5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST for those doing biology, plant and animal.
This was part of my reading list for University and i can see why the tutors asked us to buy it. It is clean cut, easy to understand, doesn't confuse and has some brilliant diagrams which help you to understand what is being written. The media disk is helpful too and the images will be great for assignments too because they will be easy to reference.

A must if...
Published on 26 Sept. 2009 by Maxien

2.0 out of 5 stars Limited use to those with A2 Biology
This was recommeded text for first year medical course. Develops everything from first principals so you get an overdose of GCSE/GCE Chemistry and Biology. If you have done these then it may dissapoint, which by implication means that it is ideal if you have not done these, especially A2 Biology.
Published on 22 Oct. 2009 by Sho

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST for those doing biology, plant and animal., 26 Sept. 2009
Maxien (Cheltenham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Essential Cell Biology (Paperback)

A must if you are a biology student, whether you are doing biology or human biology, it has everything you need, there will be no need to buy any other book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very accessible!, 19 May 2011
This review is from: Essential Cell Biology (Paperback)
Bought this book for my cell biology related courses in my first year of Biomedical Sciences - has proved completely invaluable!! Provides a great basic level of understanding for most concepts, will hang on to it for a long while yet I think.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 16 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Essential Cell Biology (Paperback)
Great book, good condition. I imagine if you're buying this it's a recommended text for your uni course. The only downside to the book is that there is an abundance of text that is paragraphed in chunks and not always straight to the point. It was also my most expensive book and had the least pages..

4.0 out of 5 stars Essential Cell Biology, 13 July 2012
This review is from: Essential Cell Biology (Paperback)
I was bought this textbook for additional support for a cell biology and biochemistry module I completed in my 1st year of Biomedical Sciences - I found it very useful for the information that was relevant to the module however there were chapters that I did not need to use and instead read for interest. The layout of the textbook is very user friendly and has plenty of diagrams, micrographs and coloured summary pages so if you're a visual person like myself I'd definitely recommend getting it. The CD included included I found very useful for revision. One negative point I will mention is that there are quite a few American terms which I wouldn't personally apply to the context they regard and there is also a mistake I've noticed on the page sumarising protein seperation techniques but that's probably me being my picky self!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book, 14 Feb. 2010
R. Astley (Bath, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Essential Cell Biology (Paperback)
Really good for any university first year cell biology lectures. really helps back up the information given to you in the lectures in an informative way without being difficult to understand. the only problem with it is that it is not detailed enough really for subsequent years however i found it crucial when revising for my exam as it was exponentially better and more detailed than the notes i had written!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 27 April 2010
Cyrus Daruwalla "med student" (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Essential Cell Biology (Paperback)
This is the clearest biochemistry book I have seen yet and has some of the most useful diagrams too. Some of the videos on the CD are very useful as well. For me (doing a biochemistry module as part of my pre-clinical medical course) it has enough detail for most topics.

4.0 out of 5 stars An essential guide to essential cell biology, 8 May 2014
This review is from: Essential Cell Biology (Paperback)
the book is okay, the explanations are clear and detailed.
It is very useful because information is easy to find across the book, and this especially during coursework is just what students are looking for.
For biology students.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a brilliant book!, 2 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Essential Cell Biology (Paperback)
I bought this book for my studies and it became like a bible to me whilst studying cell biology! It was immensely useful and explains everything in great detail and also has end of chapter questions and answers. Excellent book!

2.0 out of 5 stars Limited use to those with A2 Biology, 22 Oct. 2009
Sho (Birmingham UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Essential Cell Biology (Paperback)

3.0 out of 5 stars Too chatty and more suitable for school than for university, 24 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Essential Cell Biology (Paperback)
This book that promises 'Essential Cell Biology' is over 800 pages long. You read it and ask yourself: what did I actually learn? This is when it becomes clear that the book is too long, too chatty and too oversimplified. It could perhaps be exciting for a bright 12 year old, or for students who don't really care about the subject and view it as a necessity to get over with.
If your goal is to make sense of cell biology, it is more timesaving and useful to study Lodish or the big Alberts. These texts offer a much more faithful representation of the structures and processes within cells.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Essential Cell Biology
Essential Cell Biology by Peter Walter (Paperback - 3 April 2009)
Used & New from: £17.22