5.0 out of 5 stars So you wanna make a movie? Go buy this book!
Published on 20 Mar. 2006

3.0 out of 5 stars A tome of info
Yup.. a tome of information. Presented well enough and lots of it extremely useful. Other stuff is a bit over the top and needless. The amount of information can make film-making seem a little daunting. Nothing beats getting up and actually making the film to learn the lessons needed but it's a useful reference. Perhaps a few too many interview type sections.
Useful...
Published on 28 Sept. 2008 by Wild Indie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars So you wanna make a movie? Go buy this book!, 20 Mar. 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Guerilla Film Makers Handbook 3e (Paperback)
I bought the first and second editions of TGFMH and wondered what on earth they could do in the third edition - well I wasn’t disappointed! The book is now encyclopedic in content, I mean EVERYTHING is covered. It’s a lot bigger than the last edition with so much more information. In fact there is so much information that some people may be daunted, but the simple Q and A and hot tips approach means that it never gets too bogged down. Now it sits on my shelf next to my PC and whenever I have a question, I just look up the relevant section and read the expert interview. No matter where you are in your career, starting out or seasoned pro, there are gems of wisdom for you here. I recommended both previous editions, and this massive re-write gets just a big thumbs up! Go buy it and save yourself a load of headaches!

5.0 out of 5 stars Read how to "Just Do It", 12 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Guerilla Film Makers Handbook 3e (Paperback)
I'm a huge fan of this series of books - which also includes the Guerilla Film Makers Movie Blueprint, the Documentary Film Makers Handbook - and have been from the first edition of this, their "title" tome.

What makes this book so much more relevant for the beginner Guerilla is the combination of fantastic guides and information on filmmaking, born from Jones and Jolliffe's personal experiences on all three of their indie features, but also the vast amount of "personal experience" stories littered throughout and compiled at the back of the book.

When I was starting out, I gained a huge amount of knowledge from this book, but I also found it both inspiring and reassuring that there were conversations with filmmakers who had been where I was and managed to achieve their goals.

Written in a clear, concise style and easy to dip in and out of for tips, information or success stories, this is a must-have for any aspiring filmmaker and, I'd venture to say, should be on the shelf of all successful filmmakers, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars One Of The Best Books Of It's Kind, 13 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Guerilla Film Makers Handbook 3e (Paperback)
How do you make a film? Look around the bookshelves of your local bookshop, or browse the pages here at Amazon, and you will see a wealth of books on the subject, but how many of them really tell you how to make a movie, detailing all the stages from the moment you have finished writing your script all the way through to distribution? Very few of them, in fact.

This is the book that entirely demystifies the film making process. It tells you absolutely everything you need to know, from how and where to get your film insured and financed all the way through to how to create special effects and stunts - everything is covered and no stone is left unturned. Starting out as a film maker myself, this book proved invaluable in helping me figure out the the dos and do nots of an industry that is built on networking, connections and who you know. Knowing practically no one in the industry, The Guerilla Film Maker's Handbook was a huge help in getting me started and I still use it today, as I'm sure I will for many more years to come.

Written by actual successful filmmakers (their latest short film Gone Fishing won awards at over 40 festivals worldwide and was on the top ten Oscar shortlist for best short film) and using interviews with key industry figures to provide answers to the most common problems a filmmaker encounters, it will really help you get your film off the ground and give you a far better idea of where to start.

Filmmaking is a hard, slow and very expensive process - this book doesn't beat around the bush in this regard, but it honestly and realistically breaks down the process, providing you with all the help and advice you need to make your film. From the experienced filmmaker all the way through to the enthusiastic amateur, The Guerilla Filmmaker's Handbook is without a doubt an essential purchase!

5.0 out of 5 stars OSCAR WINNER!, 11 Nov. 2008
William Mclaughlan (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Guerilla Film Makers Handbook 3e (Paperback)
The man that wrote this book will be an Oscar winner for sure. If you're serious about making films and you're starting out I honestly can't think of a better investment than buying this and reading the whole thing cover to cover. I did and on doing so signed up for a film school course.

One reviewer stated that, in tone, the book seemed a little daunting. I've just finished a rough cut on my most recent film and I can say with my hand on my heart that the ENTIRE process of making just one film is daunting - let alone making a career out of it. Every time I do anything film related I have to take a breath because, despite being truly awesome, I know it'll be tough and at times I will hate the process or myself - this book is written by someone who will not sugar coat that for you. If you can't handle that then maybe writing for Empire or Total Film is the job for you instead - that way you get to sit in a warm chair inside writing reviews :)

I've just spent quite a lot of money on a year at a top London film school. If you're lacking in the kind of cash you need to attend film school then I would urge you to buy this book (and also a couple of others) and just spend the money on making some films. You'll learn at least all the same stuff as me and your films will not be any less good if you treat them seriously and enjoy yourself.

Chris Jones is a very inspiring writer and for the price of the book you not only get a MASSIVE number of interviews with industry professionals but you also get a CD-ROM. I found the interviews with film industry employees the most useful part of this book for me in particular. Simply because I a) wasn't sure what many of the jobs actually were (key grip for example) and b) what kinds of job might be available to me as a uni and film school graduate. Jones isn't a snob when it comes to these interviews either and interviewed everyone. For example he speak to people like a stop motion animator who was creating a children's television program for BBC Wales. Really useful because prior to working in the industry I had no clue about what anyone actually did bar maybe a screenwriter.

On the CD-ROM are various producing aides and also a very useful screenplay formatter so you don't have to fork out a hundred and seventy-nine quid for Final Draft!!! Just use this formatter once and you can get an extra days shooting with the money you save.

Basically this is required reading if you want to make films. If you want to make just one film then don't bother buying any books just go and make your film. BUT if you'd like to write, direct or have any kind of job in the industry I truly believe that this book will be worth every single penny you spend on it. It's right up there with Story and In The Blink of an Eye! Currently Chris Jones has funded a film by asking everyone he knew for fifty quid and shot it with Vernon Layton as DoP and it is now in the long-list for Oscar selection. What other currently-publishing authors writing about filmmaking are up for Oscar selection? This guy walks the talk. BUY BUY BUY!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book for those aiming to be in the industry, 17 Jun. 2012
Mr. J. Birkett "Birkett" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Guerilla Film Makers Handbook 3e (Paperback)
I am 15 and very eager to get into the film industry. This book is packed with helpful interviews that cover a wide range of topics such is training, Pre-production, productions, Post-Production, finance and others. It even evaluates film school which was a major plus for me. If you want a career in the film industry, BUY THIS BOOK!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gave me a fantastic overview on the process of Film-making, 19 Feb. 2010
Peter Handford "Peter Handford" (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Guerilla Film Makers Handbook 3e (Paperback)
Whilst I was studying my MA in Screenwrting for TV and Film I bought the The Guerilla Film Makers Handbook to get an idea of how the process really worked (away from the 'official' version of events) when making a film. I found the book to not only contain wonderful insight into the industry but also helped in my writing because for the first time in my life I genuinely understood what was involved in such a potentially throw-away line in a script such as 'pan across the city' or 'his head explodes'. It made me understood the actual work involved in every line written in the script and this has been an invaluable lesson to me.

Furthermore, I am planning to shoot a no-budget horror later this year and will be relying on the handbook (and the soon-to-be-released Guerilla Film Makers pocketbook) to guide me through this potentially traumatising experience!

Can't recommend the book highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most indispensable guide to Guerilla filmaking ever!, 22 Feb. 2010
D. Took - See all my reviews
This review is from: Guerilla Film Makers Handbook 3e (Paperback)
If you want to learn all there is to know about filmaking from filmakers at the ground level, through trials tribulations and real problems - this is the book for you.

Excellently executed by Chris Jones the Guerilla Film Makers Handbook is an indispensable guide to filmaking and gaining those fledgling steps when making your first ever film, or continuing your early career.

I read regularly about Directors and Producers but this book has the best interviews hands down from the people who're creating the buzz RIGHT NOW, not tomorrow or yesterday but today. It's these people who you want to know and understand, it's their success you want to try and decipher.

If it was anymore indispensable it'd be nominated for a BAFTA!!

Dominic Took
Producer/Author

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Reading For Aspiring Film Makers, 19 Feb. 2010
Mr. R. S. Boyask "RossBoyask" (Brighton, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Guerilla Film Makers Handbook 3e (Paperback)
This was one of a few books I read that made me realise I could go out there and make my own feature films. The document software provided was very useful indeed and the case studies were relevant, amusing and also made me very aware of potential pitfalls. I also like that the writers do not sugar-coat the hard work and commitment required to make films at an entry level. They tell it like it is. So far I have directed and sold two low budget feature films internationally (Left For Dead and Ten Dead Men for anyone interested) am finishing my third, and am now on my way to directing my first feature with a budget behind me and this book inspired me to do go out there and do it, to persevere, and to realise that it will not be an easy journey.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an ESSENTIAL purchase if you're a filmmaker!, 12 Feb. 2010
M. Jeavons (Wolverhampton, West Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Guerilla Film Makers Handbook 3e (Paperback)
This book is like a bible for filmmakers the world over - whether you're at college wanting to make your first film or you've got several films under your belt, this is an ESSENTIAL purchase?

Why? Because it's crammed with great advice from industry experts covering just about every job there is in the film world, plus loads of brilliant interviews from well known indie filmmakers.

My copy has sat proudly in my office for several years, and I find myself keep on coming back for it - there's just no better book like it when it comes to guerilla filmmaking!

4.0 out of 5 stars An amazing but potentially daunting tome., 12 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Guerilla Film Makers Handbook 3e (Paperback)
I have been doing a little bit of film making of late, strictly amateur hour stuff but I thought I better learn what I can. This book is potentially far more than I need, but it has given me an absurd amount of information that is interesting and could be useful to me eventually.
It covers all manner of aspects of film making and there is a lot of good advice, I imagine the boo would be really useful for film students, who are a large part of the intented audience. Regardless of the level you are at, or if you are just reading for fun, do not let it put you off. I say this because it is aimed at helping you make a professional film, or at least professional looking, but we all have to learn somewhere and practice with something.
That said I do feel it needs an update soon, to cover recent improvements in digital film making but regardless it is still a damn fine book. Interesting, well presented and genuinely useful.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Guerilla Film Makers Handbook 3e
Guerilla Film Makers Handbook 3e by Jones (Paperback - 25 Jan. 2006)