5.0 out of 5 stars Essential for prospective freelance photographers.
I'm just setting out as a freelancer and pre-ordered this book, as I thought it might be useful. I had no idea just how useful it would be. It has excellent advice concerning the aspects of running a photography business, that us creative people might not necessarily think of! ;o)

Published on 11 July 2009 by Mike Le Gray

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what it should be
Published on 11 Dec. 2010 by G. PICHEL-JUAN

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential for prospective freelance photographers., 11 July 2009
This review is from: Photographer's Survival Guide, The (Paperback)

On top of that, there are some incredibly useful insights from photographers, buyers, etc., that really help to make this book required reading.

Oh and the CD-ROM with all the business form templates is pretty useful, too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid Marketing book for professionals, 25 July 2011
P. McHugh (Ireland) - See all my reviews
[[ASIN:0817476776 Photographer's Survival Guide, The
I was planning a marketing campaign as I am a fashion photographer, I have done them before but decided to approach it with a more serious perspective. I spotted mention of the "photographers survival guide" on a Linkedin post. Bought it here and read it in a few days. It is a good book. Some posts I read refer to the fact that it is written for US based hi-end advertising photographers, which it is as the author makes her money consulting in that field. However I am based in Europe and the information has the same relevance here. If you are a wedding, or 'high street' studio the marketing principles are the same so it is well worth a read. I actually had much of the information already in my head, but the book adds more focus and presents the marketing, branding and presentation issues in a very cohesive way. Well worth the price.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what it should be, 11 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Photographer's Survival Guide, The (Paperback)
For me this book is nearly useless, I am an ammeter photographer that looking to start building a business out of my hobby. The book is easy to read and understand but dose not going into much detail on anything, anyone that masters the complexity of photography should be able to read a more complex book without any problems, the extra information would have been useful. It missed out important things like copy right and licensing also legal requirements for running a busness and working with other people.

My main complaint about the book is that it presumes that you will be doing editorial or corporate work. That is not the only type of photography and they seem to forget about event, stock, art and portraits commissioned by individuals. Things are done differently is some of fields and it not even mentioned.

Secondly the CD with forms is a bit of a joke, the good things is that they are done in work or excel and also PDF format. The CD was burned so you can add files on to it; I guess they thought you might need to. A lot of the forms could be made in a few minutes and quite a few only have limited uses. Others like the Release for make the assumption that are not always true and it is easier to totally write my own or modify one of the far better ones I can find on the web.

Photographer's Survival Guide, The
Photographer's Survival Guide, The by Suzanne Sease (Paperback - 7 Jun. 2009)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available