on 23 November 2000
I hate it when the reviews are excellent for a book but you have no idea what it is about so here goes: Set during the American war of Independence, the story tells of Rahab (Rae) a young woman frustrated by her seeming inability to help the colonial cause. Thinking that she is helping, her sister in law Ashley asks if she can deliver a message on behalf of the rebel cause to a local tavern. Once at the tavern Rae is mistaken for a barmaid (and worse besides) and thus the trouble ensues. Following a rapid escape aided by the stunning Jericho Smith, she promptly faints and loses her memory. Smith of course believes his companion to be a harlot and so the situation worsens. The rest of the book follows the pair through adventure after adventure as they fight and then succumb to their mutual attraction. I was not expecting much from this book and as I had not read others in the series I was not sure I would appreciate all the secondary characters. I found however that this did not lessen the charm of possibly the best book I have read. Impossible to put down, you are constantly bombarded with dangerous situations that the two get trapped in. Jericho is a lovable rogue who you fall for instantly and also has a few secrets up his sleeve to keep the action moving nicely.
Rae proves a feisty and hilarious heroine. Some of Rae's mishaps had me laughing out loud, I must admit that the loss of memory was a tad unrealistic but who cares? Other times my heart was beating so fast it is unreal. This book is a true gem from start to finish. The way that the story links up is great and the hunt at the end inspired. I'll definately be reading more of Jo Goodman's books ! I recommend this to anyone.