Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 March 2011
This book is a classic, I've loved it ever since i first read it several years ago. Tuan has a very gentle and engaging way of explaining how we perceive space and place and the importance of experience in our understanding of the places we move through. It's a great read not only for academics but for anyone who is interested in how we place ourselves in the world.
on 3 August 2015
Accessible information written in great style. One of those books which in theory should be a "dip in read" but was actually "addictive", can't put it down!
Now a source to return to again and again.
on 22 November 2013
Tuan does well to break down the many elements constituting our relationship to the world around us. I'm making a study on the human relationship to place, in particular the home. This book resonated well with what I hoped to read and raised some key points which have greatly developed my understanding of place.
on 15 March 2016
Good book but a little bit outdated. Time passed since the 1970's and perception of Space an Place changed in a way that does not always confirm the analyses of Yi-Fu Tuan. At the same time, it remains a must-read because so many people refer to it without knowing what is written inside... : Very good concepts but sometimes not very well used by Tuan himself.
Personally, it does get on my nerves when Yi-Fu Tuan repeatedly notices a difference between "animals" and humans. It is not pertinent enough I think. It almost feels like humans would have a superiority.
I also disagree when Yi-Fu Tuan says that "Wilderness" is only a "space" and not yet a "place". On the contrary, "Wilderness" is one of the most meaningful "places" in the Anglo-saxon World !
on 14 March 2015
Excellent writing. My suggestion is to recommend this to those first year postgraduate candidates in an architectural/urban program.
on 3 December 2015
Together with Basso and Brody, this trio are invaluable to Anthropology
on 2 April 2016
perfect
on 11 November 2012
Very nice. A very good book to read, inspire me and my friend a lot. I will recommend to friends.
on 10 February 2015