4.0 out of 5 stars Very Effective

3.0 out of 5 stars Well Written
Published on 9 May 2012 by Joseph Benn

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Effective, 3 July 2009
Ernest Owusu-bempah (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Power of Charm: How to Win Anyone Over in Any Situation (Hardcover)
This book is short and goes straight to the point. The advice is simple and very easy to follow. My job involves a lot of contact with customers and after trying out a few of the techniques I began noticing that people were warming to me, especially my work colleagues, they come up to me and start opening up, tell me all sorts of things and trusting me with secret stuff. My favorite technique is the eye flip, after doing it to a colleague and tasking them how attentive I was to her she said that it was like only the two of us were in the staff room (which we weren't). All in all a good book which will increase your confidence and thus improve your socializing skills, it also helps with your speech, I used to stutter a lot but now it has decreased considerably.

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 7 Dec 2010
Very clear, concise and beautifully laid out. May be useful to you if you want to improve the impact you have on others. Also essential, in my view, is "How to win friends and influence people" by Dale Carnegie.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple but effective, 8 July 2010
Glitterfoot (Galway, Ireland) - See all my reviews
If you're read any books on improving personal interaction, then a lot of the theory is familiar to you. However, it's packaged in an easily readable, concise package. It wasn't overly taxing but I found it a good reminder/refresher to study.

3.0 out of 5 stars Well Written, 9 May 2012
This book is well written and quite an enjoyable read. If one was new to persuasion and charm skills then I could see it being quite useful. For someone well versed and practiced in NLP, trained in sales or familiar with the genre however there is nothing in this book that it is new. If you feel you have a good grounding in persuasion skills then I would check out Rintu Basu's Black Book of Persuasion Skills which goes into the linguistics side in quite a bit of detail in my opinion.

4.0 out of 5 stars Charming!, 18 Jan 2011
My initial thoughts on this book was that it would be aimed at swanky, arrogant, salesman.
However, there are sound principles of interaction that will benefit anyone who works with other people, has friends, relationships, family; in other words, everyone.
The first chapters define charm and what it can do for you. The 'Five As' of charm are discussed: Acceptance, Appreciation, Approval, Admiration and Attention, which form the basis of the study.
We are advised on how to use our eyes, head, posture and voice to gain rapport with the other person.
There's nothing really new here, apart from the 'flick' technique, but the book is a good, well written overview of deepening your relationships with others.

4.0 out of 5 stars Charm your way into enhanced relationships and power, 5 Jan 2007
Rolf Dobelli "getAbstract" (Switzerland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
You could read Brian Tracy's basic handbook on charm in about an hour and come away with several elementary, but applicable, communication techniques. Even better, you can put his techniques to use immediately. Charm is the glue that unites the contents of this basket of basic communication skills and scraps. While it's a little gimmicky, the idea of being charming sounds just lovely. Co-author Ron Arden, a former actor and director, adds some solidity with valuable anecdotes about creating a stage presence. While parts of the content will seem familiar to you if you've already read a few books on interpersonal communication, this manual offers novices a fast overview and a good look at the basics. We recommend this useful book as a way to become charming without going to charm school.

5.0 out of 5 stars good read, 31 Aug 2008
as probably with lots/all of these kind of books it does not reveal any magic tricks. the things explained are simple and sound quite logic when reading. nevertheless are lots of these things neglected when communicating and quite easy to reintroduce in the own communication techniques.
especially the part of the physical signals that are sent out during communication are quite interesting and actually made me watching people on tv to spot them.
i just finished the book (easy read, also for not native speakers !) and cant tell how much i will benefit from it. however i am motivated to start actively integrating the practices in my daily life!
reading recommended !

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read yet content is obvious., 7 Aug 2013
I f you're interested in becoming charming on a friendly level this`'ll do it for you. However the lessons taught are mostly just common sense: eye contact, smiling, praise and being sincere etc. There are a few points that helped increase my knowledge however I honestly can't recommend this book at its full price. Good, but not THAT good.
Also, if your idea of charming is in regards to women and dating what you learn here is a decent foundation however you'll need to tune it with your knowledge of dating and attraction.

Gave it a 3/5 simply because I could spend two hours on YouTube for similar results.

5.0 out of 5 stars a great read, 30 May 2013
It may sound common sense, but when reading this book you critically evaluate your behaviour and find out that most of the common sense is missing and that is when the benefits of this book reveal themselves.

4.0 out of 5 stars Effective, 11 Feb 2012
This book has some good, common sense advice in it. Some of it strikes me as rather manipulative (!) but there are some pretty sound tips which actually seem to work if subtly employed in practice. Useful for those of us who enjoy wooing the ladies and impressing our bosses !!!

The Power of Charm: How to Win Anyone Over in Any Situation