Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 January 2010
While this book has a lot of useful information on wolves and is a good introduction, the author himself has since expanded his knowledge and now disagrees with some of his earlier findings. In particular, the whole issue of 'alpha wolves' and dominance, which has led to so a lot of misguided and even cruel training for the domestic dog, is now disputed. Mech is still a world authority on wolves but make sure that when reading this book, you also take note of his more up to date research. This is a good book but be careful, the research is on-going and this is not the last word.
on 19 October 1998
This is a lot more engaging and friendly than you might expect - written after Mech had completed his first big study of the wolf, he aimed this book at both the scientific community and the interested reader. Mech has written an updated preface too.
on 2 April 2007
I read an older version of this book when I was studying at college. It's a really good book (I'm sure the more recent one will have more upto date information than the one I read.) Mech really gives you an insight in to the life of wolves and why they should be protected in their natural habitat.
on 2 May 2013
Having spent the past year studying wolves for my dissertation I needed a book that would provide the background for my studies. Mech is the go-to guy for wolves, and although this isn't a new book, the information in it is still valid and put forward in a way that anyone can understand, and apply it to their needs, be that an interest in wolves in general, animal behaviour or as a wolf biologist. Combined with Mech & Boitani's 2003 book this has pretty much every thing I needed!
on 14 May 2013
It is very science based & dated. It was a real eye opener as to what people used to do in the name of science & was it was hard to reconcile myself with some of the things that the scientists did. Removing a litter of wolf puppies would not be deemed good practice these days.
on 6 February 2014
Very Informative and very detailed book; great for helping me with my studies. All in all a really good buy and I am pleased I bought this book
on 17 September 2013
There is not a great deal written about these beautiful creatures but this book is one of the best. I loved it.
on 18 December 2013
I can't say a lot about this book just yet, but it looks good, and is small enough to carry.
on 18 December 2015
authoritative, thorough pretty comprehensive study