on 26 August 1999
John Shaw shines in this book. The information is not only helpful, but to the point and direct. Shaw explains everything in detail, but only enough as needed. Truly exceptional book!! It is a must have guide to anyone who wants to delve into the macro photography field. I have been focusing on macro for the last year now. I just recently read the book and it helped me unbelievably. From what tripod to use to what filters (if any), to how to compose that great shot. It is a wonderful book!!
on 24 August 2000
I have several of John Shaw's books. They are all great, and this is one of the best. He explains the variety of ways you can take macro and close-up photographs and the advantages and disadvantages of each one. The only (minor) criticism is that he doesn't really discuss multiple-flash techniques for close-up work (EOS users can refer to the Canon Macro book for advice on that). But the rest of the book is so good that I would still award it five stars. If you are interested in taking close-up/macro photographs of nature subjects then you CANNOT afford not to read it.
on 19 August 1999
This is one of the finest books on natural history photography available and it deserves to be on everyone's bookshelf. It does tend to fall apart after a few years (I'm on my third copy!), due to the absolutely atrocious binding (I think it's held together with toothpaste and bogies). I think it is my annoyance with the binding that has stopped me giving it 5 crowns. But if you want to learn how to take excellent natural history photographs without using a megaton of flash guns then this is the book you need to get started
on 26 February 2004
All I can do is agree with all the other reviews. The book is well written, easy to read and informative. The thing that I really like is that it actually talks about the technical side of photography: the science behind exposure. Yes, it does talk about the equipment (some of which is a little out dated), but this is not a bad thing. A lot of the time Shaw talks about using the manual settings on your camera and this is the best thing about the book! With everything being automatic on modern cameras it can be quite hard to get the basic knowledge you need about photography, and this is why I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in photography. Oh yes, and it is a great macro photography book too!
on 18 September 1996
I have attended workshops taught by John Shaw, sitting on the
side of a flower covered mountain, listening to John discuss
macro technique. This book caries all of the character and
clarity of being there listening to him in person. John Shaw's
work is undoubtedly some of the best nature closeup work
around and this book gives you all his tricks. The photographs
in the book are excellent technically and provide wonderfull
examples for the techniques explained in the book.

I highly recommend this book to anyone looking for a complete
overview of different macro techniques and/or detailed
instruction on any of these techniques. He gives you all the
options for macro technique without spending major dollars on
unneeded equipment.
on 7 June 1999
John Shaw's books are wonderful! Our local library has a wonderful collection of them. After a hiatus in photography of many years, I have jumped back in with both feet. I have found John Shaw's books amazingly helpful! We don't have many scenic landscapes, in this part of the nation :( so I have been focusing on closeup photography. I must say, that John's writing in "Closeups in Nature" has enabled me to produce some great images. I keep rereading the text and captions and continue to learn from them. I really appreciate this book, as well as his newer ones. Thanks, John!
on 20 February 1997
John Shaw does an excellent job of taking the mystery out of the macro process. His photos are an inspiration and I have already had success with some of his suggestions. The book is worth the price just for his tips on how to calibrate your camera meter.

The binding on the book is very poor and has started to fall apart with limited use. The book will be used as a reference and I'm afraid that I will have to put it in a three ring binder. Mr Shaw should find a publisher that produce a product that will match his excellent content.
on 10 April 1999
I picked this book up by chance just two weeks after buying a 35mm camera. All of the explanations are execellent and do a good job of bridging the gap between a beginner and a more advanced user. He does a good job of describing some of the specialized techniques; including camera tubes, extensions, and bellows. Definetely recommended. I also learned alot about non-macro photography. As a bonus the pictures are outstanding.
on 23 February 1999
An excellent book , full of useful information on all aspects of close-up photography, let down by the VERY poor binding that comes apart after very limited use. I've noticed some mistakes in the f-stops, shutter speeds and magnification rates quoted in some examples. These errors are insignificant as they are not misleading in anyway.
on 29 October 1998
Anyone who would like to learn closeup photography should own this book. Very easy to understand and covers everything you need to know.