5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring
Published on 20 Jan 2010 by Lee Chappelow

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite basic
There are some good tips in this book and if you're starting out in macro / close up photography, it may be worth reading...however, it is a basic guide and spends a lot of time suggesting equipment more than showing your photography...
Published on 18 Jun 2011 by James Mousley

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, 20 Jan 2010
Lee Chappelow (York, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Understanding Close-Up Photography: Creative Close Encounters with or Without a Macro Lens (Paperback)
I have been reading a lot of photography books recently, and this is definitely one of the most enjoyable and inspiring. I'm a newcomer to macro/close-up photography and I think this book was ideally suited. Not too long winded, it quickly and efficiently reels off the tips in a fairly informal style. This is backed up by what I considered to be very inspiring, modern, example photographs.

The only problem is it has made me want to spend a fortune on a dedicated macro lens! That said, however, the book also explores the less expensive routes into close-up photography such as extension tubes and point-and-shoot cameras. This is all very eye-opening advise for the beginner and not the 'what equipment to use' padding that often artificially bulks out photography/Photoshop books.

This is the first Peterson book I have read and I can see now why some of his older books have been top sellers.

5.0 out of 5 stars All you want to know!, 27 Dec 2009
H. Fick - See all my reviews
What a surprisingly great book! I have been into photography for 20 years plus and the macro-bug has always been lurking in the corner. I decided to add a Nikon 105mm Micro lens to my collection of lenses, some reverse fit adapters for my 50mm F1.8 Nikon lens and off I went. Since I have a good understanding of photography basics, I started off and all went well and as expected.

I got this book for some extra ideas. What a brilliant idea this was. The author takes you through all the basics (good for the newbie and good for brushing up on some points), BUT the best about this book is all the ideas and examples. You are taken into another world and a new way of thinking! You get the most amazing ideas and things you will NEVER think of photographing.

Absolutely worth every penny!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book, 29 May 2009
Alan K. Whyte "Saxmancat" (Edinburgh,UK) - See all my reviews
This book is a fantastic book for anyone wanting to get into closeup and macro photography, the author lays out the subject in a very concise and not over technical format. The material is well written and the images that go with the book are visually and technically stunning. It is nice to see a photography book that includes the options to get into closeup/macro on a low budget. This book I would reccomend highly to those just getting into the subject or for people that think the only macro/closeup things they can take are flowers and insects.

5.0 out of 5 stars VERY INTERESTING, 29 Oct 2010
I`ve just bought my first Digital SLR camera and Macro lens. I bought this book because of my interest in close-up photography and how different everything seems when its really close.
I found this book very interesting and easy to read. The pictures are great too and the author explains how the picture was taken.
I`m now trying to copy what he has been doing!
Mind you, the author has been doing it for 30 years, so I have a long way to go.
For me, its a book I will be referring to in the future, so its not a one-off read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting & pleasure to read, 23 Feb 2011
The author manages very well to explain the concepts behind close-up photography, as well as the equipment options and how to use accessories to the greatest benefit - on their own or in combination. Of more interest probably to beginners rather than advanced photographers, but very well suited for this purpose.

And it's extremely inspiring too; I've been eager to try out all of the suggestions and am no longer wondering why my own close-up shots aren't so exciting, because it's pretty clear to me now that I've read the book...

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoy, 10 Aug 2010
I recently bought a few photography (macro) books. This one really stands out. The author has a very enjoyable way of writing. Every picture is well documented.
As a matter of fact I am, at this very moment, selecting other books from this author for my wish list.

5.0 out of 5 stars Understanding close up photography, 24 Feb 2011
A. Cardy (N Ireland) - See all my reviews
I got this book after reading a section on macro work in a magazine, as I wanted to learn more about it.
It's extremely informative with pictures. It's broken down into understandable paragraphs and I'm sure learning what I wanted to know! It's brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars well recommended!, 17 Feb 2011
I would really recommend this book a must have for anyone with an interest in Macro or Close-Up photography.

It is clearly set out and deals with a lot of the aspects associated with close-up photography such as depth of field, aperture, exposure etc. Stressing that to make close-up pictures you do not always have to use a Macro lens and suggesting alternatives. I have actually got a macro lens and love it but as the author says I have also taken very close-up photos with my other lenses and had excellent results.

Good advice and a lot of different ideas for a shoot complete with lovely images to explain the text.

Glad I bought it as it is an excellent book to dip in and out of, no way have I read it all yet!

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing New, 18 July 2012
I have been an avid photographer for many years and decided to learn about close up photography, rather than just picking it up as I went along. I knew most of the equipment available but wanted a detailed review of what to use and when, with tips on how.

This book did not do this for me, rather it gave an outline of equipment and a brief introduction together with some pictures.

Perhaps I needed a more reference type of book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite basic, 18 Jun 2011
James Mousley (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›