5.0 out of 5 stars This book will transport you, 11 April 2007
This review is from: Durable Goods (Ballantine Reader's Circle) (Paperback)
I finished 'Durable Goods' last night and am re-reading it today, marking the original lines. She has a simple but powerful writing style and uses diamond-sharp similes.

There's no complex 'plot' as such in this book. The story is about the thoughts and feelings of a 12 year old girl, Katie, struggling to get along with her 18 year old sister, and their volatile and aggressive Army Dad who does not permit his daughters to cry. Katie is also still trying to come to terms with her mother's death.

For all that it's a heart-warming up-beat book told in present tense first-person point of view. There is much gentle humour as Katie longs for the onset of puberty while her best friend, Cherylanne, is already 14 and expert in the ways of women, the world, and glossy magazine 'chic'.

It made me smile a lot but also made me feel like crying at one point.

We've all experienced having to move, leave close friends behind, at some time in life and reading this unlocked some deep stuff. It touches chords, even in a man.

The mini interview info at the back of the book says she wrote a third book, 'True to Form', as one of her readers just had to know what happened to Katie after 'Joy School', so I'm looking forward to reading the other two now.

For anyone thinking of starting writing, she has also written: 'Escaping into the open - the art of writing' which provides much encouragement.

5.0 out of 5 stars A prosaic masterpiece on the timeless aspects of growing up., 27 Aug 1996
This review is from: Durable Goods (Paperback)
Elizabeth Berg leads the reader back to childhood, to the endless waiting,
to the unending anticipations and frustrations, to the simple joys and all
consuming sorrows of youth. As the protagonist lives her ordinary moments, at the
eye of the stormy life around her is emerging a young woman with hope and
courage. Elizabeth Berg writes with tender humor and vital realism that is
sure to make this book a durable good.

5.0 out of 5 stars A girl's journey to understand life and how to live it, 2 Sep 1999
This review is from: Durable Goods (Paperback)
This book exceeded all of my expectations in the greatest way. It is so truthful and heartfelt that you can't help but fall in love with the characters and try to gain an even better understanding of their lives. Durable Goods is well worth the time to read it, the pages will turn one after another because it is impossible to put down for even one second.

5.0 out of 5 stars Half of my Durable Goods is underlined, 7 April 1999
This review is from: Durable Goods (Paperback)
I have this habit of underlining, while reading a book, the sentences or phrases or comments or whatever that may be said, which rings this bell in my inner self. This bell awakens my senses, my dreams and brings back to my mind, out from the deep dark corners of my subconscience (there where we throw feelings we try to forget and memories we try to ignore) everything that made me a being, a human. And I say "try" because:"Sometimes it seems to me that the only thing in the world is people just trying...". I used to be so pesimistic and indifferent but this book made me realize that:"Sometimes when I think of heaven, I think all it is is people looking down and missing things..."; now, I really appreciate my life and my existance as a whole. And you know what? Half of Durable Goods is underlined..

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great little book!!!!, 1 July 1999
This review is from: Durable Goods (Paperback)
"Durable Goods" was a bit too short for my liking but.... I loved it. Katie and her friend Cherylanne are on the verge of womanhood and are typical teens. Her sister Diane is just about a woman and is breaking away with her boyfriend. I can hardly wait to read Joy School!!!!

Durable Goods (Ballantine Reader's Circle)
Durable Goods (Ballantine Reader's Circle) by Elizabeth Berg (Paperback - Jun 2003)