5.0 out of 5 stars Understanding Fash
Published on 12 Oct 2011 by Pat Dennehy

3.0 out of 5 stars A little dissapointed
I've read 3 of Bryans books prior to this and enjoyed them all. This one though was not so good.
As said before, there is a lot of repetition which gets a bit boring after a while.

Published 18 months ago by Mr Elliott J Coleman

5.0 out of 5 stars Understanding Fash, 12 Oct 2011
Pat Dennehy - See all my reviews
This review is from: Understanding Flash Photography: How to Shoot Great Photographs Using Electronic Flash and Other Artificial Light Sources (Paperback)
An excellent publication.Easy to read and more importantly easy to understand. When one reads this and puts his suggestions into practice the results are immediate.It is a brilliant practical guide which is free from technical jargon and takes the reader on a step by step course to a better understanding of the subject which leads ultimately to better photographs.A must have for any library.

4.0 out of 5 stars Understanding Flash Photography by Bryan Peterson, 13 Dec 2011
As an amateur photographer I enjoyed 'Understanding Flash Photography' and found it very informative. This book (covers very briefly and) continues forward from his simple concepts/ explanations from his book `Understanding Exposure', (a book that I would recommend for people who are new to photography.)

Bryan explains when to use Flash, how to use flash in camera TTL and manual mode, guide numbers, the Slow Sync flash, fill light, Bounce flash, Rear-Curtain Sync etc (the common modes that are found with flash). There are a lot of pictures to illustrate the `issues' involved.

The book is very good and is geared to DSLR camera beginners in flash and intermediate users but not advanced users e.g. he does not go into depth about off-camera flash and positioning and multiple flash units / studio setups or macro flash.

5.0 out of 5 stars The FIRST book you should read on flash, 18 Aug 2012
I've owned an SB900 for a year or so but I've struggled to do anything effectively with it. I was reading Joe Mcnallys books and videos on kelby training - which are great but I always felt I was missing something. I was, there's a whole load of fundamentals about flash I was missing and Bryan in his great teaching style covers them fantastically in this book. It's one of those books that I felt sad had to end. But it's really brought me up a level with the basics of flash and got me shooting proper flash pictures. I also think when I go back to the Joe McNally resources I'll get a lot more out of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great help for amateur photographers, 8 Oct 2011
Alexandros Bagkos "abagos" (Athens, Attiki Greece) - See all my reviews
The book is as good as Bryan's other books, targeted at amateurs who want to learn more and improve. It covers the subject very well, giving information and hints.
It is enlightening in some aspects and gives good explanation on flash photography, features and specifications of electronic flash, as well as how to use flash in manual mode.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another good book by Bryan Peterson, 22 Nov 2011
A. J. Wood (bristol uk) - See all my reviews
Great book. Within 30 minutes I had learned how to use my electronic portable flash. This is something that the Nikon manual patently failed to do. In fact Nikon should read this book and take notes. It isn't that hard to explain clearly how to use a flash. I see that now. But I needed this book to help me. Bryan does a good job of explaining and comes up with some nice special techniques to help you get more out of your flash unit. Clear, well illustrated and enjoyable.

3.0 out of 5 stars A little dissapointed, 26 Jan 2013

It should also be made clear that Canon Speedlite users can not put into practice what Bryan shows as you are not able to set ISO and f-stops in manual mode on a Canon speedlite. So without a printed distance guide or calculator to hand you're stuck really. Had this have been made clear from the outset, I would not have purchased this book.

Sadly now I have to purchase another book which will cover other areas of Speedlites such as ETTL-II

5.0 out of 5 stars Of course, Bryan Peterson so, excellent!, 16 Jan 2013
I had no idea about flash but I bought a sb 700 anyway, thinking that one day I might be able to use it. I am still reading Bryan 's book and even if that day didn't come yet, I am a lot closer to it, I hope. The brilliant thing about the kindle version is that I can make notes and if I am in a situation when I can't figure something out, Bryan " comes out of my pocket " and tells me how to do it( I've got the kindle app on my iPhone as well). Just like in the. Field guide to understanding photography, everything is very nicely explained to you, with examples and different scenarios, all in all, a fantastic book that I couldn't recommend enough if you are , like me , at the beginning of this wonderful road.

5.0 out of 5 stars A highly recommended book, 11 Jun 2012
I discovered Bryan Peterson from the videos he makes for Adorama TV. In all of the videos he demonstrates how to achieve good results in ordinary situations without resorting to expensive layouts such as a professional studio. In this book he takes just the same approach. The book works through a whole variety of scenarios where he uses flash to obtain some great photographs. In each case he tells you all the camera and flash settings he used and also tells you exactly why he chose those settings. In the vast majority of cases he uses just one flash gun although on a few occasions he uses a second flash.

In each case he shows a smaller photo taken without the benefit of flash and a larger image showing the improved picture taken with flash. There are also many photos showing the actual set up that he used.

The book is really easy to read and understand and has taught me more about flash photography than I ever knew before. Previously, I've always used flash in full automatic mode and have never been really happy with the results. Thanks to Bryan Peterson I now know better. A highly recommended book.

5.0 out of 5 stars theaspiringphotographer, 22 Sep 2011
A. M. Taylor "Mostin" (Northampton, England) - See all my reviews
I must declare an interest first. I am a Bryan Peterson fan through and through. I have all of his books so far. For me his USP is the straight forward and pragmatic nature of his advice. He has a knack of making seemingly complex issues easy to understand and a breeze to remember. I think each book I have read contains at least one "Eureka" moment.

For me the Eureka moment came early on in this book. I have been struggling with flash exposures for ages leading me to avoid low light situations like the plague. Not anymore! Once Bryan has lifted the scales from your eyes you will positively be looking for those low light / fill situations.

A comprehensive and easy to follow book which is a must for anyone with an external flash gun or two. Don't hessitate to buy this book or any of his other books. He just can't write them fast enough for me!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 14 Mar 2013
A very well written and illustrated book with easy to understand instructions. Once you have read it any fear of using flash should disappear.