5.0 out of 5 stars The best book on South African history
Published on 22 Mar. 2005 by Kurt A. Johnson

1.0 out of 5 stars Complaint: small letters, I cannot read the text in the book

To Amazon
The letters in the book are the smallest, I ever saw. I can only read the text with big difficulty. The book, 716 pages, is worthless and useless for me.
If you sell a book with such small letters, you should very carefully explain in advance, that you are not using normal letters. Of course i would not order that copy.
I have...
Published on 1 April 2013 by claus rasmussen

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book on South African history, 22 Mar. 2005
Kurt A. Johnson (Marseilles, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Afrikaners (Reconsiderations in Southern African History) (Paperback)
This fascinating book is subtitled, "Biography of a People," and it certainly lives up to it. The book follows the history of the Boers of South Africa, from their arrival in the seventeenth century, through to the final collapse of apartheid and beyond (the book having been published in 2003). Along the way, the reader is treated to an in-depth and yet highly readable history that makes South African history come alive in an exciting and highly informative way.
I must say, this book is nothing short of a tour de force! I have read several books on South Africa, and I must admit that I was at first intimidated by this book's size and appearance, which convinced me that it was a school book. But, while this book is eminently useful as a school book, it is still highly readable, making South Africa's history interesting. It covers many details without sounding dry and academic.
So, while I have read several books on South Africa's history, I can easily say that this is the best one that I have read so far. If you are interested in South Africa and the Boers, then this is the best book you can get on the subject. I give this book my highest recommendations!

5.0 out of 5 stars Monumental work, 30 July 2009
Dr. A. V. Conradie "Alex Conradie" (Northern England) - See all my reviews
An interpreted history, The Afrikaners, is a deeply engrossing and thought provoking work. As an Afrikaner himself, Hermann Giliomee, brings a largely dispassionate and objective analysis to the emotionally charged history of a South African people. In particular, I admire the content for its ability to dispel the many Afrikaner founding myths that I was taught in school during the 1980s. For those of us who have often thought that the Great Trek and the Anglo Boer War are the defining moments of the Afrikaner, Giliomee offers an alternate perspective. In shedding centuries of subjugation and finally apartheid itself, the Afrikaner is finally on a journey unhindered by the Raka that has plagued the soul of a people for far too long. Giliomee delivers on his opening promise; to understand is not to pardon, but there is no harm in understanding.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Real Authority on an Interesting People, 28 May 2013
Helped me Understand the present day Rainbow Nation for informing me before a an extended tour around a very beautiful country. .Offered and supplied with the usual unsurpassed Amazon service and efficiency.

5.0 out of 5 stars Boere, 21 Feb. 2015
Great book. Pity no=one cares about the Afrikaaners today because they are being genocided.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 8 Aug. 2014
nil

1.0 out of 5 stars Complaint: small letters, I cannot read the text in the book, 1 April 2013

To Amazon
I have earlier with pleausure ordered books from Amazon,and they are always printed in a normal way, that I can read.
I planned to use the book in my history class in the University of Aarhus, but now I have to find another book.
I think you should offer me another copy, with normal letters.

greeting from Denmark
Claus Rasmussen, lecturer

The Afrikaners (Reconsiderations in Southern African History)
The Afrikaners (Reconsiderations in Southern African History) by Hermann Giliomee (Paperback - 15 Jan. 2003)
Used & New from: £7.36