5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece of political theatre, 15 July 2010
Pablo (Co. Down/ Navarra) - See all my reviews
Like The Vagina Monologues, this book is a collage of composite monologues in poetry and prose. These monologues recreate the pressures on young women to conform, wherever they might be in the world - from middle-class America to Africa to Palestine and Israel. They empathise with the suffering of girls forced into child labour and/or sex slavery and/or military activity. Girl issues range from arranged marriages and genital mutilation to anorexia and cosmetic surgery to the right to wear a short skirt without being raped or to request your partner to wear a condom. This book empathises with and gives voice to girls and young women most of us normally never hear. It is designed to reach out and touch women throughout the world, to encourage them to question and challenge, rather than seek to please and repress the instinctive woman inside. In terms of tone, it ranges from the darkly comic to the deeply moving to the justifiably outraged. While exhorting a rejection of the subject position(s) created for girls and women and a reclaiming of their lives, it simultaneously exposes those subject positions for the sham that they are. It provides insightful analyses of the ethically rudderless upside-down world in which we live and as such constitutes a rejection - emotional, intellectual and spiritual - of cold, mechanical and manipulative macho corporate culture, and a call to unite against it. This is a book to be read quickly and then meditated on slowly. If you are a young woman, read this book and help liberate yourself. If you're not, read it and learn.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, 27 Jan 2014
An inspirational read which leaves you asking many questions! Every woman and girl should read this and learn to not accept but to question and be heard.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it!, 14 Oct 2013
This review is from: I Am an Emotional Creature: The Secret Life of Girls Around the World (Paperback)
I love it!
Enjoy being a girl, use the power in a good way.
It remembers me something important but I forgot sometimes, it is lucky to read it when I am going to have a new life in a new city.
I love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 25 Dec 2012
Product arrived on time (even before the deadline) and in excellent conditions, as stated in the sale advert.
Many thanks!

4.0 out of 5 stars An emotional outburst, 30 Sep 2012
I got it after I heard the TED talk from Eve Ensler, which ended with this poem: [...]
I have to agree that, some of the writing is best heard (i.e., performed by Eve Ensler) rather than read. Nevertheless, it provides a kaleidoscope of girl emotions, and will definitely keep it in my library.

ARRAY(0xaf2bb84c)