5.0 out of 5 stars In defence of this book
Published on 25 Jan 2011 by Minna

1.0 out of 5 stars Slapdash!
Published on 19 Jun 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars In defence of this book, 25 Jan 2011
Minna (Bucharest, Romania) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Anatomy of the Psyche: Alchemical Symbolism in Psychotherapy (Reality of the Psyche Series) (Paperback)
While I agree with the previous review in that symbols cannot be dealt with schematically without risking a lot, sometimes Edinger's simple approach is the only path by which some people can begin to understand these complex matters. I mean people who perhaps don't feel like looking into something that is presented only as a difficult matter, which cannot be defined. :)
It is my case too, and I have Edinger's books to thank for opening my mind to even look into the Bible, because before reading his works I was completely uninterested, even though I had read a few of Jung's works that deal with Christian symbols to some extent. I simply couldn't understand why so many people were driven to believe the Bible word for word and say that it is so profoundly important. Since reading Edinger I was inspired, and I made my own way further into understanding.
You don't have to believe everything he writes, but reading this book is definitely useful in opening your eyes to some very important things.
So as not to mention the satisfaction of seeing it all so clearly expressed, while all other writers say it so ambiguously... you may say it's a guilty pleasure but I say it's a reassuring moment. And it can even be a way of checking your own ideas and conclusions against his: feel free to argue with his theories!
After all, if we take any of these matters too lightly, we will surely learn in time (more or less painfully) how to adjust our attitude! ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 8 July 2014
excellent

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful read, 8 Jun 2014
Edward Edinger wrote in a persuasive way about how the spiritual realm can inform psychotherapeutic practice. Using alchemical operations, if only as an internal map to guide the therapist in client work, can be enormously helpful when seeking to understand unconscious processing, particularly in dream analysis. This book helped as an aid to a lecture series I attended but reading this book outside an academically supported environment might seem a little dry and complicated.

1.0 out of 5 stars Slapdash!, 19 Jun 2001
By A Customer
I am very critical of the way Edinger uses his intellect to dissect every precious symbol from the history of religion. As a result the symbols become emptied of their mystery and two-dimensional. His "Anatomy of the Psyche" belongs to his late period and it is here where he goes farthest in his repudiation of the Jungian school where he was trained. Here Edinger has finally turned to a Gnostic religious viewpoint and declares that the ego and its consciousness can be strengthened until it finally attains a divine stature. As a result the individual attains eternal life since he takes his abode in the Platonic sphere beyond time and space. It's hard to believe that this man actually lectured at a psychological institute. Some sort of New Age temple would be more proper.

Edinger can be branded a poor man's depth psychologist. He suits anybody who is content with a sketchy treatment of very tough problems. The interpretations of the alchemical symbols are shallow and slapdash to the extent that I was shocked when I first read this book. His interpretations often contradict accepted understanding. This book is full of transcendentalism and strange self-contradictions. I cannot recommend it.

Mats W