles of Exodus" by Colin J. Humphreys is the latest in a genre of books which try to make sense of the Moses story. It is, of course, the sort of work which will infuriate Biblical Fundamentalists and devout Christians alike. But, as the author himself points out, the discovery of scientific mechanisms behind the remarkable events of Exodus, does not make those events any less "miraculous". Indeed, the Israelites would still have viewed them as "acts of God."
I find Humphreys' argument that Mount Horeb was an active volcano both compelling and overwhelming, even if this means re-locating the so-called "Mountain of God" away from its traditional site on the Sinai Peninsula. Conversely, I remain to be convinced about the phenomenon of "Wind Setdown" which is used to explain the parting of the Red Sea.
The author's unique writing style has been criticised in some quarters but this actually makes the book eminently more readable. This is not a hefty scientific work where the reader gets bogged down in detail, even if Humphreys does have an annoying habit of laboriously repeating various points, quite often in successive paragraphs.
All in all, an excellent (and potentially ground-breaking) book, although the quality of the photographs leaves a lot to be desired.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very readable exploration of what really happened in Exodus, 4 Jan 2004
Chris (Bath, Somerset United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I enjoyed this book. It is easy to read and has fascinating natural explanations of events in the release of the Israelites from Egypt. It does not suggest the events were any the less miraculous but show that the were real natural events and places. The author makes a compelling case for his arguments and is honest about how definite his evidence is. I was convinced!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Exodus Miracles, Colin Humphries, 16 Aug 2009
R. J. Whitrow (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Miracles of Exodus: A Scientist's Discovery of the Extraordinary Natural Causes of the Biblical Stories (Paperback)
A thoughtful presentation from a scientific perspective of the Biblical Exodus narrative. The arguments that miracles are reasonable and explainable is refreshing when many Christians jump to the supernatural often as an excuse for intellectual laziness. For anyone who thinks that faith is a figment of the imagination this book will present an alternative perspective that cannot be so easily dismissed, due to logic, geographical, biological evidence plus some mathematics! I would strongly recommend this as a careful and slow read making notes as you go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very readable and very interesting, 19 April 2014
I completely disagree with the previous reviewer. I found this book highly readable. Well argued, although he did not give page/chapter references he is obviously well read on the subject. I found his argument compelling thought through. He has addresses most of my questions I have had on this section of the Exodus.

5.0 out of 5 stars A new way of considering the Ten Plagues, 29 Jan 2014
Jack L. Honigman (Manchester, U.K.) - See all my reviews
This is a refreshing book since it does not deride the possibility of the biblical plagues ever having occurred but gives a satisfactory explanation as to their happening on the supposition that they did not follow each other at short intervals, as is inferred in the Old Testament. There is also a new look at the wanderings in the Wilderness with explanations involving volcanic phenomena which are very plausible.
A most interesting read - highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Biblicakl archaeology, 7 Mar 2013
Mr. R. E. Billing (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Anyone ever wondering whether Mount Sinai really existed, well this book blows all the skeptics critiques out of the water. Instead of Mount Sinai being the Mount Jaba al musa in the Sinai region, the true mount Sinai has been found to be mount Al alawz in Saudi Arabia. This is no religious book, but the book written by a scientist whom only depended on Geology, Geography and Archaeology to find the rightful location of the biblical mount Sinai.

1.0 out of 5 stars A poorly argued book, 31 July 2012
I would have known what to expect from this book if I had bothered to look at the cover. The sub-title is "A scientist's discovery of the extraordinary natural causes of the Biblical stories." As far as the author is concerned there was little - if anything - miraculous in the several miracles surrounding the call of Moses and the Israelites' departure from Egypt to their arriving at Mount Sinai. They were simply "miracles of timing" and God had little - if anything - to do with them; hence the "natural causes" in the subtitle. I was left wondering whether he believes there is a God, something which he declines to confirm at the end of the book. He leaves it to his readers to make up their own minds.

However, the book is far more than an examination of the miracles - I felt that the author's true aim was to present his views of the route of the Exodus, the locations of the miracles and particularly the location of Mount Sinai which he places east of the Gulf of Aquaba in modern Saudi Arabia and not in the traditional south of the Sinai Peninsula.

Anyway, it is not long before I realised how he treated everything in the Bible story - from start to finish: he just ignored anything that would spoil his theory. He rarely considered any other explanation than his own. He generally just looked at the sentences, phrases and words in any incident that helped his theories and ignored those that did not. Why let the truth come in the way of a good story?

Judging from the way he treated the miracles, his views about Mount Sinai and other geographical locations are highly suspect. If he had attempted a more unbiased approach he may have come to a different conclusion and, certainly, his ideas would carry more weight. He is not convincing.

Humphreys' style of writing annoyed me considerable - (something that I found with his book, 'The Mystery of the Last Supper' which, incidentally, is far better). He oozes with pride reminding us at every possible moment that no one else had discovered what he has, something that I doubted.

A pity really as it is a very readable book; I was reluctant to put it down.

Used & New from: 14.97