5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING! EVERY FILM MAKER SHOULD HAVE ONE
Published on 20 May 2004 by christoff133

3.0 out of 5 stars bruh.
I've yet to read any of it, but it looks like a good choice.
The only reason I'm rating it 3 stars is because the copy I recieved was battered and worn - and I desperately like keeping all my books nice and on point.
Published 7 months ago by Thamanna

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING! EVERY FILM MAKER SHOULD HAVE ONE, 20 May 2004
This review is from: Guerilla Film Makers Movie Blueprint (Paperback)
I bought the Guerilla Film Makers Handbook two years ago and found it an amazing resource. When I heard Chris Jones had written another book, The Guerilla Film Makers Movie Blueprint, I wasn't sure how the GFMH could be improved. But by god he has done it! The Movie Blueprint is just that, a blueprint of exactly what to do, when, where and how much its going to cost you. It's not a sequel to the original GFMH, in fact it's radically different and is actually thirty blueprints, covering everything from camera and casting, through catering and sales and distribution. While it's MASSIVELY detailed, it's also easy to read, partly because Jones writes with such enthusiasm, but also because he has an ability to make complex concepts appear clear and simple. There are loads of diagrams and picture too, making it a pleasurable feast for the eyes. Best of all, and unlike any other book I have ever read, it takes you on the journey of a film maker, holding your hand as you jump through all the required hoops, AND giving you a sense of how you will feel when you do it. I read it cover to cover in three days and now dip in and out on a daily basis. I can't recommend this enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book gets your movie made!, 7 Mar. 2006
This review is from: Guerilla Film Makers Movie Blueprint (Paperback)
And I mean this literally: I produced my first film, a full-length feature, in the US with the help of the Blueprint which never left my or the director’s side. The book covers all any aspiring filmmaker needs to know to go out there and do it themselves. It prepares you for the traps and minefields that lurk at every level. I could never thank the Living Spirit crowd enough for this "Film school made simple". I for one have a great film to show for it. (You can take a look for yourself at [...] This is truly an indispensable handbook!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 7 May 2006
Linda Potgieter (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Guerilla Film Makers Movie Blueprint (Paperback)
I was exceptionally impressed with the author's style of writing which was jargon-free and, more importantly, without ego. Having read other material on the same subject, I have been disappointed and irritated by most authors' cynicism and frequent disdain for the new film maker. Aware as I am of the egomaniacal nature of the industry, Chris Jones's book was a breath of fresh air over and above its very practical nature. He achieves precisely what he should, a rare authoring skill.

The user-friendly yet detailed overview of the film maker's objectives and challenges is incredibly helpful. Coupled with a good sense of humour that doesn't undermine the subject to hand, I would strongly recommend this book for all industry new entrants who are serious about film making.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic tool for ANY film maker, 11 Feb. 2010
S. Coddigton "kickassdad" (Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Guerilla Film Makers Movie Blueprint (Paperback)
A very well written and informative book that covers all aspects of the film making process. After having spent 5 years training how to make films (at college and University) this book told me everything that they never teach you at film school. From the early developmental stages to how to plan your festival submissions and sales tactics (as well as everything in between)this book has it all.
A review here on Amazon has queried how much use it is to know about actors unions and contracts etc for your indie film, but they are missing the point. This book is not aimed at people who are shooting with a budget of £10 for their own enjoyment (and maybe hoping that exec at Miramax might just see it on Youtube and offer them a movie deal). It is aimed at the film maker who wants to turn his/her project into a serious, critical and commercial venture in what is after all business world. If you want to make films properly you need to read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and Concise, 24 Sept. 2005
AngryFarmer (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Guerilla Film Makers Movie Blueprint (Paperback)
I am new to film making and this book was my first purchase. I am currently nearing its end but I must say that this was money very well spent. This book takes the reader through all stages of Pre-Production, Production and all the way past Post-Production to Sales and Distribution.
Each chapter is filled with relevant information as well as resources and describes concisely in an easily readable manner just what it takes to do a certain job on set and even what qualities someone doing this job should have so you know who to look for. Perfect start.

5.0 out of 5 stars STAGGERING -, 6 Mar. 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Guerilla Film Makers Movie Blueprint (Paperback)
I bought this book because there was stuff I knew I didn't know. What shocked me was the mountain of stuff I didn't know, I didn't know. I consumed this book in a weekend. I have made three short films so really thought I knew my stuff. Boy oh boy!
Ignore the comments from the person below. The whole point of this book is to move past messing around with your camcorder with your mates, and into the real world of film making, with real actors, scripts and a real understanding of the journey from concept, to shoot, to premiere, to sales, and beyond. It covers everything and in some considerable depth. What makes this a stand out piece of work is the ease with which Mr Jones gets over extremely complicated concepts. And as far as I know, Mr Jones has made three indie features, one for under £10k! I suggest that does allow him to be considered a guerilla film maker!
The other thing thats great about it is the way you get to 'feel' what its like. This is not a classroom concept book, this is a real world experience. Another aspect is the sheer depth. How each department is run, who runs it, how long it takes, how much it costs, what you can get away with, what you cannot etc.
As for the reviewers (below) comments on Avid and Film etc., the book is completely Pro Choice and goes a great distance to stress this, but the essence of it is 'Best Practice', not cheapest, not personal favourite editing platform, not fastest etc., but BEST PRACTICE for someone with little or no money to bring a profesional movie to the marketplace and launch their carreer.
Buy it. I promis you that you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars And the next Spielberg , Ridley , "Insert your name here" is......., 11 April 2015
Doccox "ian_cox9" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Guerilla Film Makers Movie Blueprint (Paperback)
The Guerrilla Film Makers Movie Blueprint ( 2003)

Where do budding Spielberg’s / Ridleys/ ( insert any famous directors’ name here) come from? Mostly from film makers who made the hard way starting with budget movies!
Sadly , making a film involves a good script , hiring actors / equipment specialists/raising money /blagging resources and finally organising sale and distribution . It is possible to be a one man band – but extremely rare. So what is essential in making your own (wannabe) blockbuster ? Attend film school – maybe!?
Enter The Guerrilla Film Makers Movie Blueprint ( 2003) – a tome of some 600 pages written by a budget film maker by Chris Jones ( see also his Guerrilla Film makers hand book co written with his sometime partner in budget movies Genevieve Jolliffe)
This book goes step by step through the key elements of making a movie ( film or video - to be sold to be shown publically) with interviews/advice from existing players in the field. It is laid out in sections as blueprints and action flow charts
The “ blueprints” covered are
Setting up a company ( make it Limited) ; The Screenplay ( if it ain’t good , the film won’t be) ; The Directors job ( directing) ; The Producers job ( blagging the cash) ; The Crew ( what it may consist of depending on the budget) ; The Budget ( never enough) ; Casting and Actors ; Scheduling ; Assistant Director ; Production team ; Costume ; Make up ; Production design ; Sound ; Camera ; Catering ; Editing ; Post production Lab / sound ; Music ; Mastering ; festivals ( getting your film shown) ;Press and Publicity ; Sales and Distribution AND finally a discussion of the ( then) most popular video editing system.
Whist the book is “old” ( 2003) , and imaging technology has moved on ( was mainly film then plus early video , now mostly High Def Video) , much of it is perfectly valid today. Certainly the blagging of resources/personnel to get a miracle film produced for next to nothing ( think £10k minimum)
I am not a budding Spielberg ( now too old) and only create “one man” home / travel movies for personal / family consumption , so why did I buy this? Simple curiosity ( and a pristine S/H copy for the price of postage +1p) – a bargain.
Strongly recommend to any budding Director ( or anyone likely to be involved in the production of (budget) films)

5.0 out of 5 stars Just stop reading and go buy this awesome book! Now!, 4 Mar. 2010
Rhys Davies - See all my reviews
This review is from: Guerilla Film Makers Movie Blueprint (Paperback)
Well. OK if you're still here let me explain why this book is so good.

There's not many books, film making or otherwise, which I can say are indispensable but this one is. Luckily I stumbled upon it early in my career when film making was a brave new world to me. The Guerrillas' Blueprint saved me countless hours of trial and error, of cock ups and disasters. Sure I've had some of those but Chris Jones gives you a heads up of the pitfalls you may encounter. Without preaching he shows what could go wrong and how to try to avoid it.

It pretty much does what it says in the title. Each of the 30 odd chapters details, and I mean details, a specific area of film making from directing and editing to sales and festivals. As a first time feature director I found this approach invaluable. Want to know about Hi Def vs 35 mm go to the Camera Department chapter, how to create a set - the Production Design chapter, call sheets - Assistant Director chapter. As a novice you want it broken down like this. As a more advanced film maker it's format still remains accessible and offers a great resource which I return to again and again.

The detail in this book is incredible. The page count, in my edition, is 608 pages. That's 608 pages. There's even recipes for cheap food for Christ's sake. Does this guy ever stop?

As a film maker I can't believe how much time and effort has gone into create this book. What's more Chris Jones has given us information that has taken him years to find out through his own experiences. In an industry that is sometimes closed to outsiders this is nothing short of outstanding.

I think the single most important thing about this book is that it shows that film making is achievable. It strips away the veneer that film making is an impossible dream and gives you the tools to stop talking about it and just go and do it. As Chris says in the book "Get a camera, Get some stock, Go shoot a movie."

Basically get this book, shoot a movie - THAT'S your film school. So just stop reading this and go get a copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A blueprint, what more do you need?, 11 Feb. 2010
S. A. Payne (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Guerilla Film Makers Movie Blueprint (Paperback)
I have to say that this book demystifies the process of making your film from a practical level. The author has not only made three feature films, he has also had one of his short films shortlisted for the Best Short Film Oscar, as recently as 2009. Chris Jones doesn't just spout, he knows what he is talking about. I thoroughly recommend this book. I'm sure it will give you the information you need to take action. It did for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best blueprint bar none, 12 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Guerilla Film Makers Movie Blueprint (Paperback)
I'm a huge fan of the entire Guerilla Film Makers series - and of the work of Chris Jones (this book's author) - and this one tops the lot.

This is the first filmmaking book I've come across that covers ALL bases in the same place - from pre-production and script-writing to the technology used in production and post, the nitty-gritty of the paperwork you need to keep you organised and the roles of your crew (from a tiny, no-budget 3-4 person crew to a more traditional, varied and experienced 40-50 person indie crew), all the way through to post production and release.

Most significantly it's also the first filmmaking book that covers the process that spends almost as much time and an equal amount of detail on the post-post-production work of marketing, selling and distributing your film through festivals, sales agents and other routes.

If you want to make yourself a successful low-budget flick, this book is the best first step - and investment - you can possibly make.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Guerilla Film Makers Movie Blueprint
Guerilla Film Makers Movie Blueprint by Chris Jones (Paperback - 3 July 2003)