4.0 out of 5 stars Great knitting patterns, slightly confusing American terminology though.
I loved the patterns, most of them are very wearable but some of the instructions need a bit of 'translation' as it is an American book. I also found that the yarns used in the patterns were mostly very expensive types so in order to make it worthwhile I have had to choose cheaper types of wool, with not always perfect results. It will take a bit of practise getting used...
Published on 26 May 2009 by Mrs. S. A. Gale

3.0 out of 5 stars If your looking for Fun modern patterns - Dont buy this book
I'm new to knitting and wanted some cool modern patterns to knit after reading the reviews of this book I decided to purchase it. It looks really modern and fun from the cover. It seems to have a good reference section on techniques and the basics, but I really don't feel inspired to actually knit any of the projects featured. Some look very dated, I'll keep the book for...
Published on 1 Feb 2010 by Gem

5.0 out of 5 stars Very very very good book!, 14 Mar 2010
S. Wilkinson "Stef" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Chicks with Sticks Guide to Knitting: Learn to Knit with More Than 30 Cool, Easy Patterns (Paperback)
Very good book, is packed full of information and has a variety of patterns. Very good for novice knitters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great knitting guide!, 18 Mar 2009
Mrs. S. Sawchuk (UK) - See all my reviews
I just bought this book (yesterday!) having been inspired to learn how to knit. I have another knitting book (How to knit by Debbie Bliss) which covers the basics really well. However, I am not blown away by the patterns in that book so I was looking for another beginners book to supplement it.

This is definintely the right choice! I immediately want to try most of the patterns! There are scarves, hats, sweaters etc. There's only one that I really don't like (the basic shell top - it's not even flattering on the model!) and I can't wait to go wool shopping at the weekend so I can get cracking.

As another reviewer mentioned, the book is American. But a needle conversion chart is provided and the rest of the book is fine. As a total novice, I would have preferred the yarns used to be ones easily available in the UK so I wouldn't have to worry about picking out a suitable alternative but it's not really a problem.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice enough book but uses American wool with no alternatives - completely useless for me, 15 Jun 2014
Jennifer May (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This is a good introduction to knitting, with lots of diagrams and helpful hints. However, I didn’t find this very useful as none of the wool for the projects are available in the UK, and as a beginner I didn’t want to substitute. Also, not many of the projects are particularly tempting , such as washcloths and belts. Although this is probably an excellent book for those in America, it may not be such a good choice for people living in England.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little book for anyone wanting to learn to knit, 3 Jun 2014
Lovely book for novice knitters, good colour illustrations and ideal patterns for beginners. If I had to find something to criticise it would be the American jargon which for someone like myself who is an inexperienced knitter I had to read the instructions a few times before the penny dropped. The book arrived in excellent condition but thanks to Royal Mail I received it after the due date through no fault of the seller. The seller responded immediately to my e-mail with sound advice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes knitting a walk in the park, 20 Oct 2013
A great book for the beginner but without confining you to knit scarves for the next few months. Step by step explanations give you the confidence to try more difficult patterns even at the beginning.

5.0 out of 5 stars chicks with sticks, 23 Sep 2013
To me it will be a good reference book for me to learn to do my knitting and to learn to do all those different types of patterns and how to increase and decrease stitches which is what I was lookijg for

4.0 out of 5 stars Colourful and instructive, 25 Jun 2013
Step by step guide shows you the basics and moves you on. The book shows you all the lovely things you can make. Bought for my daughter who was very pleased with it at the time - and it taught her how to knit. You have to show some dedication to working through the book, though. Practice makes perfect and all that.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's ok, 1 Mar 2013
Someone has lend me this book as i am a total begginer! It is ok but i think it could have been done better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy hints, 9 Feb 2013
Needed some sort of guide to remind me how to knit. A very handy guide with great tips. Very useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent purchase, 26 Sep 2010
Excellent purchase. i had the desire to learn to knit but wasn't sure about the basics and I am so glad I bought this book. It has shown me how to knit myself a wonderful wrap/shawl alongside learning how to knit various types of stitches. The book starts with easy projects and works it's way through to harder projects. I would definitely recommend this book.

12.99