on 12 November 2011
I certainly picked up a few pointers from this book which will have a major impact on the way I use my camera, so in that regard the book is very good.

However the total obsession with manual modes for everything and the constant repeating the same underlying principles becomes grating after a while; you can understand the principles and how aperture, shutter and speed inter-relate without resorting to manual models for everything. I use a calculator sometimes but I can still count.

I tried some of his techniques with my DSLR camera and dedicated flash (not pop-up) using both manual and semi-automatic modes like aperture priority and there was very little to chose between them except the time it took. Isolating the object from its background - aperture priority, camera exposure compensation -3, ttl flash compensation +3 works just as well with my set-up in many situations as measuring the distance, setting the aperture, metering, checking the flash guide number,.........
on 11 November 2011
Hate to disagree but this is nowhere near the standard of "Learning to see creatively",the only other book I have by Bryan Peterson, on the strength of which I bought this one. A mistake, I am afraid! He takes a whole book, using indifferent examples, to expain that on- and off-camera flash gun exposure is determined by aperture, while ambient light exposure is controlled by shutter speed. That's it! No exploration of studio flash, flash metering, ring flash for portraiture or macro, reflectors, soft-boxes, etc. Just how to use a Speedlight. A great disappointment and, for me, a waste of time. OK for neophytes I suppose.
on 13 April 2015
Very usefull book for faslh photography beginners. Easy to understand, I like Bryan Peterson stile. He is excelent photography instructros and he's books about photography helped me to understand a lot of photography things, not even flash:)
on 31 March 2015
This is the third of Bryan Peterson's books I have bought- the 1st 'Exposure' and then 'Composition' and this book again has been excellent. As new to dslr photography as I am, I find his books very easy to read and understand and I am now able to use the manual setting and feel that I actually have an idea of what I should be doing to get correct in-camera exposure and also how to make adjustments when things don't turn out exactly how I want them. I think the reason his books work are that they give the fundamental explanations of how the different parameters interact and if you get to grips with those it is much easier to understand how to apply them to your photography.
on 23 October 2012
As usual with Bryan Peterson the book is well written with lots of clear examples. I am relatively new to using off camera flash and if I am honest my pictures to date have really been hit or miss. Having read the book and worked through some examples in the book I am now getting more hits than misses. Overall it has increased my confidence in using flash. In addition, Bryan refers to the flash as a "miniature sun." Thinking of the flash in this way has opened my mind to many more possibilities than I had first imagined. No problem in highly recommending this book to anyone new to flash photography.
on 15 July 2012
I got the book because I wanted to understand flash photography! Well I have to say reading the first few pages I thought it was a load of rubbish and just a "see how good the author is" book but about a third of the way into it I was hooked and learnt loads. What Bryan does in this book is keep telling you the same three things over and over again until it finally sinks in. Believe me this is a good read and it will improve your flash photography by making you understand what it is you are doing.
The perfect book would be one that Bryan writes as a workshop so we can follow simple setups etc.
on 7 April 2013
Bryan Peterson has an easy style which means that this book can used for bedtime reading or as a technical manual. It follows the same approach as his "Understanding Exposure". Professionals and very keen amateurs will not like it as it is probably too basic, but for people keen to learn it is perfect. He introduces fundamental points which must be understood to master a technique; then 20 pages later he goes over it again and 20 more pages later yet again. It could be irritating but it isn't and it shows how the same technique can apply to very different shooting scenarios.
on 8 October 2011
The book is as good as Bryan's other books, targeted at amateurs who want to learn more and improve. It covers the subject very well, giving information and hints.
It is enlightening in some aspects and gives good explanation on flash photography, features and specifications of electronic flash, as well as how to use flash in manual mode.
on 10 January 2012
If you love photography and are a little bit scared of flashguns/ speedlights and there mounds of buttons/ modes and intelligent technology then this is the book for you. As the next in line of the series of books the author makes the important aspects of photography easy to understand. Buy this book, make time to read it and practise and you will I guarantee feel 100% feel confident using your flash on or off camera in any situation. This sounds like marketing talk but I honestly cannot praise this book enough. A must for every photographers bookshelf.
on 6 April 2013
For so many years my quite expensive flash unit has stayed in my camera bag unused because whenever I did try it I hated the results. No more. After reading this book I am determined to master my flash and exploit the creativity that it can support. I also have Bryan Peterson's book 'Understanding Exposure' and this book, like that one, is written in straightforward language with clear, easy to understand, explanations. After only a few pages I was amazed at how simple it all seemed and why it had taken me so long to 'get' flash.