5.0 out of 5 stars Gus hits the jackpot
'Every Hand Revealed' is an absolute must-read for all poker players in my opinion ...

Published on 22 July 2008 by Ms. Victoria Mai Wale

2.0 out of 5 stars Gusted
Yeah, this is an ok story of the player's progress through a single tournament but doesn't really help to improve the reader's game. Gus has a sense of humour but it doesn't stack up against some of the more helpful and recent publications such as Kill Everyone etc.
Published 16 months ago by Surfboard

5.0 out of 5 stars Gus hits the jackpot, 22 July 2008
Ms. Victoria Mai Wale "victoriawale" (east sussex. uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Every Hand Revealed (Paperback)

I have a vast poker library and this is now one of my favourites. Gus takes us on his journey through his victory at the Aussie Millions hand by hand with his thoughts behind each move, acknowledgement of alternative strategies and then his reasoning for choosing the path he does.

Each chapter represents a different day of the tournament and begins with Gus's thoughts on preparation, overall strategy for the day etc. Each chapter then ends with a recap.

While I think some hands could have been omitted, they do add to the overall feel of playing the tournament on Gus' shoulder and sometimes in reality you do just get "napkins" after "napkins". Gus' explanations for moves are delivered logically and while it's not a strategy many would adopt it is certainly food for thought for those who are prepared and willing to expand their outlook.

When Gus makes bad plays ... he tells us. When he makes good plays ... he tells us. When he steams ... he tells us. When he misreads his hand ... he tells us. He tells us everything and in a very charming, readable manner.

Gus is a great poker player, and now, it transpires a great writer. I can't wait to get his next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Great Dane is Barking, 2 Aug 2008
dangermash (Hartlip, Kent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Every Hand Revealed (Paperback)
This was a really enjoyable read for me. Gus goes through the 300+ hands that he played in winning some big tournament in Australia and explains his thinking hand by hand. A shame that he didn't mention all the hands he folded preflop - including these would have given a better picture of Gus' play, even if it would have made the book more boring in places

But I'd better tell you why I liked the book before I go any further. It reminded me a bit of reality television. I felt like I was sitting there watching Gus from behind the safety of a TV screen and waiting for the car crash to happen. It was also a bit like listening to Dark Side of the Moon in that it gave me a picture of what goes on inside the head of a barking loon

You see, Gus is a very different player to those that have read through Harrington, Moshman, Gordon et al. His starting requirements for betting are unbelievably loose, he has no respect for position at the table, he spits in the face of Sklansky's Gap Concept, he never folds his blinds,... Need I go on?

This is definitely more a book to read for entertainment than one to learn from, unless
- you need a bit more aggression in your game, or
- you're planning in playing tourmanents with big stacks, long blind levels and high antes relative to blinds, or
- you're Andrew "Gutshot" Chow from Bristol, in which case Gus Hansen is relatively sane and might be able to help tighten your game.

4.0 out of 5 stars Insightful - but don't believe the cover blurb, 12 Mar 2011
This review is from: Every Hand Revealed (Paperback)
I've read this over the last couple of days and Gus Hansen's Every Hand Revealed has proved to be a refreshing - if not educational - read. It's refreshing in that every other poker book you read is effectively a learning manual, whereas this is a blow-by-blow account of the Aussie Millions 2007 tournament where Hansen swept through the field of 747 players to win 1.5m Aus dollars.

Anyone who is anything more than the most casual poker player will probably enjoy it, but otherwise steer well clear, as in essence the book consists of Hansen talking through 300 hands. But it's insightful because we rarely ever get the chance to see this level of detail around a specific tournament and a famous pro who's effectively laying his game on the table. So if you're very much into your poker, then this is a very worthwhile read :)

Be warned, this isn't an instructional book, despite the taglines on the back cover which are a little misleading. I recall someone mentioning that their game has deterioriated since they tried to imitate Hansen's style. Do not try to imitate, and if you're a relative novice (like me) or a complete beginner (actually I fall into this latter category!) I wouldn't even consider playing half the hands that Hansen did in this tournament. The key thing that the book can never convey properly, is Hansen's sense of reading the players and the table. Aside from the fact that early in the tournament his opponents generally held bad cards (his words), his decisions were undoubtedly influenced by his read of the mood at the table, and how players were reacting to his moves and other pots. This simply can't be taught - at least not in this book, so you need to take his plays with a pinch of salt in relation to your own game.

That said, there is one thing I've taken away from this - stealing, if done at the right time, can pay high dividends and I will be putting this to the test more :)

A really good read anyway, and one thing's for sure - if I were playing against him I would have utterly no idea what he was holding! Kamikaze indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not so crazy after all!!!, 5 Dec 2008
Mr. S. Ryan "Scotty2hotty" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Every Hand Revealed (Paperback)
I credit this book with helping me win my first ever full field tournament. Gus has been called all sorts of things ranging from "crazy" to "brilliant" and i have to agree with the latter. His style of play may seem a little counter intuitive, but there is immense method to his madness. What some people don't realise is that in tournament play, luck plays a big factor. When your opponent doesn't have a hand, it will serve you extremely well to represent one yourself. Gus shows you how to recognise when these little situations occur and how to exploit them. I'm not advocating being as loose as a soho hooker, just saying that a little backbone will help immensely. Great book and no, i won't be lending it to anyone!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Gus Hansen Review, 4 Mar 2009
Gavin Blakeway "G .B" (MIDLANDS U.K) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Every Hand Revealed (Paperback)
I purchased this book with the intention of seeking an alternative insight into tournament poker and boy did I get it !
The layout and structure of Every Hand revealed is unique compared to other poker books ,such as Harrington's books on Holdem Tournaments ( which are still the ultimate texts on poker). Hansen , with the use of a dictaphone analyses his plays during the Aussie Millions Tournament which he went on to win .This gives us an excellent insight into really how his mind works and shows the method in the madness of some of the plays he makes .
The book is not like others in that it set outs bullet point tips of how to play certain hands or positions , it is seeking more from the reader , in that , in wants you to pick up some of the things that Hansen does and use them in your game when the situation arises.He doesn't make grand statements on the game or set rules , he breaks rules and plays the game on feel for the situation .
A poker book for those who feel they may need to change their game a bit in order to stop them from going stale and becoming predictable and a useful book ,giving the insight into a poker genius' mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars I hate Gus Hansen!, 17 July 2008
Rakesh (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Every Hand Revealed (Paperback)
He makes it look so easy. Do yourself a favor. Don't read his moves and go out and start immediately playing any 2 cards as you'll lose loads!

You'll understand the methods to his "madness" proving that Gus is a very canny player indeed.

This is a great read, witty and informative. I found myself laughing out loud at some of gus's commentary at his own thought processes. Amazing to read exactly what his thinking whilst playing hands, almost puts you right there.

5.0 out of 5 stars my most enjoyable poker book ever., 27 Dec 2013
This review is from: Every Hand Revealed (Paperback)
Gus Hansen is not the best poker player in the world ( although he seams to play in the biggest games). He is very aggressive, and its not mindless aggression, he is defiantly a thinking player. In this book he lays out his thinking concisely and the narrative is nothing short of brilliant. Honestly a really great read and i think all poker tournament players will take something from this book. Ive read it twice and i will defiantly be reading it again. In fact after every big tourney win Gus should write another book.
I just think hes game suits large fields of inexperienced players and he should stay away from super high rollers and massive cash games. If I was as good as Gus i wouldn't be seeking out the few players in the world better then me lol

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy going, 6 Dec 2013
This review is from: Every Hand Revealed (Paperback)
Very easy style, and it will help your game. You really get the feel for what Gus is thinking as he plays the hands. It is evident that he had some luck in this event, but he also makes his own. When things go wrong, you get to see how he deals with it, because there are no missing hands from the story. Good idea presenting poker this way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Insight into the Great Dane, 24 Sep 2013
First and foremost I have to say that this review is for the Kindle version of this book. With that out of the way I can now that this book is a must read for any No Limit Poker player.

The book provides insight into every hand that Gus played in the 2007 Aussie Millions tournament (Hands folded before any money went in the pot are not included).

The information supplied for each hand is well written and even funny on some occasions, Gus provides great detail on who he is playing why he played the hand as he did and if he believes that he played the hand well or not. It is a seriously fascinating look at a player who has a reputation for being extremely loose and fool hardy when in reality he thinks "nearly" (one hand stands out where he forgot the suit of his hole cards) every hand through in meticulous detail.

I have gave this book 5 stars because I found it to be an awesome read and a very interesting insight to a single player in a massive high stakes multi-table tournament... However the kindle version of this book doesn't always display the tables or diagrams in a very readable manor and I would seriously recommend that any potential purchasers buy a hard copy of this book and not the kindle version.

I have since purchased the hard copy of this book as well and the kindle version and the book is far superior!

In Summary

Rating for the book - 5 stars (and I would give it more if I could).

Rating for the Kindle version of the book - 3 stars (at best due to display issues)

5.0 out of 5 stars Poker ok, 10 July 2013
This review is from: Every Hand Revealed (Paperback)
This is an excellent read and it has kept me quiet for a while now great reference point or any budding poker player must recommend

Every Hand Revealed
Every Hand Revealed by Gus Hansen (Paperback - 30 April 2009)
8.39