on 19 September 2011
The bluegrass fiddle virtuoso who played on Dylan's track Turkey Chase is called Byron Berline not Bonnie Berline.
The version of Spanish Is The Loving Tongue on the B side of Watching The River Flow is the excellent solo piano based version also found on the Australian CD compilation Masterpieces. It is not the overproduced version that appeared on the CD Dylan (A Fool Such As I).
Dylan appeared on volume one of the Tribute To Woody Guthrie LP series, not volume two.
These are three basic errors that appear in the latter part of this volume. There are others earlier on but I can't recall them now. These are quite substantial errors of basic fact.
The tragedy is that this is a darned good read otherwise. It must be because I am not a bookworm by any stretch of the imagination. It takes something pretty special to keep hold of my attention for the 600 plus pages that I have read so far. It is a mine of information on songs recorded and / performed by Dylan including mini biographies of the people who wrote or first performed the songs. I just hope that I haven't been fed too much false information without me knowing it.
A thorough proof reading by someone in the know and a revision of the text before the next edition is printed would work wonders.
on 3 February 2008
Just about the most exhaustive Dylan book to date this 2004 encyclopedia is as up to date as it could be by that time and its a reference book really as few will actually read from A to Z unless they're the kind of nitpickers who purposely look for mistakes.
Since this book went to press a lot has happenned including another best selling album Modern Times.An update could add a further 300 pages