Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 March 1998
At the very least, I give credit to Maitland McDonagh for viewing films that I've not bothered to see in an attempt to understand Argento in relationship to other film-makers. But she also helps explain why Argento should be considered important, which is how it should be. Probably the most praiseworthy statement I can make is that before finishing her book, I went to my favorite video store and rented the uncut version of "Terror at the Opera", and will probably rent the Argento produced "The Church" soon. I also felt like I wanted to know more about the history of Italian horror films from Mario Bava to the present ("Black Sunday" is a favorite film). Also, I wish there were biographical material concerning Argento's parents, their influence, directly and indirectly; as well as more biographical material that may explain other narrative or visual aspects to the films. One proof error: Larry Cohen's film is "Q", not "O". And if you're reading this Maitland, Ric Menello was the one who introduced me to Argento. One final note, there is a cool web site that features a snippet of music by the band "Goblin".
on 2 March 1999
McDonagh provides an excellent introduction to Argento's films. I found it very helpful in writing my book on the Poe cinema. Her critiques are insightul and on the mark.