5.0 out of 5 stars Original and encouraging
Published on 11 Dec. 2009 by Hilary Murray Hill

3.0 out of 5 stars brilliant in parts, but rambling overall
The Church of England is not exactly thronging with "Bright Young Things", but Lucy Winkett is one of them. Intelligent, good-looking and somehow managing to appeal to both Anglo Catholics (despite being a woman priest) and also evangelicals (she writes a column for Third Way, the evanglical magazine), she sums up what the Church of England might be on a good day...
Published on 12 Mar. 2010 by R. S. Stanier

5.0 out of 5 stars Original and encouraging, 11 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Our Sound is Our Wound: Contemplative Listening to a Noisy World - The Archbishop of Canterbury's Lent Book 2010 (Paperback)
I heard Lucy Winkett preach earlier this year and looked on amazon to see whether she had published anything, hence this purchase. The book arrived at my office yesterday and I finished it this morning. This is a beautifully constructed and compelling essay, parts of which would be easily understood by a thinking child, and I can think of no higher praise. The points about the power of sound to unite or separate were simply expressed and illustrated with rich, but accessible, examples. Lucy Winkett also brilliantly illuminates the meaning of silence in our lives. Finally, I would mention her understanding of grief, which is profound. There is comfort, encouragement, and the stimulating power of some very original thought here. Highly recommended for anyone, whatever their faith.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful stuff, 3 Feb. 2010
E L. Parry - See all my reviews
If you are a deep thinking person, then you will enjoy this little book. The author has spent time working at L'Arche, and I love books by Henry Nouwen who was also invoved with that work. 'Our Sound is Our Wound' tackles up-to-the-minute issues and I found it true to all that the Bible teaches. I am a musician, and I think it helped my understanding of the book,in places. If you read it as a 'non-musician', it would be interesting to know what you thought!

4.0 out of 5 stars Sound and fury signifying nothing., 12 Mar. 2010
Rev. John E. Harris-white "Fr John" (Scotland U.K.) - See all my reviews
Lucy's book is unlike many other Lent books, in that once you start reading you cant put it down

She writes common sense, and as a fellow priest I find reading the office,and scriptures aloud brings meaning beyond words, and allows the Holy Spirit to speak loud and clear. I have my favourite edition of the scriptures, the Jerusalem Bible.

The amount of noise in this secular materialistic world is defeaning, and Lucy reminds us of its hidden agenda!!!!

Two chapters in particular are deeply underlined , The Sound of Resurrection, and The Sound of Angels, and I will return to read them in a meditative way.

Music is so much part of my life, and I chuggled at the description of some modern church music being a rehash of the Carpenters!!!!! Sometimes music can in the Mass get in the way of the flow and structure of the Mass. Thinking of Dom Gregory Dix, 'Shape of the Liturgy'

The final few pages are a wonderful plea for sile

nce to be a positive part of our worship. Why are Christians, at least some of them' so afraid of silence. They think the priest has lost his/her place !!!!!

After the noise the Still small voice of God.

Thank you Lucy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book, 21 Feb. 2010
What a wonderful first book from an incredibly thoughtful, astute and articulate author. Canon Winkett manages to explain in easy to understand terms exactly what she means and the book, although not heavy, is full of depth and incredibly thought provoking. This can only be the first of many....

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Lent Book, 26 Jan. 2013
Rowan Williams' choice of Lucy Winkett for his 2010 Lent book was a wise one.Deeply moving and beautifully written, she inspires the reader to find the courage to listen to the silence of the heart,a place where we are met by God,the compassionate One,who inspires us to find meaning in suffering and to use our experience to cultivate compassion.A far more helpful book than any self-help book one has wasted time reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars Music and spirituality, 20 Jan. 2011
Lucy Winkett has put together some cogent and lively ideas on how music links to sprituality. I found it helpful as an organist to help me think as well as 'do' one's music and overall found it a refreshing read with some useful links to real life situations too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lent reading, 13 Jan. 2011
Mr. R. Watson (UK) - See all my reviews
Lucy Winkett is a gifted Church of England Rector, with a talent for communicating through music or the written word.
This book was bought as a gift for my wife, who was so impressed that she asked me to order another to give to a friend.

3.0 out of 5 stars brilliant in parts, but rambling overall, 12 Mar. 2010
And now her first book is the Archbishop of Canterbury's Lent book. Yes, there are expectations.
Does she deliver?
Well, yes and no.
The book's main thesis is that the sounds of the modern world, especially our inability to keep quiet, are the signs of our wounded nature and requires theological reflection.
This is well worth exploring and there are some brilliant passages here. Her description of raw grief on p102ff is breathtakingly good. And when she concludes "Resurrection is what there is on the other side of nothing. It is the life we had never thought of..."(p105), she really highlights stuff I'd never conceived of, yet which rings true.
And yet, and yet...
To be frank, it's a bit of a mess.
There's a superficial structure where each chapter is headed "the sound of...", but this doesn't really work.
Take the chapter on "the sound of angels". This starts with a list of angels appearing in popular culture: Wings of Desire, It's a Wonderful Life, Robbie Williams etc. All fine, if a bit tedious. Then she says, "it's to angels we might turn to face the global crisis of climate change..." Alright, that could be interesting...
Except we don't get anything about that. Instead we get more points of angels in culture, glossing Gregory of Nyssa, the Christmas carol "It came upon a midnight clear" and others and then we get three pages on James Havelock's Gaia theory, and then a comparison of how that's a bit like the female figure of Wisdom in the Old Testament. And then we get a page about famous Christian female thinkers, saying "throughout the Christian tradition there have been wise and authoritative women who have articulated a christian understanding of creation..." (Hilda of Whitby... Hildegard of Bingen... Julian of Norwich... all get nods) and then we're off somewhere else...
Finally, the chapter ends but the reader is left clueless as to how angels can help with climate change.
It's as if she's just desperate to stuff in everything she's ever found interesting into this one book. This gets in the way of her answering a lot of the important questions she poses.
This book reminded me of the Richad Curtis film, "Love Actually", his follow up to "Four Weddings..." and "Notting Hill", where he intertwines seven different love stories, instead of concentrating on just one. It's ambitious, and aims for enhancement, but it ends up not as good as the simpler stories, because the layers are just cloying, like an over-rich wedding cake.
So too here, Winkett has too much detail and not enough development of the main ideas for this to be a genuinely satisfying book. Parts are good, for sure, but overall, I don't think it really works.

3.0 out of 5 stars Why did you choose this rating ?, 27 April 2013
it's a quite interesting series of essays on the relevance of music to the spiritual experience. There are interesting insights but I would have preferred something that taught me something I didn't already know or made me want to change my practice which is possibly an unfair criticism but then life is short.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very thought-provoking book, 8 Mar. 2010
I very much enjoyed this little book, and was given much to think about. It is beautifully written, very accessible and clearly succeeds in its aim of getting us to think more about the sounds that surround us.