5.0 out of 5 stars detailed account, 13 Jan 2007
freethinker (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The History of the Mongol Conquests (Paperback)
This is not a light read by any means. The text is replete with footnotes but very informative. I studied the Mongol Empire last semester and found this book useful. The font size is quite small so if you are visually impaired it may not be suitable. A good academic introduction to the topic. I would recommend David Morgan's 'The Mongols' for a more easygoing, but still scholarly read.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Full History, 29 Mar 2006
This review is from: The History of the Mongol Conquests (Paperback)
While it's not an easy or a casual read, I do highly recommend this book. It looks at the Mongol conquests in an entirety, instead of focusing on just one of the Kahns, or a particular battle.
The approach of this book is fresh, and tells us more about events going on elsewhere in the world and the effects it had on the Mongols. I was unaware of Christian-Mongol alliances during the Crusade era for example. The broad sweep of this book does mean however, that in some cases not as much detail as appreciated is given for certain events, as the author believes us to be familiar with the subject. I hoped there would have been more detail about Kublias invasion of Japan, for instance. A large book with a lot of small text, no photos but a few maps, its commentary of the conquest is told from a political perspective, with lots of names of people and places to confuse. All major battles are covered, as mentioned though it's not told from a military point of view, so don't expect tactics or weapon types.
I enjoyed this book, and I did learn a great deal. I would recommend it over any of the books that only talks about Ghengis Kahn, and doesn't take the big picture into account.

ARRAY(0xb51e2f60)

The History of the Mongol Conquests
The History of the Mongol Conquests by J. J. Saunders (Paperback - 1 Feb 2001)
15.50