Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 10 May 2014
This story is so predictable! It was tempting to believe I have the precognitive powers the hero (a charlatan wizard) claims to possess. The trouble is that predictable isn't entertaining and a bitter, devious manipulative 'hero' who serves a cruel murderous master isn't what romantic dreams are made of. Simon just isn't all that nice, somehow he is just a little too slimy to have any 'bad boy' appeal either.
The sub romance between the spoilt, medieval Barbie doll younger sister and the equally wooden Ken lookalike Thomas, is as charmless as the main Romance between Alys and Simon.
The baddy, Richard, is a poor copy of Alan Rickmans sheriff of Nottingham, imagine the same character, but a 2 dimensional, uglier version with no sense of humour and you're not far off the mark.
I was tempted to read this based on the positive reviews including some praising the dialogue. But the dialogue is not witty and is in fact unremarkable and often there isn't much of it. Richard makes threats, Simon likes to make shocking statements that prove how naughty and clever he is (well at least to the ignorant and gullible people the author has made the other characters), Alys often sits with her eyes down cast, silently seething at everyone and Ken and Barbie, sorry Claire and Thomas, just argue innanely.
on 13 May 2013
I love Anne Stuart, I think she tells a good angsty tale that really sucks you in (and here's the thing, if you are in the mood). I find that I have to leave a gap between each of her books as they do tend to follow a similar pattern.and I agree with other reviewers that they can be quite bleak. However, she does write well and I pretty well always end up buying when a new 'Stuart' comes up.
on 19 June 1999
No one can call this a "trashy" romance novel. The plot is original, the sentances are amazingly well-crafted. Simon of Navarre manages to seduce Alys and the reader. A story too intruiging to put down!
on 5 June 1999
"Lord Of Danger" by Anne Stuart is the first book I have read of hers. And I truely loved this book. I have read it twice already and am in awe of it. I am now looking for other books of Anne Stuart that have the same kind of plots as "Lord Of Danger" I can't wait to read more like this book.
on 6 June 2016
Excellent
on 7 May 2013
As usual, Anne Stuart delivers a very good and entertaining read. I can't wait till her next book is available.
on 11 January 1999
I liked this book much better than Lord Of Magic.
I like Anne Stuart's use of a major female character and a minor one.