Having been a member and moderator at Photoshopforums.com (one of Patrick's many communities) for almost a year now, and had firsthand experience with managing a content-based website of my own, I decided to read "Managing Online Forums" to gain an insight into how online communities are managed - and I wasn't disappointed!

The book really does contain a wealth...
Published on 19 July 2008 by Mr. M. Whiting

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty decent but skims in some bits
A very good book for those who are just starting out with online forums but I feel the author is a little overcome with his own style of forum moderating and fails to present enough examples. I particularly found the dealing with problems area weak, particularly dealing with members where it is difficult to decide whether they should stay or go.

It is good if...
Published on 27 April 2009 by P. J. Dixon

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this book, and save yourself years of finding out the hard way!, 19 July 2008
Mr. M. Whiting (Haverhill, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Managing Online Forums: Everything You Need to Know to Create and Run a Successful Community Discussion Board: Everything You Need to Know to Create and Run Successful Community Discussion Boards (Paperback)

The book really does contain a wealth of information that ranges right from the preparation work you need to do before even thinking about launching an online community, to how you can maintain and advertise the finished product. Through the way, Patrick writes about his experiences and gives a clear indication of not just how he works, but why, which for me is an extremely important factor. His honest reasons and accounts are what turn this good book into a great one!

One of my favourite parts of this book, and one that I find quite astonishing, is the publication of Patrick's hand-crafted User Guidelines that can be used free on your own forums. He also includes all the contact templates that can be used when members break the guidelines. The fact that they are free to use elsewhere is a testament to how useful this book is to anyone working with online communities. I'm sure that everyone from beginner (which is where I fall) to advanced will appreciate the detailed and accurate information that's contained inside.

One day, I'm sure I'll tinker with the idea of creating a forum to run alongside my site, a place where people can come, talk, listen and enjoy, and when that time comes, I know I'll feel much more capable knowing Patrick's book is part of my collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Luigi442wii Reviews, 4 May 2014
Now, I know a lot about forums.
It's very good for the price. The sample that I had was a good read, and I'll join his boards soon.

I use Forum Invision (Forumotion) to run my place. I have used boards since 2011, although my only moderation was in the shoutbox.

Anyway, I learnt a bit through it, although I copy MKGirlism's style of forum management.

MY BOARD IS CALLED L4W2 GAMERS.
So, I recommend to all Forum managers.
ABXD is the best board software ever. The staff on those boards could help. ESPECIALLY Micro-Mario64.
Review a bit rubbish, sorry.

5.0 out of 5 stars The "awesomely" local guide in a foreign country, 4 April 2014
This is an awesome resource and a must have for anyone running or moderating an online community.
Patrick has been managing online communities since 2000, and shares his experiences and lessons he's learned over the years. Being a total beginner in a strange world. This book has been my leading star in an otherwise very dark cave... =D
I coulden't have done without it!

5.0 out of 5 stars I've managed a large forum for years and really enjoyed Patrick's book. Great advice for both small and BIG forums!!, 12 Feb 2014
From the very start you get the impression that Patrick really cares about his communities; that he is prepared to take all manner of flak to protect them, and that he's got most of the t-shirts it is possible for a community manager to get!

The book is clear and easy to understand, is broken down into useful sections that go into good detail with examples and advice on what to do when you experience issues at your community, and has lots of templates you can adapt for use at your site. Setting up or established, it doesn't matter, you'll find something in Managing Online Forums that captures your interest or inspires you to make positive changes to help yourself, your moderator team, and as a result, your membership.

I've gone back to the book time and again and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys building and running forums.

Shaun
Clickfinity.net

4.0 out of 5 stars Essential Guide for Online Communities, 13 Jun 2013
I found this book some years ago in a book shop in Manila, whilst generally browsing. At that time, I had been moderating an online community for the old dice game, yahtzee, called freethedice.com. I had really no idea what I was doing. Things are easy when they are going well but it is very easy to be too "nice" but being a manager is not just about being nice.

Patrick's book has helped with the more difficult aspects of running a community which is to have the confidence to make tough decisions when there are people who threaten the community, which they will.

The book offers great advice on how to handle specific situations, general background advice based on his extensive experience of running many online communities and also contains templates illustrating some ways you might communicate with your users. This proved essential for me and later for friends who I recommend the book to when they were running their sites. The book is neatly organised so also serves as a good reference guide and is never far away from my desk.

Patrick also actively participates on facebook and his own communities and has been kind enough to respond to my questions on certain topics.

The book is definitely worth reading and keeping nearby.

5.0 out of 5 stars A definite must have for all online community managers, new or old, 9 Jan 2013
Bought this book a couple of weeks back, finally arrived 3 days ago.

I've been following Patrick for a couple of months now ([...]) and he is literally what you'd call a self made man. Everything he's got, everything he's achieved and accomplished he's worked hard for it for many, many years.

Most online community managers, once they become 'successful' they generally go into consulting, charge ridiculously over-priced fees basically to tell you...... pretty much the same as what Patrick would tell you for free. Through his blogs, through Q&A's, and exactly the same as what Patrick tells you through his book.

For £17-ish you get Patrick's life-long experience, knowledge and expertise and there's not much he can't tell you that these £5,000-ish online community manager consultants can. Patrick started from a young age and he's owned successful communities, failed communities, he's been through it all trial & error so you don't have to.

The book is titled Managing Online Forums but don't take that at face value - his methods and strategies work for all online communities. One point he stresses is that a forum is not a community, a forum is one type of platform that a community can form on.

Whether you're a veteran online community manager, whether you're wanting to go into social media (a post of Patrick's comes to mind here: managers of online forums are real social media experts), or like me - a new budding entrepreneur who wants to bulk up his arsenal of knowledge to heighten chances of success through learning and deploying real tried & tested strategies with a reduced risk of trial & error - this book is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant, a real help with working on details for managing Communities, 27 Nov 2012
Having been running online communities since 2007, and having had quite a lot of varied experience on different forums in moderator/administrative positions, I felt that when myself and a couple of friends were working on a UK Gaming community, it would be worth finding out about ideas which we haven't used since our forums have been started from scratch without much in the way of planning, I thought it would be good to use a guidebook to find ways to improve how we've been running the community.

With this book, I've found that it provides me with information and community features which I already know about (which is fine), but provides instructions on how to integrate the information and features into my own community successfully. I've also found that there's a lot of information/details about running a community which I didn't know.

I'd recommend this book for anyone thinking of starting up a community or currently running one, as I find it extremely useful and I've still got it sitting on top of my desk and read through it regularly for ideas even though the community I was running when I brought the book had closed. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars very good book, 11 Oct 2012
As i said this is a very good, i could go on, but its well worth the money and generally a very good book. Sorry i cant elaborate but if you are interested in the title of the book (which i assume is how you found it) then this book will not let you down, a bit brief in some areas, such as the software to be used, but the software is and has evolved both for good and bad, so is the internet evolving every day of the week, but this book covers all of the basics, and you can expand on some of the specifics as you go on (such as the software etc

5.0 out of 5 stars Managing Online Forums: Everything You Need to Know to Create and Run a Successful Community Discussion Board: Everything You Ne, 29 Feb 2012
Gidu (Kingston-upon-Thames UK) - See all my reviews
This book is simply fantastic.
It met all my expectations.
With a very plain and easy to follow language, and without going too deep into technical concepts, it provides a no-nonsense and quite comprehensive guide to would-be forum owners and/or administrators.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 11 Feb 2009
I bought this book as I am new to managing an online community for the company I work for in the UK. I found it full of extremely useful information from how to develop your site, to policing it and dealing with difficult members.

The book is easy to read, takes a common-sense approach to it's subject and is not crammed with confusing technical jargon (there's even a glossary at the back - ideal for the technophobes out there!)

I would thoroughly recommend this book to anyone considering setting up a forum or community site.