Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 April 2011
I bought this book when it was not long published. It starts with the most basic of concepts, and illustrates them in a way any reasonably competent person can grasp. You are taken through a gradual process, which is fully explained and illustrated. Just as it says on the cover, you will learn how to see, and how to draw what you see. I can't recommend it enough. If you WANT to learn how to draw well, you should have this book on your shelves. You'll be doing yourself a real favour.
on 4 March 2015
I've always loved drawing. I've always been able to draw...a bit. What I've lacked was technique; limbs too short/long, facial features not quite in the right place. This superb book will address those issues for you; just a few weeks after purchasing it, I can almost draw likenesses (just a little more practice). Work through all the examples. They provide the necessary practice, help bring on your skill levels. Don't rush and don't be impatient. The rewards will come. When they do, you'll feel such a rush!
Ten stars.
I bought this book to try to improve my drawing, a hobby I have taken up late in life, It is very thorough and goes from drawing boxes (and other basic shapes), with emphasis on the vital need to check whether the box is above or below eye level, through perspective, light and shade, composition, still life, outdoors, figures, children and some of the media to use. I embarked on it with trepidation because of the effort required but am enjoying sketching the various shapes and doing the exercises. There is a refreshing lack of padding and the writer goes straight to the point with plenty of drawings to copy or to inspire my own and I am gaining in confidence and soon, I hope, in skill!.
on 26 April 2012
Fantastic book; I saw it in the Tate Gallery shop but saved £5 by purchasing it here instead. It's a real classic. I teach drawing skills to children and already used many of the methods that this book teaches, but it has helped me refine my explanations.
on 17 June 2014
This is a book that nicely goes through the fundamentals and gives tips that can be used everyday with your drawing. As a concept art lecturer I was looking for books to support the learners with their drawings and this book stood out for me. It is helpful and goes through the concepts without being overly complicated. The learners who have used a copy of this have found it helpful and really that says it all. This book covers a lot and if there is anything I would say it was missing it would be possibly digitally versions of the images so the pages would be less worn and some of the images in colour. A book for your bookshelf (though it may not stay there long).
on 29 August 2013
The book is very well written and very easy to understand. It's easy to learn about drawing as different aspects (i.e. perspective, people, landscapes etc..) are split up into projects, allowing you to learn and enhance your skills within a certain area.
on 31 January 2015
OMG
this is so helpful.
im twelve years old and am in the top 5 drawers in the class but now im the first in the school !
on 30 January 2016
The book itself is a good (if rather dull) treatment of basic elements of drawing - perspective, shadow etc. I have rated the book based on its content.

However, the two copies I ordered both had some sort of nasty staining on the edges of the pages.
on 28 February 2016
What a great book.
I started almost straight away just copying some of the examples of subjects, which are spheres, cones, cylinders and cubes, I think.
Anyway, a great addition to my growing library of drawing books.
on 22 December 2015
Instructional and useful. Use it as reference and ideas to improve but put in loads of practice if you really want the benefit