4.0 out of 5 stars Insight into otherwise baffling political situation
I bought this simply to try to understand better what happened to cause war and genocide in an apparently modern sophisticated European country in present times. I have two sets of Serbian friends, who provided me with their viewpoint, but I was aware that this might be missing some of the story.
Such was the case.
The writing and research by Noel Malcolm was...
Published 9 months ago by Kevin Leeds

3.0 out of 5 stars A good general history about Bosnia but by no means perfect
Malcolm has fairly successfully managed to cover roughly 1,000 years or so of Bosnia's history. However, as with so many Balkan historians and journalists writing books during the 1990's, the recent war is portrayed simply as being the Serbs out to destroy the Muslims as a people, whereas it was alot more complex than that. A few other problems with Malcolm's book is that...
Published on 11 Feb. 2004 by RM

4.0 out of 5 stars Insight into otherwise baffling political situation, 18 Jun. 2014
Such was the case.
The writing and research by Noel Malcolm was exemplary. The background provided was, I felt, very extensive.
I gave it 4/5 rather than 5/5 merely because of a sense that (and this was nothing to do with my previous Serbian perspective) that the Muslims could do no wrong throughout. Malcolm seemed to me to be a bit of an Islamophile. Not that it detracts from the story, just something I sensed and made me wonder whether I need to read another comparable work to gain a rounder perspective.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still relevant, 13 April 2013
Written at the height of the recent conflict, Noel Malcolm's anger is palpable. Nevertheless the scholarship is excellent and the the detail impressive even if it sounds like a desperate last plea for a doomed country in a losing struggle. Fortunately Bosnia was not ultimately doomed even if so much of the heritage and the records of the past were wilfully destroyed by the aggressors.
Read the book but don't hate the Serbs!

4.0 out of 5 stars About more than Bosnia, 7 Dec. 2007
Graham R. Hill (Ilkley) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This book addresses a number of issues. It, of course, deals with the history of Bosnia and Hercegovina up to 1995, covering both the tragic conflict of the 1990s and the background to it. It does so in a way that leaves the reader certain of one thing above all: that nothing is a simple and clear cut as the propagandists on all sides would have one believe.

However, the book is also interesting in the way it touches on and illuminates other issues: the long struggle between the Ottoman and Hapsburg empires, the schism between the Catholic and Orthodox branches of Christianity and the myth of the ethnic purity of nations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great reading, 26 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Bosnia: A Short History (Hardcover)
The author presents the history of Bosnia from ancient to modern times in an authoritative and factual manner, albeit interesting and readable. I consider myself a relatively well-educated Bosnian, however I learned a whole lot from this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Corker, 21 Jan. 2015
Stephen Mitchell "Mitch" (Kew Gardens, London , UK) - See all my reviews
Absolutely cracking book. Doesn't just handle the intricate and usually confusing topic of Bosnian history incredibly well, it provides an insight into the history of South-East Europe (particularly Yugoslav countries) as well. Awesome read and heavily recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Bosnia : A Short History, 18 Jun. 2014
Both: an extremely reliable & interesting source of information about the history og Bosnia and Herzegovina. I definitely recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars a great book. Quite hard work, 23 Feb. 2015
Real information all relevant to the history and development of wider Europe, a great book. Quite hard work, not easy to hurry through it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bosnia- a short history, 11 Dec. 2011
A superb book, lays to rest all the myths about the ' inevitability' of war after the break up of Yugoslavia and complicit role the west played in the terrible acts of genocide in Bosnia .... Writtent with clarity, fairness and scholarly enquiry

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book, 8 April 2000
By A Customer
I am a Bosnian; I was 15 years old when I was forced to leave my home in Bosnia together with my family, while my father and my grandfather were brutally executed. I must admit that I did not know much about Bosnia as everything was done in (former Yugoslavia) to make us feel Yugoslavian (Serbian).
Apart from the obvious I knew very little about Bosnia and Herzegovina, I knew that Bosnia is an independent country (at least on paper) and that Serbs together with politicians from England, France and other countries such us President Miteran, Lord Owen, Butros Butros Gali, Yasushi Akashi , everything was being done to biologically wipe out the whole of the Bosnian nation, history, heritage, and culture. Although this made me feel like the smallest and weakest person on this planet I was still patriotic and I secretly knew that Bosnia not only had the above mentioned elements, but had a richer culture, bigger and more valuable heritage, as well as a very long and rich history.
The problem was that though I believed in all this, I had no way of proving this to me. Then Noel Malcolm's book came along. Not only did it make me more confident, it actually changed my life. All the things that I secretly knew where true about Bosnia, were confirmed in his book. All the above listed politicians, all their efforts to persuade the world that Bosnia is and never was nothing are nothing compared to his very intelligent research, arguments and proof. The book is written in such an elegant and yet attractive manner, it is a pure joy to read. I recommend this book to anyone who is interested in finding out the truth about Bosnia and Bosnian people.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant., 22 Dec. 2011
Mrs. S. A. Rayner (Isle of Wight, UK) - See all my reviews
Written with such authority, using well-balanced arguments to dispel myths. Entertainingly written with more than adequate detail for a short history.

Bosnia: A Short History
Bosnia: A Short History by Noel Malcolm (Hardcover - 1 July 1994)
Used & New from: £4.45