5.0 out of 5 stars New direction for this paranormal series

5.0 out of 5 stars New direction for this paranormal series, 2 Feb 2009
Helen Hancox "Auntie Helen" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Ecstasy: The Shadowdwellers (Mass Market Paperback)
Jacquelyn Frank's 'Nightwalker' series has focused on various Nightwalkers ('Elijah', 'Noah', 'Damien' etc) and their search for mates. In the last couple of books there has been mention of the 'Shadowdwellers', another race of beings not really mixing with the rest of the things-that-go-bump-in-the-night. 'Ecstasy' is apparenly the start of a new series which focuses on the Shadowdwellers with just a few references to the Nightwalkers (and a brief appearance by one of the heroes of the previous series). This means that Ecstasy works very well as a standalone book and that there's no important information carried over from the previous series.

The world of the Shadowdwellers is very interesting; they have reality ('realscape') but also a sort-of alternative reality ('shadowscape') which is a version of reality but without people and light. The Shadowdwellers can visit Shadowscape but not for longer than a few days as it tends to give them a euphoric effect which can significantly harm them. As the book starts Trace, a very important political figure in the Shadowdweller world, is visiting Shadowscape in order to battle a traitor. As he fights this traitor he sees a woman, one of the 'Lost', kind of spirit-beings with no consciousness who are remnants of people in comas in the real world. However this 'Lost' person is clearly able to see and hear Trace, something that has never happened before. Not only that, when Trace is mortally wounded, this woman, Ashla, is able to heal him.

Trace knows that Ashla can only exist in Shadowscape and that he can't safely stay there very long. However he is intrigued by Ashla, and when he is forcibly dragged back to reality, the world in which his political expertise is required to maintain the safety of the twin regents of the Shadowdwellers, he fears he won't see Ashla again. But Ashla is rather unique - she may be an important figure in Trace's life, as well as someone who can keep Trace and those he love safe in other ways.

Jacquelyn Frank has a very lyrical writing style, her prose is far more interesting than one often finds in this genre of book. Her descriptions of Shadowscape were particularly effective, and of Ashla's confusion as she finds herself in this grey and lonely world. Slightly less successful for this reader was the characterisation of Ashla and Trace who both felt a little one-dimensional to me. However I very much enjoyed reading this book and although it didn't tie up all the loose ends, presumably as a springboard to the next in the series, it was a really interesting and often original read.

Originally published for Curled Up With A Good Book Helen Hancox 2008

4.0 out of 5 stars Original, Different, a good read, 5 Mar 2009
This review is from: Ecstasy: The Shadowdwellers (Mass Market Paperback)
Ive never read one of Jacquelyn Franks books before, i had to get my head around differnt "scapes" that these people lived in, some lived in shadow, others in light, there are some meanings that take a bit of thinking about,but i found once i got into the story and figured out what was what it is a very clever and well written book. The main characters are well written and likable, a real love comes out against all odds. i would recommend this book, just to say its very explicit in the bedroom! if you dont mind it very detailed you will enjoy a very off the wall book.I will look out for her next chapter in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars FRANKstasy, 10 May 2009
This review is from: Ecstasy: The Shadowdwellers (Mass Market Paperback)
Having followed Jacquelin Frank's Demon series then having the series end with my beloved demon king. I took great pleasure in devouring the story of the shadowdwellers, as they only got a small mention in the last demon series. I highly recommend this book to anyone who has read a book by Ms Frank, she has kept true to her form her women are sexy, funny, strong and original when you least expect it, and her men are (oh my God, is he looking at me! gorgeous) but most of all each character has a story to tell, and how their stories entwine to become one story is great. My only grievance is that I feel left dangling from a rope in the sense that Frank's readers were left with the final battle we all know is rapidly approaching between the demons yet she has jumped to shadowdwellers, where we begin a new battle and pardon the pon areas in the book of who, what, and where the shadowdwellers originate is shady at best, I am hopng for more understanding of their world in Ms Frank's next book. All in all a totally enjoyable read, I highly reccomend to all lovers of worlds not like ours.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 17 Feb 2009
L. Murphy (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ecstasy: The Shadowdwellers (Mass Market Paperback)
I have read several of the earlier Nightwalker books, but stopped because I was not enjoying them (Elijah, especially, was dire, and I won that in a competition!). I had hopes for this story, and the actual plot and characters were very good; interesting and engaging - or at least they would be if the author didn't feel the need to interject banal and obvious character realisations every now and then. Failing that, at least keep it in the characters voice - it was as if, every few pages, the author popped in to make sure sure we got the point. Very, very jarring, and it made the book quite easy to put down.

Also, I found the male character in particular too American, considering he was the Grand Vizer of an entirely different culture. Replying, "Yeah, sugar" is just sloppy.

Generally, I found that the writing, sadly, does not match the imagination - it could have been SO good.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, 24 April 2009
J. Jensen - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ecstasy: The Shadowdwellers (Mass Market Paperback)
I can honestly say that Jacquelyn Frank is one of my favorite writers with this new series. I love her male leads, and find all her characterisations to be solid rather than bland and superficial. Im happy she is still introducing us to more of the people inhabiting her magical world, and although I love her demon books, this installment is right up there with those. Superb!

4.0 out of 5 stars If you liked the previous titles, you will want to add this to the collection, 21 Mar 2009
Hannah Stone (Suffolk, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ecstasy: The Shadowdwellers (Mass Market Paperback)
I loved the previous titles by this author and for the first chapter or so I missed the characters in them dreadfully and had a hard time adjusting to a new set of people. It was well worth the effort.

The Shadowdwellers have culture and history quite distinct from the other races, and they are clearly much more isolated than their demon/lycan/vampire counterparts. There are the essential similarities that make up all the best romances- the idea of a single partner being the soul mate, for example, and the suprise of all concerned when a soul mate turns out to be not of the same race. The plot is initially driven by the male character's inability to control himself sexually around the heroine, and their first sexual contact lies perilously close to rape. This is mixed with some Dominance and Submission play that gives the sex a real edge.

The plot moves to a tense ending that clearly indicates which character will be next for a story of his own.

Where some paranormal romance books read like Mills and Boon with Fangs Jacquelyn Frank has created complex characters who have lots of emotional baggage of their own to deal with, making them sympathetic but not cliched. I will definately buy the next book in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jacquelyn Frank Novels., 24 Feb 2013
I love Jacquelyn Frank, her novels are amazing and so well written. She writes stories that allow you to lose yourself and you find yourself journeying along with the characters that you are reading about, you actually get a glimpse of what they are going through and can metaphoracally speaking experience everything that they do.

4.0 out of 5 stars So what happens next?, 9 Sep 2012
I read the first few chapters and was a bit confused with the 'scapes' and also a bit bored. But as the story unfolded it hooked me in and by the end i was dying to know who the bad guy was.... but annoyingly that wasn't revealed. Oh and i should add the sex bits are very explicit so not one for granny!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not convinced..., 8 Nov 2009
J. Smyth - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ecstasy: The Shadowdwellers (Mass Market Paperback)
I bought this book after it was recommended to me through Amazon. I was searching for new authors at the time and picked this up. Can't say I was hugely impressed. I didn't feel particularly engaged with either of the major characters, and the intimate scenes between them were definitely on the side of erotica. Which is okay if you like that sort of thing, but I prefer my characters to build up to a relationship, not work down from one... The writing is okay, but occasionally confusing. There is clearly a larger world in the author's mind, but it doesn't come through that much in this book - just lots of frustrating references that make no sense and leave you confused. I guess that will clear up with further books in the series, but although I'll try Frank again, it won't be with this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Notch, 20 Oct 2009
This review is from: Ecstasy: The Shadowdwellers (Mass Market Paperback)
If you liked the Nightwalker Series then you will love this. Ecstasy is definately the start of what is sure to be another good series for Ms. Frank. You meet the Shadowdwellers in the Nightwalker Series but you dont really know to much about them so this is great to learn more about them. They live in different "Scapes" Realscape (our world) and Shadowscape (paralell world with no light). They cannot stay in Shadowcape for to long or they go into a Euophoric state.
Shadowscape is where our lead characters Trace & Ashla meet when Trace is fighting against an enemy and is injured and Ashla saves him. But in Shadowscape Ashla shouldn't be able to see Trace. As Humans who are in Shadowscape are in a coma in Realscape. I wont go into any more detail about that as I wouldn't like to spoil the book for anyone who hasn't read it.
I love the main characters in this book and I also think it is nice to see an appearance of one of the Demons from the Nightwalker Series. I wont say who you'll have to read the book.
I am definately looking forward to the next book. Keep up the good work Jacquelyn.

Ecstasy: The Shadowdwellers
Ecstasy: The Shadowdwellers by Jacquelyn Frank (Mass Market Paperback - 2 Jan 2009)
6.09