4.0 out of 5 stars Picking up and (finally) moving on
Published on 15 Nov 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Things starting to look up...?
After the misery of the last book maybe we are going to see a return to form which made the first 5 books so very good. All in all an enjoyable read and i sincerely hope the author can maintain the momentum now to finish the series on the high with which he started.
Published on 12 Dec 2000

4.0 out of 5 stars Picking up and (finally) moving on, 15 Nov 2000
By A Customer
Well, here it is - I've been waiting for it since mid May and I was not disappointed. After the hard time I had with PoD, (i.e. I had to read it three times for it to stick in my head - Jordan's books usually go in the first time) I was hoping for something to keep my attention, and I was rewarded with a book that kept me saying "I'll just read a bit more... Maybe another chapter... or two..." It really was a book almost equal to his earlier offerings. We had many loose ends tied up, including the identity of one of the characters that I am sure will soon become a major feature, and the true identity of Corlan Dashiva, although I thought that this could have been fleshed out a little more. Having started reading the morning I got it, I finally finished at about 7pm that evening, and am re-reading it again to make sure I got everything I could out of the book. I would heartily recommend it to any WoT fan.

3.0 out of 5 stars Things starting to look up...?, 12 Dec 2000
By A Customer
My only problems i guess are ones of taste - didn't the Forsaken seem a lot more dangerous at the start of the series? :) In some ways the scale of the series has suffered but maybe this is simply due to it's size.
Now the long wait begins for the next in the series, after all this time i begin to take his comment about writing until they nail the coffin shut seriously:)

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better than the last three, 25 Nov 2001
By A Customer
In this book things really do get better. I mean, what was Jordan playing at leaving Mat stuck under a building-dead for all we know-for an entire book! But really, it does get better, things start to happen again like they used to in the early books. Robert Jordan's back on track with the ninth book and i'm going to get the tenth as soon as its out(whenever that is).
One criticism i do have however is that there is too much waffle. If you cut half the descriptive jargon-that no one really understands anyway- the same story is still told, and in a lot fewer words. I'm not really complaining though-it's a good read and i'd recommend it any day.

4.0 out of 5 stars A return to form...almost, 11 May 2001
By A Customer
After the slog of the last two books, I was fearful for Book Nine of the Wheel of Time. And 250 pages in, I was tempted to speed-read through the remaining 400 pages, so laboured and ponderous the book had become. Then one shocking development took place, followed by another, followed by another...it was as if RJ realised he could only string us along for so long. I devoured the remainder of the book, relishing every revelation and I am now eagerly awaiting Book Ten. But when I think of the awful opening third of Winter's Heart, and marvel at the fact that I was so close to abandoning ten year's worth of reading, this book is probably only worth three stars in itself. But as part of this fantastic series, let's give it four stars. Just about.

3.0 out of 5 stars It got a little better, anyhow..., 19 Dec 2000
By A Customer
I think Winters Heart is an improvement over the last few books, but GODS, I want the Shaido and Sevanna all dead, simply for still existing. Things are still slow in this book, but thing begin to pick up a little more steam...I just hope Robert Jordan hurries up the next book a little, and begins to pick up the pace of things a little more, as well.An ok book, but he needs to pick up the pace a lot if he wants to keep from losing his readership.

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh god will it ever end???, 18 Dec 2000
I loved the first few books, but now it all just goes in circles. Better than POD, but more plots are created than solved. RJ has become too obsessed with his own characters. My main fear is that he dies before bringing the series to an end.

3.0 out of 5 stars slightly better than books 7 & 8, 25 Oct 2001
I wasn't very anxious to get started on this, after the disappointments of the previous volumes, but when I had finally exhausted the pile of 'books to read' there was only this one left. And it's not as bad as I expected. The story moves on again, after the stalling in book eight, and some questions are answered. Still, there are some serious flawes. One of them is that, apart from Rand, Mat & Min, everyone has turned into an arsehole. It's very hard to feel sympathy towards any of the characters other than the three mentioned.
Furthermore there are now so many Aes Sedai, Wise Ones & Windfinders going around that I've completely lost track of them. Far too many names, and they're all exactly the same anyway: stubborn and annoying old women, cardboard figures who can be forgotten as soon as you've finished the chapter they appear in.
The witches are also the main reason this story fails to get to the point. If they managed to listen to each other and the men for a change the whole of Randland would have been ready for Tarmon Gaidon by now. Instead they all 'look like steel & talk like stone' and achieve nothing. But maybe that's the point RJ is trying to make: A world run by scheming women is a mess. The thing is, that's not what I want to read. I started on this series because I expected good fantasy fiction, and for six volumes I wasn't disappointed. Now it's all become long descriptions of petty politics. But if I'd wanted to learn about politics I would have bought Macchiavelli.
RJ is capable of five-star writing, we've seen that at the start of the series, if this is his first step on the way back to that level of writing, let's hope book ten will be a bigger step.

4.0 out of 5 stars A little Shaky during the middle but what an ending!, 4 Jan 2002
Once again Jordan has served up a brilliantly involving novel, however is he straying off the beaten path? With many other fantasy novels, which do not compare to Jordan's series, I often find myself skim reading some pages which are largely irrevelant, never before have i done this with The Wheel of Time Series, until now. He has unravelled a large ball of strings and unfortunatly has not yet begun to tie knots in the end, for example the Seanchen, their invasion force should have been delt with throughly in this book, instead they are still left resting for another book. Overall i'm afraid that this story was rather drawn out, for example Matts marriage to the Daughter of the Nine Moons. The reader knew it was going to happen for most of the novel however it wasn't revealed to Matt untill the end.
During this book Jordan failed to offer as much as he did in other novels, getting bogged down in politics and as one otehr reviewer said clothes design. However he did make up with it by a fantastic ending which no doubt reaffirmed every readers love affair with the story.

1.0 out of 5 stars Next please....., 8 Mar 2006
Martin Anderson (London, UK) - See all my reviews
If you have read the preceding couple of books you will know what to expect: shawls are twitched, glares are hard/flat/augers, women will be unable to understand men and men will misunderstand woman and, of course, nothing much will happen in 678 pages. If you are a fan of large passages describing clothing and camp sites in the greatest of detail, you will love this book.
If however, you read the first 6 books in this series and loved the truly superb stories of believable characters in difficult situations who demanded your attention then this book is not only a waste of money but also a waste of time. A 20 page synopsis would provide you with as much as you need to understand what will happen next. Apart from the last chapter, which is one of the strongest chapters in terms of storyline advancement in all the books, this book is blatant padding.
I can’t help but get the feeling that the author planned to write 12 books irrespective on whether the story deserved it. So this book became a spacer.
After reading the first 6 books, I would have thrust one in your hand if you hadn’t read it before, absolutely sure that you were missing out. Now, I wouldn’t give it to anyone unless I wanted them to stop reading altogether.
Because of this, I recommend that you borrow this book instead of buying it, or only buy it if you want to complete the set.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the last one?, 3 Jan 2001
By A Customer
Well, its an improvement on PoD but Winter's Heart still lacks the pace,excitement and mystery of the earlier books. Too much attention to details of clothing, decor and incidentals and lack of attention to developing all the plot lines. Some characters need to go [most definitely that trollope Shaido 'would be' witch]along with some other dubious characters. I think Robert Jordan needs to put a very large flow chart up on his wall that follows all the plots and starts to pull them together again- this saga will never end unless he does. This series had such potential and it's being wasted. The next book needs to pull all the sub-plots together[ and he could easily do this by leaving out the endless tedious descriptions that detract from the plot] so that book 11/12 can finish it off. I started reading this series in July 2000- I think I'd have given up years ago if I'd had to wait as long as some of you......
PS I like the Aes sedai!

Winter's Heart: Book Nine of 'The Wheel of Time'
Winter's Heart: Book Nine of 'The Wheel of Time' by Marsh Jordan (Mass Market Paperback - 30 Nov 2000)
Used & New from: 0.01