on 26 September 2009
This was part of my reading list for University and i can see why the tutors asked us to buy it. It is clean cut, easy to understand, doesn't confuse and has some brilliant diagrams which help you to understand what is being written. The media disk is helpful too and the images will be great for assignments too because they will be easy to reference.

A must if you are a biology student, whether you are doing biology or human biology, it has everything you need, there will be no need to buy any other book.
on 13 July 2012
I was bought this textbook for additional support for a cell biology and biochemistry module I completed in my 1st year of Biomedical Sciences - I found it very useful for the information that was relevant to the module however there were chapters that I did not need to use and instead read for interest. The layout of the textbook is very user friendly and has plenty of diagrams, micrographs and coloured summary pages so if you're a visual person like myself I'd definitely recommend getting it. The CD included included I found very useful for revision. One negative point I will mention is that there are quite a few American terms which I wouldn't personally apply to the context they regard and there is also a mistake I've noticed on the page sumarising protein seperation techniques but that's probably me being my picky self!
on 16 December 2013
Great book, good condition. I imagine if you're buying this it's a recommended text for your uni course. The only downside to the book is that there is an abundance of text that is paragraphed in chunks and not always straight to the point. It was also my most expensive book and had the least pages..
on 19 May 2011
Bought this book for my cell biology related courses in my first year of Biomedical Sciences - has proved completely invaluable!! Provides a great basic level of understanding for most concepts, will hang on to it for a long while yet I think.
on 7 October 2015
Essential Cell Biology is one of the best textbooks for an introduction to molecular and cellular biology. As a molecular biology student, this book was the first to be recommended by my professors, the reason being its simple and very comprehensible explanations on various subjects of molecular biology. It includes a wide variety of subjects, ranging from the basic cell cycle to evolutionary genetics!
I strongly recommend this book to any student in biological and life sciences, as well as to medical students. A great purchase, essential to anyone interested in biology.
on 14 February 2010
Really good for any university first year cell biology lectures. really helps back up the information given to you in the lectures in an informative way without being difficult to understand. the only problem with it is that it is not detailed enough really for subsequent years however i found it crucial when revising for my exam as it was exponentially better and more detailed than the notes i had written!
on 27 April 2010
This is the clearest biochemistry book I have seen yet and has some of the most useful diagrams too. Some of the videos on the CD are very useful as well. For me (doing a biochemistry module as part of my pre-clinical medical course) it has enough detail for most topics.
on 8 May 2014
the book is okay, the explanations are clear and detailed.
It is very useful because information is easy to find across the book, and this especially during coursework is just what students are looking for.
For biology students.
on 2 March 2014
I bought this book for my studies and it became like a bible to me whilst studying cell biology! It was immensely useful and explains everything in great detail and also has end of chapter questions and answers. Excellent book!
on 22 October 2009
This was recommeded text for first year medical course. Develops everything from first principals so you get an overdose of GCSE/GCE Chemistry and Biology. If you have done these then it may dissapoint, which by implication means that it is ideal if you have not done these, especially A2 Biology.