Format: Paperback|Change

on 1 August 2011
I have been using this book for two years now as a source for the biography / autobiography work in literacy that is taught in Year 6. I use it as a source for my lower ability / SEN pupils who would have difficulty in accessing the level of reading in Long Walk To Freedom. It is simply written, with an appropriate level of detail and use of pictures. I actually used it in an interview, having scanned the pages of the book so I could use them on an interactive whiteboard. The Headteacher commented on my great use of resources and how appropriate the book was to what I was teaching, how it was great to see non-fiction used in such an enthusiastic way, and how the level was appropriate to the year 3/4 class that I was teaching.

The only thing that they could do to improve this range of books would be to supply them on a CD-Rom so that they could be used in the classroom on the Interactive whiteboard. This would be a resource that I would definitely purchase.

A great book, which I will be continuing to use in my classroom practice. Highly recommended!!!
on 22 March 2012
Nelson Mandela
A life of Persistence
By Jennifer Boothroyd
This book is about Nelson Mandela's life and how hard he worked to get equal rights for black people in South Africa. It shows how after all his hard times he helped blacks and whites live together and he got himself out of prison and became president. It talks about Nelson Mandela's life so it is easy to read.
My favourite page is page 22 because it shows a picture of Nelson being set free and it shows you can do anything if you want to.
The contents can be found on page 3.
The index can be found on page 32.
The glossary can be found on page 31.
There are proper photos which I feel makes it real. The chapters and the headings are all very interesting. It has lots of good information.
I would improve the amount of dates and information.
My overall score for this book is 38/40.
Amber N
on 10 January 2014
I am a year 1 teacher. During guided reading I have a group independently reading books to do with our topic. The children of all abilites love this book- they often fight over it!
A grreat book that helps the children to understand a brillant hero.
on 7 December 2014
Great facts and easy read for 7 year old
on 15 December 2014
Rip respect for your elders