Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 January 2013
I've been following Joey's work for many years and in all honesty, watching one of his videos gave me the hunger to get involved in photography in the first place. His use of light, and his obvious passion is great. I have now been in business in my studio for two years, and like keeping up to date with his work. When I saw he'd written a book, it was a must buy for me.

Clear, easy to understand and of course...fantastic imagery. Nice one Mr. L!
on 28 April 2013
Ok there's some nice bts more on concept than technical setups, which I really like.
Joey is an incredible photog of course and it's nice to see the thought process but it does become a little self absorbed which is perhaps a reflection of the fast paced job to job commercial shoot demands that I'm sure he lives by. I guess once you have read anything by Joe McNally you realise nobody writes photography quite like him, technical, conceptual, witty and with an intuitive understanding of humanity.....of course Joey will have some amazing stories to tell when he grows up too:)
on 7 April 2013
If you only buy one book on photography, this is the one you should buy. The author is an outstanding and exceptionally talented photographer with a unique and innovative style and the quality of the accompanying text is equal to the standard of the photographs. No words are wasted and the book is captivating from beginning to end.
on 17 March 2014
I believe this book was written for beginners in portrait photography describing how to use light and shadow techniques. Beginners will benefit from this book the most.

On the other hand experienced photographer can find inspiration here as well.

It was a good reading. Thank you.
on 20 December 2013
Useful insight into the techniques of his photography explaining his lighting setups and camera settings, all supplemented with diagrams too. Making great use of shadows is a style of photography I like very much and so was very interested in checking out Joey's interpretation of the same subject.

Joey reveals his philosophy and approach to photography which is the foundation of 'why' he does what he does and I, personally found this very useful in thinking through my own photography asking 'why' I want to take the pictures I like. Although Joey is young and unashamed about his talent his confidence in his ability to bring something creative to any setup he's working on and is quite candid in sharing not only his strengths and skills, but how he expands on the skills of others in forming his own images.

I'd definitely recommend this book to any experienced photographers looking for fresh inspiration to their own photography and to anyone new for simple yet effective technical advice for taking great portraits outside.
on 15 January 2013
Although Joey is a young guy, his photo's show a level of craftsmanship that is surprising. The pictures are stunning, the explanation of how and why he made them is very good and easy to understand. He shows that photography is not about the technical stuff, but about people. A must read for every photographer who wants to learn from the best.
on 8 January 2013
I bought this book mainly on the recommendation of one of the English speaking world's most well known bloggers.

The photographer/author in question is an awesome photographer and ridiculously young considering how much he has achieved (if my memory serves me correctly he is only 22 or so with agents on two continents representing him and he's been shooting for high end clients since his teens). Having watched video footage of this guy at work, and read an interview or two, and having been warned that the book is more inspirational than educational, I bought the book.

There are some bits, in fact lots of, info on how certain shots were acheived but I consider it a book more for picking up a few tips and gaining inspiration from.

This kid is one to watch for the future, he is a seriously awesomoe image maker
on 13 March 2014
Great images. I like how the author gives the lighting set ups used. As an amateur like me I look forward to trying to replicate some of them.
on 5 September 2013
Interesting book.
Learnt a little and will try a few ideas in there.
Some tips basic,and a few you could develop more
on 20 July 2014
I bought this book as I was off to Varanasi with my camera, and absolutely loved Joey's shots there. The book gives some good advice, I would have maybe liked a little more advice, but it did help me capture some wonderful images over in India.