4.0 out of 5 stars haunting and tragic, often brilliant, 30 May 2011
rob crawford "Rob Crawford" (Balmette Talloires, France) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This book was recommended to me as a way to understand what I was seeing as a visitor to S Africa, to get a bit into the inner lives of the characters that I saw as I was working.

It is a very sad story, in the form of a monologue to a dead boy - a squandered talent - and to his lost loves. While the voice is a bit off-putting, addressing the boy as "you" and then referring to everyone else in the third person, I got into the characters and the scene in great depth.

This is a chronicle of several failed attempts to leave a backward and xenophobic village, for a huge ghetto near Johannesburg. It is painful to read, but very very rewarding and an accurate reflection of the crisis in S Africa today, where the entire society seems to be breaking down in violence, Aids, promiscuity, and rape. According to my friends here, it is chillingly real and felt so to me.

Warmly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars South African talent, 13 Jun. 2012
Dr. U. A. Barnett (London U K) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Welcome to Our Hillbrow: A Novel of Postapartheid South Africa (Paperback)
The author of this book died young, before he could enjoy the success of his book. It can be assumed that he died of Aids, and Aids is a strong theme running through the book. It is a very powerful story. One feels like being hit with a hammer again and again. There is humour too, but one senses the sadness and despair of some of the people living in the Johannesburg suburb of Hillbrow in South Africa. The story goes at a breathless pace that carries us along. I highly recommend this book to readers anywhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic book about life, 4 Mar. 2015
A fantastic book about life.. Told from a unique perspective.. It offers an interesting insight into a section of modern day SA.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and touching novella, 18 Jan. 2013
Had to buy this for my studies but am very glad for it, as it is a very worthwhile read beyond the classroom too.

Welcome to Our Hillbrow: A Novel of Postapartheid South Africa
Welcome to Our Hillbrow: A Novel of Postapartheid South Africa by Phaswane Mpe (Paperback - 15 Mar. 2011)