5.0 out of 5 stars A Heart Wrenching Account of Child abuse
Published on 12 Aug 2003

2.0 out of 5 stars book
not a well written book..very hard to follow and never got to the end of it because it was boring..
Published 4 months ago by maurice pinner

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Heart Wrenching Account of Child abuse, 12 Aug 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Because I Remember Terror, Father, I Remember You (Associated Writing Programs Award for Creative Nonfiction) (Paperback)
This is the most moving book I have read. It's graphical content of the abuse Sue incurred at the hands of her Father is both frightening and unforgivable. The way she portrayed her story through herself as a child makes it even more heart wrenching and at certain points in the book I found myself saying No outloud and then crying. How can any one do such sordid things to an innocent child.
I admire the way Sue has used her experience to help and protect others and am glad to here she is living as normal a life as she can.
My heart goes out to Sue and anyone out there who has or is going through such bad times.

5.0 out of 5 stars Writing with Courage, 10 Aug 2005
Angela (Chicago, Illinois USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this book 2 years ago and within 2 days I read it and cried. Sue's painful experiences as a child of sexual abuse (incest) were described in harrowing detail and gave reflections of how she coped mentally; with the simplicity and honest emotion of her writing, readers can get a sense of her agony and helplessness.
This book shows the reality of many children's lives (as you read this now) that are destroyed by perpetrators and also those who allow such heinous behaivour to occur and continue.
This is definitly a piece to keep for a personal library collection...I've read it twice since the initial time and I still cry and revel in Silverman's craft.

5.0 out of 5 stars Strength, 15 Aug 2004
Vicky Lester (Dereham, Norfolk United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I purchased this book a few days ago and have already completed it. At times i have cried, felt red hot anger, felt shock, and also felt sick to my stomach !
As a parent myself i know how much you want to protect your children and keep them safe.
I was so angry that this man who called himself "Daddy"
would inflict so much abuse, fear and pain on someone so small and helpless, when he should have been protecting her from these sick kind of people. Also her mother pretending that she can't hear it's just beyond belief.
There were many times, i would put the book down as i didn't want to read anymore,i just wanted to get inside the book and take Sue home with me and give her her childhood back.
But i had to keep on reading to know that she would overcome and find some strength, which i believe she did in her own way.
A story to be read to understand the meaning of "STRENGTH".

5.0 out of 5 stars A powerful and moving account of survival and recovery., 29 Jan 1997
By A Customer
This is one of the most painfully honest books you will ever read, on a subject that was once taboo but now is being talked about openly more and more. This is not only a harrowing account of the author's sexual abuse by her father for most of her childhood, but a penetrating psychological examination of how she was affected by it, how she was able to survive, and after long hard years of therapy, eventually to recover. It is also a book about how she was able through her writing to find ways of rebuilding a shattered self by acquiring the means of verbal expression that she had been denied as an abused child. The writing of the book, in a sense, becomes the final chapter of her recovery. Needless to say, this is not a pretty story, and I found some parts almost too painful to read, but it is finally a triumphant story that you will not easily forget.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-Read!, 28 Jun 1997
By A Customer
One woman's anguish, confusion, destruction endured during and the pain, struggle, truths and triumph of recovery from child sexual abuse. The language is almost overwhelming. At last a book that captures the reality of the violence and humiliation that child sexual abusers use to torment and try to silence their victims. And the triumph of one victim cutting through the shame and finding her voice for outrage. A must-read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Because I Remember Terror, 28 July 2004
By A Customer
No truer words have been spoken then the title of this book. If you want to understand what a child of sexual abuse goes through then you must read this book.
I also recommend buying and reading Nightmares Echo along with this book. To get the whole story, painful as it may be and to understand the children that lived through it. Both books also offer hope.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful recovery tool, 16 May 2000
By A Customer
After being sexually abused by my father from the ages of 11 to 15, I have been plagued by guilt ever since, always seeing myself back then as the adult I am now and never understanding how it wasn't my fault. This book was an absolute God-send. The author sets the scene before you from the world of a child, remembering the confusion and conflicting feelings remarkably well. It has helped me in my recovery beyond measure by reminding me that I was a child too once, and I am not to blame.

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute must read, 27 April 2003
By A Customer
The physical and mental complications of child sexual abuse, is expressed in contrast, with such clarity. In this memoir, the authors choice of words are very, very striking. This heartbreaking book does more than give you an insight; you are her, survivor or not. A must read for all walks of life.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read for victims of child sex abuse, 13 Oct 2001
By A Customer
This book is excellent. It gives a personal account of a young girls tragic life of coping with incest and the lack of support from her family members which allow the abuse to continue.
It also gives hope to victims for a "normal" life after the healing process.

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest and compelling, 10 July 2006
I have read lots of books on this theme but Sue Silvermans account of her chidhood really made me understand the hold that abusers have over their subjects and why it isn't easy to escape them. She writes from the heart with an honesty and clarity that is to be sdmired, and her strength of charachter glows through. A book that you will find hard to put down.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›