Published on 31 July 2007 by Happyfamily

3.0 out of 5 stars Sew-sew
Published on 22 Nov 2006 by S Bradley

3.0 out of 5 stars Sew-sew, 22 Nov 2006
This review is from: Sew U: The Built by Wendy Guide to Making Your Own Wardrobe (Spiral-bound)
I really liked this book when I first got it, because the illustrations are good, and it's full of useful advice and information. However on closer inspection there were a couple of things about it that disappointed me: things like, although the book gives a project ticket for a bias cut skirt, nowhere in the book does it actually tell you how to lay pattern pieces out on the bias; there's no information about altering pattern sizes if they're not quite right for you; and I would also say that if you're buying this book and hoping to make clothes using the patterns that come with this book, and you're an average size woman, you might be out of luck. I'm a size 8-10 in most UK stores, but I'm on the outside LARGE edge on the size chart in this book; meaning, if I was any bigger, I wouldn't be able to use these patterns to make clothes. That's a severe downfall of the book in my opinion. That said, it does have some great ideas and info, and I can see this forming the basis of my ability to design and make my own clothes from hereon in, and it is a lot more funky and youthful than the other dressmaking books you get.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fashion sewing book with full size patterns for skirt, shirt, trouser, 31 July 2007
Happyfamily (Essex) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Excellent book for those wanting to be more creative in their sewing. The book comes with 3 full size patterns for a skirt, shirt and trouser, they come in 4 sizes: XS, small, medium and large, large being the usual size 12 for Simplicity patterns. The measurements for the large size are: bust 38.5", waist 31", hip 42", so if your measurements are equal or smaller than those ones then you will be able to use the patterns. If not, the patterns can easily be made bigger, this however is not explained in the book. What makes this book different from the others are that the author clearly shows you how to make a variety of designs from each pattern, so for example although there is only one skirt pattern, you can make lots of different skirts by altering it (A line skirt, pencil skirt, ruffle skirt, summer skirt, back to school skirt, holiday skirt, spring skirt and so on). Same with the shirt and trouser patterns. The tutorials are clear and comprehensive. The book is aimed at beginners and intermediate sewers.

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit basic for what I was expecting, 7 April 2010
I will be keeping this one and don't get me wrong it's a good book with some sound advice and clearly worked instructions and drawings.

I bought this based on reviews at a couple of the blogs I read and am a little dissappointed at how basic a lot of the patterns and idea's are.

If you're a beginner this is the book for you!! If intermediate or better is your sewing skill then perhaps choose something more advanced as far as pattern drafting is concerned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for beginners!, 19 Dec 2007
Ella Stafford (Oxford, England) - See all my reviews
I bought this book in order to help me get back into sewing...and I love it! The author is friendly, easy to understand and makes it fun! The book is well set out and covers a wide range of basic techniques. The book includes patterns for a skirt, shirt & pants. The author gives lots of cool ideas as to how to customise and change the patterns. Unlike a lot of sewing books it is modern and fresh. It is ringbound which is great as it lies flat and has a hard cover too making it more robust. I highly recommend this book to people getting into sewing as this books makes it far less daunting and lots of fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you!, 27 Sep 2006
M. Øynes (drammen, norway) - See all my reviews
I have been looking for a book with basic, easy-to-alter patterns and good sewing tips for several years. I have been disappointed several times. This, however, is frankly brilliant. Easy to understand for the beginner, with useful tips for the more experienced seamstress, this book is good for most. Buy it. Now.

3.0 out of 5 stars nice book, 24 July 2012
I'm just learniong to sew, and though I can follow simple directions, I was a bit afraid to try a full clothes's pattern. This book tries to make that as simple as possible. The directions seem simple and concise. I haven't read all the patterns and still need to try a pattern. but for the moment I'm satisfied with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous book and a delight to read, 16 April 2013
I just received this book today. I'd never heard of built by Wendy before discovering it in a couple of blogs.

I am an experienced sewer but rusty and looking for a bit of inspiration and motivation to take the dust cover off of my machine.

I love it. It was just what I was looking for. In contrast to most other books I own about sewing this one is light, chatty and informative. Reading this book is like having a conversation with the author. It isn't just a book about sewing it is her story too.

I will be buying more of her books soon, but first I need to dust off my machine and make something using one the patterns included in this one.

I can recommend this book to all beginners and people like me who need to catch the sewing bug again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab book, 4 April 2009
I love this book! the pants pattern is fantastic and fits really well, the instructions are easy to follow and the customizing options are inspiring...buy it now!

4.0 out of 5 stars like it, 8 Dec 2009
R (Worcester Park) - See all my reviews
I'm a beginner / intermediate sewer. I started sewing without knowing much. i enrolled in a class and that was not very beneficial however i did learn some and also the class is great. This book is basic and you learn quite a few things that no-one tells you.
The patterns have no ease allowance so take care with that.
Apart from that i loved the book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars, 25 Aug 2014
boring

Sew U: The Built by Wendy Guide to Making Your Own Wardrobe
Sew U: The Built by Wendy Guide to Making Your Own Wardrobe by Beci Orpin (Spiral-bound - 18 Jan 2007)
Used & New from: £12.28