5.0 out of 5 stars MBOC 3rd Ed. is wonderful!
I am an undergraduate biology major. I don't usually wax
this enthusiastic over a textbook, but this one held my
interest like no other text. Call me strange, but I just
couldn't put it down! I found I couldn't take it to work to
read during down time, because I'd become oblivious to my
surroundings.

That said, this is not the...
Published on 23 Jan 1997

3.0 out of 5 stars A very comprehensive though unfortunatly not current book.
This edition (3rd) came out in early 1995 and I think was really written in 1993. (See inside cover for copyright info).As we all know much knowledge has acumulated since then and many techniques have either changed or become more advanced. It is still an excelant cellular level biology textbook but I think a new edition is in order. Alberts, are you out there!? ;-)
Published on 30 Dec 1998

interest like no other text. Call me strange, but I just
couldn't put it down! I found I couldn't take it to work to
read during down time, because I'd become oblivious to my
surroundings.

That said, this is not the book to start with if you just
want to learn a little about biology. It does presume a
certain base of knowledge.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best book I have ever read, 24 Aug 1998
This review is from: Molecular Biology of the Cell 3E (Hardcover)
I am a biochemistry student in mainland China. I have long wanted to have this book, but unfortunately the book is not available in China. Last month, my friend who is a Canadian citizen bought this book in North America and gave it to me as a present. I was greatly delighted. This is the best molecular and cell biology textbook I have ever read. And I have spent many pleasurable hours reading this wonderful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely well done textbook, 11 July 1999
This review is from: Molecular Biology of the Cell 3E (Hardcover)
This book is the bible of cell biology. I continually find it to be well written, very thorough and extremely well illustrated. I am a PhD student in physiology and would consider this book to be one of the most indispensible books in my library. In fact, this is one of the few books I will pull off the shelf, open to some random page and just read.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best introductory text to cell study, 25 April 1999
This review is from: Molecular Biology of the Cell 3E (Hardcover)
I really dont understand the reviewers who claim for a new updated edition. BUY SCIENCE MAGAZINES if you want to know the latest techniques, you Ana Gomes and the guy from Israel !!! This book is for people who want to study the cell, an intro, like learning to read and write for a person who is going to study literature.

4.0 out of 5 stars could be better, 2 Mar 1999
This review is from: Molecular Biology of the Cell 3E (Hardcover)
I would rate the book as a 6 star book if it mentioned anything about prions. But it doesn't. So I give 4 stars. Please try to do better in the next edition. Even so , it is my favorite book of molecular biology.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best molecular biology textbook ever, 18 July 1998
This review is from: Molecular Biology of the Cell 3E (Hardcover)
This is a big book dealing with molecular biology in considerable detail. It is organised in 24 chapters subdivided in small paragraphs each one dealing with a particular problem in molecular biology. The book covers the basics first and then deals with more specific matters like immunology, cancer, development, etc all seen from the molecular biologist point of view. Although the approach is purely mechanistic it uses a clear evolutionary orientation, well explained at the beginning of the book, that helps to give a dynamic framework to the whole subject. This is not a book to be read in only a few weeks but roughly a year's time, given the detail and amount of material exposed.

5.0 out of 5 stars The single most useful textbook I own, 16 July 1999
This review is from: Molecular Biology of the Cell 3E (Hardcover)
This text covers every important aspect in the field, from experimental techniques and basic concepts to reviews of immunology, cancer, and developmental biology. I used it as a reference in four different undergraduate classes, and have prepared for several job interviews by reviewing the relevant information in this book. The illustrations are all relevant, the organization is excellent, and the prose is so well written that I take the book off the shelf and read it for fun. A new edition would be useful - some of the more speculative information is outdated - but this is still the best textbook I own.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good book, though a new edition is urgently needed!, 22 Jun 1999
This review is from: Molecular Biology of the Cell 3E (Hardcover)
Please, Doctor Alberts, please, Doctor Watson, please, please, please, have mercy on all us postgraduating students!!! Make us a new edition of this formidable book, real soon!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book!, 24 Feb 1998
This review is from: Molecular Biology of the Cell 3E (Hardcover)
I have read this book for my courses during my Biochemistry undergraduate course. The book is presented in an extraordinary detailed format, with beautiful illustrations and diagrams. There isn't a topic that isn't covered in Basic Biochemistry, Molecualar Biology and Genetics, and includes advanced topics such as details on Cancer and others. Although the volume is huge, you will only benefit and benefit tremendously in reading ,understanding and retaining the material contained. Highly recommended by me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absoloutly fantastic......., 29 Sep 1998
This review is from: Molecular Biology of the Cell 3E (Hardcover)
This book is absolutely fantastic. I find it very useful for my course. It covers nearly all areas of molecular and cellular biology from A-Z. The immunolgy secction is well considered, covering areas such as HLA, Antigens Antibody, Cell mediated respose, and so on. You name it its there. There wasn't one subject concerned with Molecular biology that I did not find ion this book. I look forward to buying the next edition of this book. Naz... Bradford

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Molecular Biology of the Cell 3E
Molecular Biology of the Cell 3E by James D. Watson (Hardcover - 29 Mar 1994)
Used & New from: £9.64