on 25 March 2004
Having ordered the book based on the information on Amazon's (very brief) synopsis and the only other customer review I was disappointed to discover on receipt that the book is entirely American:written by Americans, based on American studies and ultimately about what couples needing IVF can expect...in the USA.
As such, I found it of limited use in explaining to me what I could expect when going through IVF in Britain, which was really the main reason I bought it. Of course, the sections dealing with the reproductive system, the causes of infertility, possible tests, and the actual mechanics of the IVF process would apply to everyone, and in this sense the book is useful to anyone. But From a British point of view there are some areas that will not shed light on what those in Britain can expect. For example: Chapter 4 "preparation for treatment" deals with "acceptance onto an IVF program" "organization of a typical IVF program" and deciding on "how many eggs should be fertilized" none of which will help the British reader, especially those who are having NHS treatment and therefore have very limited choices anyway.
On the other hand, the book is very detailed and clearly written, although at some points I felt like I was reading a book written more for people working in the profession than for a patient...maybe a little TOO technical at times. The actual procedures involved in IVF such as drug treatment, egg retrieval,and embryo transfer etc.,are very well explained, and the chapter covering realistic expectations of IVF, which deals with chances of success, the emotional costs and attitudes to failiure is very useful for everyone.
To sum up, for anyone wanting to know what to know about the mechanics of IVF and fertlity investigations in general, it is a useful book. But in terms of choosing clinics, what appointments & consultations to expect and how many, how much treatment and what choices are available, readers living outside the USA may find that they are reading advice that leaves them wondering if this does or doesn't happen in their own country.
Although it is an excellently written book, I was left feeling disappointed that the Amazon synopsis not taken the trouble to mention that it based on American procedures. In a book such as this that sort of information is important,and I would probably not have bought the book had I realised this.
on 7 February 1999
This book provides individuals undergoing any type of assisted reproduction with a guide to help them in decision making by thoroughly informing them at their own pace. Now entering our second cycle of in vitro fertilization, I find myself reading certain chapters in the book for the third and fourth time. Each experience is different. Although a patient must rely heavily on the expertise of their physician, reproduction in this manner is an incredibly complex occurrence, creating many questions that this book accurately answers. I've come to depend on it greatly and find that it has become almost a constant sight on my reading table. I have found that much of the writing that has been done about in vitro fetilization was done so for the physician and clinician as the reader. This is a thorough, as well as current, explanation of what a patient can expect, and should look for when entering a program for assisted reproduction. - Kristie Greiss