1 Review

4.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing & Original, 13 Mar 2007
Kim Hatton "Kim Hatton" (Nottingham) - See all my reviews
'Dylan Redeemed' is one of a handful of books which tackle Bob Dylan's conversion to Christianity in 1979/1980. I'll begin by admitting that as a lifetime admirer of Dylan's work I have an aversion towards most of his commentators and critics. We don't need the musings of a newly graduated Literary or Cultural Studies student to pour out his twisted interpretations of Dylan's lyrics - and here we don't get it. Instead we get a sane well argued thesis that takes us back to Dylan's earliest works and traces the singer's preoccupatios with The Bible and salvation from, at least, his post accident days and probably back further, from the beginning of his career. Webbs writes lively and engaging prose and is an astute commentator on Dylan within a wide social and religious context. My only argument with the book is the interpretation of 'Time Out Of Mind' which is, like so many of its type, purely subjective and too often obvious.

About the lines from 'Lovesick' "Did I hear someone tell a lie/Did I hear someone's distant cry . . ." the author comments, "The words are suggestive and rich. Dylan the songwriter is unsure of himself ". This was where the groan factor came in for me but it had taken over 160 pags and the following chapter 'redeemed' the book enough for me to give it four stars. This is not only a book about Dylan but the positions held by rock music and western Christianity and their functions in the twenty-first century and, as such I wholeheatedly recommend it with the sole reservation I have already mentioned.

Dylan Redeemed: From "Highway 61" to "Saved"
Dylan Redeemed: From "Highway 61" to "Saved" by Stephen H. Webb (Hardcover - 15 Jan 2007)