5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 20 Jan. 2009
This review is from: The Joan Baez Songbook: P/V/G Folio (Perfect Paperback)
This contains 66 of Joan Baez's best-loved folk songs. You'll find none of her later material here (no Dylan, no Nashville, no Ochs or Donovan,, no Diamonds and Rust and none of her foreign language stuff).
This is perfect for a beginner guitar player as well as the more experienced guitar player (two sets of chords are given for each song, with an indication of where the capo should go so that you can sing the song in the same key as Joan, while playing easier chords). You are given the key that Joan sings the song in, and all songs are arranged for the piano, too.
The book contains such songs as Jackaroe, Mary Hamilton, East Virginia, Geordie, Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You, Fennario, Wagoner's Lad, Once I Had A Sweetheart, Railroad Boy, Barbara Allen, Henry Martin, House Carpenter, Matty Groves, Donna, Donna, Portland Town, Plaisir D'Amour, I Once Loved A Boy, Banks of the Ohio, Long Black Veil, The Trees They Do Grow High, Lily of the West, Silkie, Fare Thee Well (10,000 Miles), Wildwood Flower, Rake and Rambling Boy, John Riley, Once I Knew A Pretty Girl, Three Fishers, Willie Moore, Black Is The Colour of My True Love's Hair, Annabel Lee, Pretty Boy Flloyd, Silver Dagger, Copper Kettle, Kumbaya, Hush Little Baby, All My Trials, Virgin Mary, Twelve Gates to the City, Battle Hymn of the Republic, House of the Rising Sun, Come All Ye Fair and Tender Maidens, The Cherry Tree Carol, The Unquiet Grave, Lonesome Road, What Have They Done with the Rain, Where Have All the Flowers Gone etc..You get the idea.
This is a beautiful book with stunningly gorgeous illustrations by fellow coffeehouse goer and folkster Eric Von Schmidt. There is also historical and musical commentary.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best collections of folk music you'll find, 13 Dec. 2009
A. J. Sturgess "Alan Sturgess" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Joan Baez Songbook: P/V/G Folio (Perfect Paperback)
I totally agree with and endorse the review by Fairuza Foch: this book is a goldmine for anyone who wants a superb collection of folksongs (which Fairuza usefully lists in their review).

The melodies are written as notation (no tab, I'm afraid). Chords are clearly labelled and the whole book is a joy. I bought my copy in the year it was published and it has been at the heart of my collection ever since, along with the equally good 'Folk Sing' compilations.

Comparable books that are currently in print are the set of four mini-books compiled by John Loesberg under the title 'Folk Songs and Ballads Popular in Ireland'.

Even so, if you can afford it, I'd thoroughly recommend the Joan Baez book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Joan Baez folk song book from the 60s, 8 Jun. 2011
I am very happy with this purchase. The illustrations are wonderful and although there were marks on the front cover, as the album is about forty years old and secondhand, I was not expecting it to be perfect. For its age it was in good condition and I am really pleased that I bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I was looking for, 21 Nov. 2012
This review is from: The Joan Baez Songbook: P/V/G Folio (Perfect Paperback)
I wanted a book of folk songs to play on my Spanish guitar, all in easy keys so I could sing along without having to peer at the fretboard. I have the Joan Baez recordings of these songs, which makes it even better to work with the book. Highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Joan Baez Songbook, 6 Mar. 2011
This review is from: The Joan Baez Songbook: P/V/G Folio (Perfect Paperback)
Way back in the late 60s/early 70s I had a copy of this book and gave it away! Wished I hadn't... it's packed with her songs traditional and otherwise and is a useful addition to anyone's collection... which is why I decided to track down another copy. Child Ballads and others are here, as featured on her earlier albums (I gave those away too! Foolish thing to do!)The chords are all included, so it's helpful for the budding folk singer. Illustrations are now probably considered very retro... but it's brought back memories from those days as well as the chance to revisit material that I used to sing.

5.0 out of 5 stars A 'classic' folk songbook, 4 Dec. 2012
This review is from: The Joan Baez Songbook: P/V/G Folio (Perfect Paperback)
I love this book. I sang many of the songs when they were first sung by Joan Baez and its great to go back to them and find that they are still wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really important book of music, 1 Mar. 2014
This review is from: The Joan Baez Songbook: P/V/G Folio (Perfect Paperback)
Joan Baez in her original style. A great anthology of songs of all sorts. Great addition to anyone's collection no matter what style you sing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Joan Baez songbook., 12 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The Joan Baez Songbook: P/V/G Folio (Perfect Paperback)
Great service. The item was delivered very quickly. The songbook is perfect. brings back so many memories of Joan Baez's early songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Joan Baez songbook, 26 Jun. 2013
This review is from: The Joan Baez Songbook: P/V/G Folio (Perfect Paperback)
How wonderful that you can still get hold of this! It's as great as I remember - chords and pics too!

The Joan Baez Songbook: P/V/G Folio
The Joan Baez Songbook: P/V/G Folio by Elie Siegmeister (Perfect Paperback - 1 Jun. 1964)