5.0 out of 5 stars The must have "IT" This is a completely amazing biography, 20 May 2005
Andrea Bowhill (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Clara Bow: Runnin' Wild (Paperback)
I had no idea who Clara Bow was, I had already read the equally great Jean Harlow biography also by David Stenn, so ordered the Clara Bow one along side it. So for me not being a fan to start with, I was reading about a star I didn't know from scratch.

What a read, I was buried in the book, believe me Clara Bow had "IT" and David Stenn captured this hollywood Star beautifully. The research done for this book is clear to see, great care has been taken to sift through the facts, sorting out the scandal and rumours which spun itself out of control. The great little attributes to this book are the written lines as to how the star would sound if you enter into a conversation with Clara Bow herself. (Old New York, New York Slang)

Looking for a page turner you got "IT" Clara Bow had her own fair share of naughtiness, but the fact is you just can't help liking her for it. Clara Bow was a stronger person than she ever believed. I am amazed by her staying power once a crisis a day had hit. The sympathy you feel for this women is overpowering.

"A life no it ain't" but she knew what needed to be done to survive it. A star, Clara Bow certainly was.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a tragic but sometimes touching life, 1 Sep 2001
This review is from: Clara Bow: Runnin' Wild (Paperback)
If you are fascinated with the Hollywood actors and actresses of times gone by, then you'll love this book. I read it in 1 day as I could not put it down. She had an awful upbringing and although her exploits were frowned upon, you can sympathize and understand her more as you read into her childhood. She overcame alot but was shunned by the powerheads of the movies. Considering how popular she was and how much money she made for the movie studios, her treatment is shameful. Enjoyed every minute of this book but came away feeling so sad for her. This book has everything -comedy, tragedy and romance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally Absorbing, 30 Oct 2012
This review is from: Clara Bow: Runnin' Wild (Paperback)
Although I had heard the usual sensationalized stories of Clara Bow, I knew little about her life or her career. I am so pleased I read this book. I found it totally absorbing, though tinged with sadness. You have to admire the lady, becoming so successful despite such a harsh upbringing. I thought the author penned a sympathetic, unjudgemental portrait of the lady and helped the reader understand how her experiences had moulded her. The book provided a wealth of written imagery, making you feel that you were actually there on many occasions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should read this book!, 14 Aug 2001
Mrs. M. Morgan (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Clara Bow: Runnin' Wild (Paperback)
I have said on many occasions that this is my all-time favourite book. I originally bought David Stenn's Jean Harlow book, and after being thoroughly impressed by it, I decided to buy the Clara Bow book too. Clara Bow was a very famous actress in the 1920s - in fact you could probably say she was the 1920s version of Madonna. She was never far from controversy, but David Stenn shows that underneith it all, Clara was a sweet and often wounded young woman, who fought hard to overcome her demons.
This book is definitely worth buying. Clara Bow was a legend and after reading this book, it is easy to see why.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stenn captures IT perfectly., 24 Feb 2009
Mark Cheshire (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Clara Bow: Runnin' Wild (Paperback)
The tragic and touching story of a great actress told lovingly by an author who clearly knows how to get inside both the myths and reality of his subject. Best of all, it can be read by anyone with the minimum amount of knowledge of who Clara Bow was.It works particularly well as an expose of those people who she loved but nonetheless exploited her for their advantage, particularly her father, and the ruthless Paramount studio which saw fit to manipulate her at their whim. One of the most interesting conundrums raised by this book is how we might remember Clara Bow today had Paramount invested more time in her transition to talkies. If it ever does become less than readable it is perhaps when going through the grim figures used in court in Clara's appearences, but that's being pedantic; the story unfolds much like a novel - putting it down becomes very difficult. The more I read and was touched by the subject's trials and tribulations (and what all too brief joys she had on the way)the more inclined I was to see where life took her next. This book is very much It - just like Clara.

5.0 out of 5 stars fascinating read...., 8 Jun 2008
D. Nixon (Durham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Clara Bow: Runnin' Wild (Paperback)
i would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in the silent film era. David Stenn in my opinion, has really given full justice to his subject.
Don't overlook this title buy it today.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 26 Sep 2013
This review is from: Clara Bow: Runnin' Wild (Paperback)
I had heard of Clara Bow but never seen any of her films,still haven't,but the book was great.Its a wonderful look into a lost world and very easy to read and I enjoyed it very much.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant book, 16 Aug 2013
I love the flapper era and the silent movies so have found this a totally absorbing read. Clara Bows life was a real rags to riches story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clara Bow, my new personal hero, 7 Aug 2013
MISS KEWISH (uk) - See all my reviews
A very well written book for a forgotten starlett. I had briefly heard of Clara Bow as a child but decided it was time that I looking into her life and what a life it was. I'm about 50% through on my Kindle and am finding it ver entertaining indeed.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Girl Behind the Screen, 7 Feb 2013
This review is from: Clara Bow: Runnin' Wild (Paperback)
The sources may not be impeccable and perhaps too much credence given to the subject's memories, but it's a good account of a talented and exploited woman. I learnt so much about her from this book. David Stein really catches the brightness of her raw talent and sadness of her later days. Lots of photographs as well.
Despite no formal training she brought magic to film and made a transition to talkies better than many others. Her personal life was a mess and inattention to bad publicity led to a reputation for debauchery that was simply untrue. Sure, she had a number of relationships, but nothing that would raise eyebrows today. When she left film after an all-too-brief career she found some happiness in a marriage with a future governor of Nevada. But then a family tendency to mental illness [Stein speculates she was schizophrenic] led to long spells in asylums and separation from her children. She was only 60 and a virtual recluse when she died.
The worst man in her life was her father. It is striking how such a sex symbol was insecure and deeply confused as to what love was and rarely if ever felt wanted. Watching clips of her old movies on Youtube show just what IT was all about.

Clara Bow: Runnin' Wild
Clara Bow: Runnin' Wild by David Stenn (Paperback - 13 Mar 2000)
14.54