5.0 out of 5 stars Glorious, and way ahead of its time., 24 Sept. 2013
J. Burgess "John Burgess" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Essential Stories (Modern Library) (Paperback)
A British - if somewhat older - Raymond Carver, and a real joy to read. Rich imaginative stories which I found myself remembering with pleasure at unexpected moments of the day, long after I had finished the book. Short brilliant pieces - the dizzy night of an inebriated woman in Piccadilly Circus - sit next to wonderful comedy ("The Saint" looks at a boy's sad discovery about the truth of his cult religion) and clever character cameos (pity the overlooked brother in "The Fall"). Strange that his work is not more widely available in the UK - you'll have to buy this as an American import. I shall look forward to reading more of him - if I can find more!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great British storyteller, 29 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Essential Stories (Modern Library) (Paperback)
I had heard of V.S. Pritchett but had never read his work before until I chose him as the subject for a university assignment. (I have to confess, I might have got him confused in my mind with V.S. Naipul.)

This book is a collection of wonderful short stories. Here, Pritchett takes the commonplace and turns it into something extraordinary. In lesser hands, many of these stories would be rendered as full length novels, such is the breadth and depth of the worlds he constructs.

Really worth reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sixteen short stories by a specialist in short stories, 17 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Essential Stories (Modern Library) (Paperback)
This review is for "Essential Stories" by V.S.Pritchett; it's the "The Modern Library Classics" book that has a short bibliographical note and an Introduction by Jeremy Treglown.

There are sixteen short stories which take up 223 pages. The author was born in 1900 and started getting work published in the 1920's. Apparently he was a well-known critic as well as a writer of short stories.

Alongside reading this book, I have also been reading Hemingway's "Complete Short Stories of .. " and Katherine Mansfield's "The Collected Stories of .. " (all of which are short stories). The short stories by Pritchett are, for me, far superior to Hemingway's or Mansfield's. To be fair to Hemingway and Mansfield, Pritchett's stories are "selected", so he may well have written less interesting stories; I enjoyed this selection, anyway. I never felt like the author was just filling up the page with words; there's a real story, with a purpose, and some of the endings have got a real punch to them - "The Fall" and "When my girl comes home" were my favourites.

With other 1920's and 1930's writers I often need a dictionary to work out vocabulary, but this author keeps the words relatively simple - he just gets on with an entertaining story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 Mar. 2015
Great book

Essential Stories (Modern Library)
Essential Stories (Modern Library) by Jeremy Treglown (Introduction) (Paperback - 27 Jan. 2005)
Used & New from: £4.65